JX-8P vs Juno 106

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

JX-8P vs Juno 106

Postby SSquirrel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 am

I have both of these and I'm curious how people think they stack up against each other. I do have the PG800 so there isn't a problem with controls. They're both early DCO synths. What's the consensus? Currently I have those and a Minitaur. Planning to buy the Minibrute and pondering a Mopho KB. Mopho could be expanded with a Tetra or P08 modulae later if I ever wanted to. Just not sure if I will want both poly's around if I add in both mono synths. I should mention I'm not that worried about music style, I tend to just be tweaking sounds for its own sake. If a friend of mine moves back to Kentucky I may try and pin something more specific down. I'm happy knob twiddling generally, and no, not starting a modular heh. My wife would kill me.
SSquirrel

Advertisement:

Re: JX-8P vs Juno 106

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 am

The JX is obviously the more versatile machine--2 DCOs, separate amp and filter envelopes, velocity sensitivity, after touch (if you're lucky or have time to fix it), etc. But it's not always about just the feature set, is it?

I just got a 106 today actually (well HS60--same thing). So far they sound fairly similar to me--not exactly the same of course, but both have that early Roland DCO vibe and a sound that I always think of as being soft. Having had the HS 60 just a couple of hours, I'm probably biased, but if I were choosing between the two I would go for the JX--especially if I were looking to limit my rig to just one poly.
Last edited by GuyaGuy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 am

So... you have both, and want to know what WE think? Why not just let your ears decide? :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby SSquirrel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:So... you have both, and want to know what WE think? Why not just let your ears decide?

Currently the Juno is in bad shape b/c almost all the switches on the panel need replaced. I'm going to get it fixed later this year, but I figured I'd toss it out there and see what people thought about how the 2 stacked up against each other.
SSquirrel

Postby c-level » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:So... you have both, and want to know what WE think? Why not just let your ears decide? :roll:

i was bout to be a smartass and say the same. also awaiting the arrival of my JX8P which needs a little work. the juno needs voice chip/calibration so im hoping the JX will tide me over and be a bit more reliable (even with a few dead keys and pitch bend i can MIDI it...)
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm

There's something to be said for the immediacy of the 106, but honestly, unless you're devoted to THAT sound, I would just ditch it and keep the JX. Aside from PWM, I don't think there's anything the Juno can do that the JX can't.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby HideawayStudio » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:There's something to be said for the immediacy of the 106, but honestly, unless you're devoted to THAT sound, I would just ditch it and keep the JX. Aside from PWM, I don't think there's anything the Juno can do that the JX can't.

Hmm... I'm not so sure...

I have both a Juno-106 (which I've poured a -ton- of effort into restoring to its former glory) and an MKS70 Super JX & PG800 (effectively two JX8Ps in a box). I also used to own an 8P....

My spin on this is that the Juno-106 is indeed delightfully immediate in it's superbly effective user interface and is capable of rendering a nice array of analog sounds but often shows it's weakness when its chorus is switched off thanks to the phase locked nature of its DCOs (they are all clocked from one master oscillator unlike the Oberheim Matrix 6 which runs rings around this beast!) - however - it does have pretty quick envelopes and this, in my opinion, is where the 8P, JX10 and MKS70 fall behind. Despite their two osc + subosc architecture, they seem to be less able to render aggressive bass and percussive sounds. They also sound a tad warmer to me.

In other words... I've always preferred the 8P et al for big slow pads, lush strings, drones and cool laser harp style sync effects and the 106 for bass, plucked and percussive type sounds along with weird ping-bell type timbres.

I recently repaired a Matrix 1000 and I have to say I am very impressed with this little beast in conjunction with a PC editor. I prefer it to my Super JX! It doesn't share the discrete oscillator structure of the Matrix 6 but is really flexible and capable of making some huge sounds (ie. perfect for analog on a budget)....

Just watch out for dodgy Curtis voice chips :)
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby Pro5 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Neither - JX-3P ;)

I enjoyed the 8P, but the 3P has more of the 'juno' sound and more besides. Less apparent features than the 8P but just sounds better imo. Better depends on what you like in your synths of course, in this case the 3P sounds less digital, 'more analog' and with quite a unique character. Said elsewhere i prefered my D-50 to the 8P when it came time to decide (ended up rebuying a D-50 after I sold my 8P!) It can do pads and more, and 3P covers the other side. If you really want the 8P - try the MKS70 instead! :)

106..... no

If you want juno go Juno 60. If you want Juno with a bit of 8P vibe get an Alpha.
Last edited by Pro5 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby HideawayStudio » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Pro5 wrote:Neither - JX-3P ;)

I enjoyed the 8P, but the 3P has more of the 'juno' sound and more besides. Less apparent features than the 8P but just sounds better imo. Better depends on what you like in your synths of course, in this case the 3P sounds less digital, 'more analog' and with quite a unique character. Said elsewhere i prefered my D-50 to the 8P when it came time to decide (ended up rebuying a D-50 after I sold my 8P!) It can do pads and more, and 3P covers the other side.

106..... no

Interesting.... almost all of the synths you have in your collection are in mine too :)

You clearly like the D-50 - ditto - I have a D-550 rack & PG-1000 in the studio and I will never part with it. I've always thought the D-50 underrated - it has a heck of lot of character and is surprisingly powerful. 808 State used to sware by the D-50 and for good reason. For me it's the combination of glassy aliased crunch plus warmth and oodles of character along with it's superb PWM effects and all those (yes overused!) Eric Persing classics all in one box.

And yes... the JX3P is highly underrated. Just like the SH-101, it's toy like appearance has fooled all to many potential owners over the years - it's by far the most warm, organic and sonically interesting of the JX family. I've had several chances to purchase these over the years and am now kicking myself as the prices are really starting to climb.

I think there is too much 106 bashing on here - despite it's problems it's a cracking good little (affordable!) polysynth with decent midi and patch memory...

I still vote for a Matrix 6 or 1000 though... :)
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:I recently repaired a Matrix 1000 and I have to say I am very impressed with this little beast in conjunction with a PC editor. I prefer it to my Super JX! It doesn't share the discrete oscillator structure of the Matrix 6 but is really flexible and capable of making some huge sounds (ie. perfect for analog on a budget)....

Not sure what you mean here. The M-1000 and Matrix-6 are identical internally, no?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:I recently repaired a Matrix 1000 and I have to say I am very impressed with this little beast in conjunction with a PC editor. I prefer it to my Super JX! It doesn't share the discrete oscillator structure of the Matrix 6 but is really flexible and capable of making some huge sounds (ie. perfect for analog on a budget)....

Not sure what you mean here. The M-1000 and Matrix-6 are identical internally, no?

no picture of a matrix-6's guts on google, but here's the pic of the insides of a matrix 1000 which is exactly what I remembered from the last time I had one open. clearly mostly integrated circuits.

http://wolzow.mindworks.ee/analog/m1k.htm

from googling, it looks like the matrix 6 uses cem3396 as well, so IDK what would qualify that as discrete..... :?

anyway - i'll second that the jx-3p just sounds good. it sounds hotter than others and does a sort of distorted string sound (like an electric guitar) very well. the juno 106 is great for learning and for that squelchy roland bass. the jx-8p sounds ok (pretty good actually) but lacks the character that makes the 3p so inviting.

of the lot of them, I only regret selling the 3p.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Pro5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 pm

of the lot of them, I only regret selling the 3p.

I ended up regretting sellling my 6 over 15 years ago so just bought a 60 and it sits nicely today with my JX-3P. Both doing things the other doesn't. :D
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 am

I love the character of my Jx-8p, and somehow everything I record with it sounds great in a mix.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Return to Synth Shootouts