Korg Mono/Poly vs Crumar Spirit?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Mono/Poly vs Crumar Spirit?

Postby walkathon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I've never had face time w/ a Spirit before, but on paper, it does seem like a fair comparison .. and Spirit demos that I've heard tend to get into M/P territory. Granted Spirits seem more uncommon, but anyone here own both, or spent a decent amount of time w/ each?
walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Mono/Poly vs Crumar Spirit?

Postby Alex E » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 am

My unsolicited opinion is that unless the Spirit is going for as much as the Korg, go with the cheaper Mono/Poly. If I were to drop 3 grand on a vintage mono, it would be a Mini D. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby Kenneth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 am

I have not played either, but through watching videos of the two, they do seem remarkably similar. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the Spirit, not because of its rare status, but because it was co-designed by Bob Moog. His employment with Crumar is a cool bit of history that I'd like to own, and I find the Spirit to be visually appealing. Can't say that about the M/P. A lot of the gear Korg makes is ugly to me. A lot of people say that an instrument's appearance doesn't matter, that it's the sound that truly makes a good instrument. I don't agree. I think an instrument's appearance can alter a musician's perception of his tool, and can thus alter the outcome of any piece of music he composes with said tool. I like to be visually stimulated by the instrument I play.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby polyjuno » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:12 am

I actually think the Mono/Poly / Polysix design is one of the prettiest of all vintage synth designs. Korg should have used it more at the time. The Poly-61 and the even worse Poly-800 looks like shit in comparison. :/ But of course, by that time most synths looked pretty bad.
polyjuno

Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Postby Kenneth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 am

Mono/Poly is definitely not a visual thorn compared to most others, like the Poly61 and Poly800s, but I never thought of it as being "pretty". I do find the ES-50 Lambda to be quite beautiful in appearance, as well as sound. I think I would say that was their best design. I like that home-organ look.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Return to Synth Shootouts