Again: Juno or Polysix?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Again: Juno or Polysix?

Postby chipaudette » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:47 am

Well, I was doing the keybed as part of a much larger refit including MIDI. So, I bought a Fatar Keybed off Keyparts UK (http://www.keyparts.co.uk/) as well as their keybed scanning electronics (which output MIDI). Internal to my synth, I jacked the MIDI from the keybed scanner into my Polysix's MIDI controller.

If you haven't MIDI'fied your Polysix, it'll be harder to do....you'd need a keybed with the same kind of keyscanning connections as the stock keybed. You'd have to dive into a bunch of schematics to find that out.

Chip
chipaudette

Advertisement:

Postby Dr. Phibes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah I figured it would probably necessitate MIDIfication.

Thanks anyway.
Dr. Phibes

Postby Pro5 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Old thread but just to point out I fitted a Juno 2 keybed with frame (frame needs some adapting and you'll need to customise some holders) and it just about squeezes under the top cover.

No midi mod needed with this method of course (just same old fast contact system to key scanner)

All diodes will need reversing on the juno contact strip (laborious but easy) and you'll need to custom wire the keybed wires to match what they are on the Juno 2 (easier than it sounds)... it also has an A/T strip spare which can be fitted (like the other poster has) and the keys are semi weighted solid bouncy roland type (same as D-50) makes the P6 feel so much nicer to play and use! My other stock polysix is rarely brought out of storage with original keybed.
Moog SUB 37 | Juno 106 | Polysix | JD-800 | SY77 | DX7 II-D | Performer
HAD:SH101/JD-990/V-SYNTH/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX3P,8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/AN1x/ MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/W-STATION/M1/CZ1
Pro5

Gear: Moog SUB 37 | Juno 106 | Korg Polysix | Roland JD-800 | Yamaha SY77 | Software

Postby DesolationBlvd » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:11 am

I notice your sig - did you sell off a lot of stuff?

Back on topic, the post about the Polysix frequency response mod has me interested in hearing a comparison of the Juno-60 and the modded Polysix somehow. Unmodded, the Juno-60 has the highs the Polysix lacks so it wins for me there.
I'm the vaccine for the Access Virus.

Oberheim OB-Xa (8-voice) (sick) / DMX
Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / JP-8080 / Alpha Juno 2
Moog Voyager RME / MG-1
Korg MS-20 Kit
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Now that I've spent some time with both, I definitely feel they're different enough from each other. To me, the Polysix sounds like a 70's machine. Its strength is very much a super stringer. Dirty, but sweet. And of course, the Juno sounds like an 80's machine, no question. Super clean and accurate.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Swayze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:29 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:I notice your sig - did you sell off a lot of stuff?

There's no way you got rid of the 3P...I bet it's just in storage.
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, Microbrute, JX3P, V-Synth, JD990, TG77, EX8000, CZ101, Drumtraks

Postby sfd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 am

I had a Polysix many years ago. It's vry easy go get a nice sound out of it. Especially if you're a beginner. And it has indeed nice sounds. The arpeggiator is very nice too. All in all it's a good synth for a beginner while still having a high quality.

However, it's not worth the ridicilous prices I've seen for this synth lately.

For that amount you can have a way better and still just as cool modern analog synth.

Like the Dominion or Little Pathy for example.
sfd

Postby philip » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm

clegg wrote:I flat out traded my Polysix for a Juno 106. While some may think i did a bad move (financially at least) I don't regret it.

As everyone pretty much already stated, the Poly6 has more of an organic almost unpredictable sound. I wanted more of an in your face sound, and the Juno gave me exactly what I wanted.

What I do like about the Juno is its simplicity. I don't like fiddling too much with stuff. Sure, it only has two chorus settings, but imo they sound fantastic, so (at least for my taste) there would be no real reason to replace the buttons with a knob to get a full spectrum of chorus settings I most likely will never use.

I like the juno because it's simple and it sounds great. While it may be limited with what it does, it does it very well.

Bad move??Are you kidding?? 106 sounds 10000miles more organic and pleasant than the poly6. I think the P6 is pretty much overated, in the end of the day it's very muddy and cheap sounding synth.
philip

Postby Pro5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:40 am

philip wrote:
clegg wrote:I flat out traded my Polysix for a Juno 106. While some may think i did a bad move (financially at least) I don't regret it.

As everyone pretty much already stated, the Poly6 has more of an organic almost unpredictable sound. I wanted more of an in your face sound, and the Juno gave me exactly what I wanted.

What I do like about the Juno is its simplicity. I don't like fiddling too much with stuff. Sure, it only has two chorus settings, but imo they sound fantastic, so (at least for my taste) there would be no real reason to replace the buttons with a knob to get a full spectrum of chorus settings I most likely will never use.

I like the juno because it's simple and it sounds great. While it may be limited with what it does, it does it very well.

Bad move??Are you kidding?? 106 sounds 10000miles more organic and pleasant than the poly6. I think the P6 is pretty much overated, in the end of the day it's very muddy and cheap sounding synth.

:? :?: Maybe to you... it sounds very organic, pleasent and non muddy on loads of demos even on YT (let alone in the flesh). I've had a Juno 60 and it sounded like a digital next to the Polysix! And my 3P is closer to a 106 than the 60 in some ways and again it didn't sound as pleasant or warm/alive as the Polysix.

Here's a couple of good examples showing the power, warmth and sparkle (not mud) of a polysix - maybe not your tastes but far from bad sounding - and those VCOS, that filter, the total lack of needing the chorus to make it sound decent (like the 106). I could never make any of my Junos do half of what the P6 can do! It's a monster AND can still do the twinkly/sweet PWM stuff too - not just strings-machine-alike!

https://www.facebook.com/thekorgpolysix

demos from that page

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

:mrgreen:
HAD:SH101/JD-990/V-SYNTH/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX3P,8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/AN1x/ MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/W-STATION/M1/CZ1
Pro5

Gear: Moog SUB 37 | Juno 106 | Korg Polysix | Roland JD-800 | Yamaha SY77 | Software

Postby Pro5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:00 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Now that I've spent some time with both, I definitely feel they're different enough from each other. To me, the Polysix sounds like a 70's machine. Its strength is very much a super stringer. Dirty, but sweet. And of course, the Juno sounds like an 80's machine, no question. Super clean and accurate.

Does way way more than mimic a stringer though. I think as it's deeper than it looks, you have to take more time to get the traditional analog sounds from it (ala juno) but it does much more than Junos. Even though I enjoyed my Junos I got very bored of them after a short time, I never tired of the Polysix tone or filter!! See the first video above (no strings at all) just punchy, fat, warm, aggressive and twinkly sounds you'd expect from a poly analog - my crumar performer certainly can't do that! :D

For me the Juno 60 (let alone the even less vintage sounding 106) sounded too static with just a single DCO vs a discreet VCO. Nice sound for sure but very mechanical, not exactly what I like from analog (and far easier to reproduce in VA/Software than a real VCO synth with a meaty SSM filter like the Polysix!)
Pro5

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh, no doubt can it perform more roles than just the stringer sound. Its definitely one of its stronger suits though. The twinkly stuff is incredible. Love the res on that filter!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Pro5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Swayze wrote:

There's no way you got rid of the 3P...I bet it's just in storage.

Sorry guys, just saw this! :lol:

Sad to say - yes I did sell the 3P (still think it's a cracking little synth) but you'd be surprised about what you find yourself selling to raise money when there's a new Prophet VCO synth in your future ;)
Pro5

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts