yamaha motif es vs korg m50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

yamaha motif es vs korg m50

Postby rickyd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 pm

As always with synths vs other synths, it all depends on how it's used, but which between the two mentioned synths has better overall sounds, like more authentic realism in acoustic instruments, better synths, pads, more versatility in the range of sounds offered, etc.
rickyd

Advertisement:

Re: yamaha motif es vs korg m50

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Realistic acoustic instruments: Motif ES

Synths/pads: M50 (Motif ES is very good at these but Korg has many more factory presets)

More versatility: Motif ES because it can sample, host PLG boards (3 max) to add VA and FM synth engines (add complete DX7 onboard!), more/better FX processors, process external audio through FX, more real time controllers, aftertouch keyboard, more powerful sequencer (step, pattern and song modes), integrated control surface support for Cubase, Logic, Sonar and Digital Performer, higher polyphony (128 vs. 80, PLG boards add even more polyphony), NO WALL WART power supply.

I used to own the ES, now own Motif XF. If you have specific questions about ES shoot...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby rickyd » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Very informative. Thank you so much!
rickyd

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Slightly unfair to compare the M50, which is a semi-budget keyboard, with the Motif ES, which is a former top-of-the-line keyboard. A better compare would be the M50 to the MO, or the Motif to the M3.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby krzeppa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Realistic acoustic instruments: Motif ES

Synths/pads: M50 (Motif ES is very good at these but Korg has many more factory presets)

More versatility: Motif ES because it can sample, host PLG boards (3 max) to add VA and FM synth engines (add complete DX7 onboard!), more/better FX processors, process external audio through FX, more real time controllers, aftertouch keyboard, more powerful sequencer (step, pattern and song modes), integrated control surface support for Cubase, Logic, Sonar and Digital Performer, higher polyphony (128 vs. 80, PLG boards add even more polyphony), NO WALL WART power supply.

I used to own the ES, now own Motif XF. If you have specific questions about ES shoot...

Ashe37 wrote:Slightly unfair to compare the M50, which is a semi-budget keyboard, with the Motif ES, which is a former top-of-the-line keyboard. A better compare would be the M50 to the MO, or the Motif to the M3.

I agree with both of these statements. I was actually doing a side by side comparison of the MO8 and the M50 a while back trying to determine which one to get. It didn't take me long to realize that I was far more enamoured with the MO8 over the M50. It was really no comparison to me. Yes the Korg had some better synth sounds, but the Yamaha had far more realistic sounding instruments. I wasn't buying it for synthetic sounds either because that is what I use my other gear for. I think it would better to compare the Motif XS or XF to M3 nowadays. To be honest though I thought the "realistic" sounds on both the M3 and the M50 were dull to me.
Have you looked into Kurzweil for realistic sounds? I think the PC3LE6 sounds pretty good.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby rickyd » Sat May 05, 2012 4:26 pm

To me the Motif series (I did use to own an original Motif Rack before though) makes more sense as a ROMpler. They don't come with a wide variety of different sounds as others, but their material are of higher quality. The way I see it, why have several sucky versions of one instrument when you can have one high quality instrument.

Anyway, the Motif Rack ES is making my mouth water, lol
rickyd

Return to Synth Shootouts