studio electronics omega 2 vs dsi tempest

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

studio electronics omega 2 vs dsi tempest

Postby dionysiananarchy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 am

i have the omega 2, its the small chasse, you cant add voices to it, this seems like a strange comparison, i was just thinking of trading it for a tempest, but i am not sure, are the voices as good and fat and overall high quality as the omega? i have a machine-drum and jomox m-base 01 as well, so i am thinking the tempest might be a little redundant,,,,
Behold the crucifix, what does it symbolize?
Pallid incompetence hanging on a tree.
dionysiananarchy

Gear: octatrack, omega 2, monomachine, evolver, virus snow, vermona drm mk3, fb01, kurzweil mangler
Band: dionysian anarchy

Advertisement:

Re: studio electronics omega 2 vs dsi tempest

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 pm

The Tempest has a choice sound that can be quite fat. But I've not had an Omega to compare it to. I will say though that it's the DSI unit that is capable of sounding the most vintagey. (I have the PEK and had the Tetra and have played the MoPho.) It goes way beyond vintage sounds of course. But I'm guessing the analog signal path, compression and analog drive, and added osc slop help in getting those late 70s/early 80s tones. Maybe it will make your Jomox redundant. ;)
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Explorer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:03 pm

I would go for the Tempest.

Had a Omega2 not so long ago and i was extremely happy it was sold.
I bought it as it thought it would ad something extra,but boy,was i dissapointed.

If somebody would have offered me his Tempest for the Omega2, i would trade it immediatly.
Explorer

Postby dionysiananarchy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:54 pm

hmm, very interesting points, if the tempest sounds as good as the evolver, or almost as good, i am sold, i have the evolver desktop, that is a really nice synth, that is for sure, plus 6 voices would be awesome,
i mainly got the omega cause i was just looking around a music shop in west los angeles, the guy told me he had a few close out items, got the omega for 1000, i thought that was tooo good of a deal to pass up,
Behold the crucifix, what does it symbolize?
Pallid incompetence hanging on a tree.
dionysiananarchy

Gear: octatrack, omega 2, monomachine, evolver, virus snow, vermona drm mk3, fb01, kurzweil mangler
Band: dionysian anarchy

Return to Synth Shootouts