Again: Juno or Polysix?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Again: Juno or Polysix?

Postby polyjuno » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:26 am

Better in what way? (And do you mean better than the Prophet or the Polysix?) The disadvantage of asking on a forum such as this, is that people have strong opinions about these things :P

From what I've hard, I must admit that the Junos and the Polysix sound warmer and nicer to me, and this is mainly what has kept me from already buying a Prophet 600. Even though it is more advanced, the demos I've heard never quite have the lushness of the Junos, or the slight mysterious sound that the Polysix has. Also, it's not as good for bass, as pointed out.

Right now, I'm considering buying a Juno-6 instead. It's priced at $800, but is in very good condition. I know I'll don't get presets, but in a way I think that can be a good thing. It will force me to learn to program these things, and due to its simplicity, I guess it won't be too much work to dial in a new patch. Is $800 far too much, or is it acceptable?

I still really want a Polysix though. I don't know why really. It has a more mysterious, organic sound, in contrast to the Juno demos I've heard. I compared the factory Rhodes patch on the Polysix (link in the first post) to the Juno-60 Rhodes patch, and to me the difference is huge. Of course those are just factory patches, would it be possible to make the Juno-60 sound like the Polysix does in that clip?
The Junos sound very good, but to me, it's just that they have a special sound character that seems to remain constant no matter what parameters are changed, and it's very easy to recognize. I'd be happy to be proven wrong of course. Again, I'm speaking solely based on what I've heard on limited demos...
polyjuno

Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Advertisement:

Postby fh991586 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:00 am

$800 for a Juno 6 is out of the line in ANY market: just forget it, and simply tell the seller it's too damn overpriced.
Otherwise, I can't add much to the thread. I like my Juno 106, just getting to discover the Polysix, and barely touched the Juno 6. Never used a Prophet 600 either...

Unless you can borrow the synths, or play a long time at someone else's studio with them, you can't really say which one(s) you'll prefer in the end. Even then, you might simply get tired after a while!

You will end up with 15 opinions if you ask 10 different VSE users... ;)
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
-Korg Poly61M, M1R, MicroKorg, Micro, Kaossilator/Pro, Monotron X3
-Yamaha DX7, TX816, TX81Z
-Crumar Performer, DSI Mopho, SCI Prophet 2002
fh991586

Gear: Too much to handle...

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 am

If a VCO synth needs effects to sound good in comparison to a DCO synth, then reality is broken.
The point is that DCO synths, like any JUNO, are locked in tune. Any synth which features VCOs is not. As such, there should be a pitch variability that lends a sort of "organic" feel. The whole concept of "richness" "fatness" "organic" or etc. is predicated upon the pitch variability that DCOs lack. If you feel a DCO has a "richer" or "fatter" or more pleasing tone than a VCO synth... well, that's just fuckin' crazytalk.
If you like the DCO sound, that's awesome. But come on.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Scories » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

I use a Doppelganger twin phaser/vibrato on my JX-3P DCO-synth to make it sound more like a Polysix. And it works just fine! But I don't think the opposite would be possible.
Scories

Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Postby Dr. Phibes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

I love the way the polysix sounds, especially in unison mode.
Dr. Phibes

Postby bhrama » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:02 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:If a VCO synth needs effects to sound good in comparison to a DCO synth, then reality is broken.
The point is that DCO synths, like any JUNO, are locked in tune. Any synth which features VCOs is not. As such, there should be a pitch variability that lends a sort of "organic" feel. The whole concept of "richness" "fatness" "organic" or etc. is predicated upon the pitch variability that DCOs lack. If you feel a DCO has a "richer" or "fatter" or more pleasing tone than a VCO synth... well, that's just fuckin' crazytalk.
If you like the DCO sound, that's awesome. But come on.

So what would you propose to replace my 60? I've been in a love/hate thing with it for years. Need an Arp, for my sound, love the chorus and the sub-osc....for the money I've have just overlooked the DCO shortcomings. But, like a chick who farts in bed...it was funny at first, now it just stinks. 8-)

VCO gives the royal camel-clutch, super fly snooka, atomic acid drop to DCOs all fucking day, IMO (yeah that was some old school WWF shit!!)
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, Tempest, coming soon : Sub 37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby Paraphonique » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 am

I have both a Polysix and a Juno 106. I don't have much time to post, so here's my brief take...

Polysix :
-VCOs will need adjustment once in a while, but they are very rich sounding;
-SSM Filters are super nice too. Great for textures, brass, pads and strings. Great at "dark and mysterious";
-Onboard FXs are a bonus. Again, great at "dark and mysterious".
-Arpeggiator, chord memory and hold function are extremely cool (and easy to abuse !)
-Keyboard is okay but feels a bit cheap;
-No portamento;
-No MIDI (unless an upgrade kit is considered. The one sold by Electro CHD is recommended.)

Juno 106 :
-No stress about tuning or drifting issues;
-Great keyboard and build quality/fantastic interface;
-Thinner sounding than the Polysix, but tighter and slicker;
-Portamento;
-Classic Roland sound (no need to say more);
-Onboard chorus FXs are sparkly;
-VCF/VCA chips are prone to failure, but there are well documented fixes;
-MIDI is standard.

So, you wont go wrong with any of those since they are both fantastic instruments. That said, if you are a beginner, I'd take a close look at the Junos. If you decide to go with the Polysix, just make sure you know someone who can make adjustments/do repairs or show you how to perform basic maintenance.

Cheers,
-P
Paraphonique

Postby polyjuno » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone, I have now made my decision. A Juno-6 is now (or soon) on the way to me :)
As I said in an earlier post, I think it will suit me perfectly as my first analog synth. It seems to have a clean and simple layout. It doesn't have any memory, but I don't think that will be too irritating. It seems simple enough to dial in a patch if you have it written down or something.

The Polysix still sounds better to me, but I just had to lay that dream on the shelf for the time being. They are just so ridiculously over priced, unless you want to try and fix a battery leak yourself. I won't take the risk of trying to apply my basic soldering skills to such a task. Anyways, I'll see how the Juno is when I've had it for a while, and see if I really want one then. Who knows? :)
polyjuno

Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Postby flat earth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 am

Given the choice of Polysix or Juno, for me its Polysix every time. I had a Juno 6, a good learning synth, but its samey sound eventually made me hate it. The P6 is a more transparent/individual synth and sounds so much nicer. The Juno these days, to me has become a bit of a cliche synth. It seems everyone and their dog has got one. :lol:
flat earth

Postby philip » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Opposite opinion in here. I think Polysix has a pretty dull and dumb kinda timbre, and Juno always sounds lovely and it's easy to put in the mix. Junies are more musical.
philip

Postby polyjuno » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

flat earth wrote:Given the choice of Polysix or Juno, for me its Polysix every time. I had a Juno 6, a good learning synth, but its samey sound eventually made me hate it. The P6 is a more transparent/individual synth and sounds so much nicer. The Juno these days, to me has become a bit of a cliche synth. It seems everyone and their dog has got one. :lol:

Well, I hope it doesn't come to the point where I hate it :P Anyways, I think it will be a terrific learning synth. I'll have plenty to get my head around on the Juno I think. If I found a Polysix at a reasonable price, I would have bought it instead, but in my case the Juno-6 was about half of the price of any Polysix available, and I don't think that price difference is justifiable (especially when considering that a Polysix might need more maintenance than a Juno-6.) A good thing is that if I find a Polysix at an ok price, I don't think the Juno will be too hard to sell with a profit, as there seems to be quite few on the Norwegian market.

philip wrote:Opposite opinion in here. I think Polysix has a pretty dull and dumb kinda timbre, and Juno always sounds lovely and it's easy to put in the mix. Junies are more musical.

Dull and dumb how? Indeed the Juno seems to always sound good, and very musical. Looking forward to when it gets here :)

By the way, does anyone know if the Juno-6 has a multi-tap transformer that I can change from 110V to 220/240V? The one I bought is a US model. I know that the Juno-106 has it (and perhaps the Juno-60?) Step-down transformers aren't really that expensive, but it would be nice if I didn't have to buy one.
polyjuno

Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Postby pflosi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:46 pm

polyjuno wrote:By the way, does anyone know if the Juno-6 has a multi-tap transformer that I can change from 110V to 220/240V? The one I bought is a US model. I know that the Juno-106 has it (and perhaps the Juno-60?) Step-down transformers aren't really that expensive, but it would be nice if I didn't have to buy one.

The 60 does not have it, at least not on the outside of the synth. Didn't bother to open it right now to check the inside ;) But I'd be surprised if the 6 has one...

Congrats for the purchase of this nice synth 8-)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby GameChanger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 pm

philip wrote:Opposite opinion in here. I think Polysix has a pretty dull and dumb kinda timbre, and Juno always sounds lovely and it's easy to put in the mix. Junies are more musical.

I hope you have owned a polysix yourself, because honestly there is nothing dull or dumb about the polysixs sound. I think the general consensus would agree. My advice to the OP, is grab the best "deal" you can find. The 60, Polysix, and p600 are all awesome synths.
GameChanger

Gear: MPC60

Postby polyjuno » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 pm

pflosi wrote:
polyjuno wrote:By the way, does anyone know if the Juno-6 has a multi-tap transformer that I can change from 110V to 220/240V? The one I bought is a US model. I know that the Juno-106 has it (and perhaps the Juno-60?) Step-down transformers aren't really that expensive, but it would be nice if I didn't have to buy one.

The 60 does not have it, at least not on the outside of the synth. Didn't bother to open it right now to check the inside ;) But I'd be surprised if the 6 has one...

Congrats for the purchase of this nice synth 8-)

Yeah, I meant internally on the transformer itself. Some devices have transformers where you can solder one of the wires to a different tap on the transformer according to what voltage you're going to apply.
However, there's no need to check, I found the service manual w/schematics for the Juno-6, and it seems that it has a different transformer for the Japanese, American and European versions. :/

EDIT: By the way, I've read a lot about this dead voice chip problem on the Juno 106. Is this a potential problem with the Juno 6 as well?
polyjuno

Juno-6
Fender Telecaster

Postby V301H » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

The chip problem is only an issue with the 106.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, CS70M, MS20, Pro-One, Poly 800, DX-7, CP35, Casio WK-3800, Hammond C3 and M102, Vox Continental and Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50
V301H

Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts