ESQ-1 vs K3 vs DW-8000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: ESQ-1 vs K3 vs DW-8000

Postby madmarkmagee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 am

Ashe37 wrote:
The ESQ does have better modulation possibilities, but i wouldn't call it a mod matrix, considering that there are entries for the modulation sources and values at each destination...

Well, it may not have the text book definition of a "mod matrix" but what it has is essentially the same thing.

It's modulation capabilities are a lot better then most synths that say they have a mod matrix....
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Advertisement:

Postby dustinh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 am

Here is some SQ80 goodness I made just for you, VSE. Actually, it's super rough and poorly played. I just wanted to throw together a few patches of mine real quick to show you some of my favorite type of sounds I make with it. These patches are all esq-1 compatible, meaning, you could make these exact same patches with the esq-1.

I used some reverb on the pad sounds, but no other effets used, just pure sq-80. The overdrive dirt is all created internally on the sq-80. Again, these are all sounds using the same waveforms available on the esq-1 so really no difference in the two.

Last edited by dustinh on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinh

Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Postby madmarkmagee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 am

dustinh wrote:Here is some SQ80 goodness I made just for you, VSE. Actually, it's super rough and poorly played. I just wanted to throw together a few patches of mine real quick to show you some of my favorite type of sounds I make with it. These patches are all esq-1 compatible, meaning, you could make these exact same patches with the esq-1.

I used some reverb on the pad sounds, but no other effets used, just pure sq-80. The overdrive dirt is all created internally on the sq-80. Again, these are all sounds using the same waveforms available on the esq-1 so really no difference in the two.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ig0mpmaa8zpoggl

=D>

Great Patches!!
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby dustinh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks! Glad you like them. This is one of the few synths that I can really get lost in programming it because you can get a lot of little surprises with it.

Also, I changed the link to soundcloud for easier listening.
dustinh

Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Postby Dr. Phibes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 am

ooooh, I hadn't really thought about the ESQ-1 before. I've been looking for a DW-8000 of late just to try out the hybrid sound but reading through the specs and listening to the demos the ESQ-1 seems rather tempting all of a sudden.
Dr. Phibes

Postby Joshy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 am

ESQ-1 is great.

Joshy

Postby Nannerfan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 am

I'd say out of the 3. The Kawai K3 has the best tone.. but most limited.
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby Walter Ego » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 am

Well, I didn't have to wait long for a deal to appear! There has been a downright rash of ESQ-1s up for sale on CL in the Boston area, and I snagged one for $99, which included a tank-like road case (foam not rotting yet), 2 voice carts (Crystal Voice X and something else, and I think they ARE writeable), AND a backup battery which has not yet been installed. So, I have no internal memory, but I do have the carts, and I need to install the battery. The only issue I've run into is that the data slider is pretty unreliably jumpy.

That was the steal of the year for me. I've been noodling around with 3 osc moog-style saw leads all afternoon...

So now I have an ESQ-1, and I think I'll live with it for awhile. Love the power under the hood.

Thanks for your helpful experiences, opinions and posted patches!

Walter out...
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby calyx93 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I'd say out of the 3. The Kawai K3 has the best tone.. but most limited.

I agree - it has the most useful variety of waves IMO - a couple are from the PPG wavetables. The SSM-2044 filters make it even more delicious. Limited in programmability, yes - but it's warmer and smoother than the other two. Great LFO waves too.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby Walter Ego » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Still been having a great time with the ESQ-1; one negative I've run into is that the LFOs are definitely digital, and fairly primitive--I love how flexible the mod routing is, but at really low rates, you can easily hear the "stepping" in the LFO. That's really the first legitimate design flaw I've encountered.

Still loving that I can get passable Model D sounds from this 100 dollar tank. Probably has to do with the 3 osc design. I might move on from SAW sounds at some point, but I could see myself making variations on the detuned saw patch for the next couple months. Ah...the healing power of the saw...so much power...
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Still been having a great time with the ESQ-1; one negative I've run into is that the LFOs are definitely digital, and fairly primitive--I love how flexible the mod routing is, but at really low rates, you can easily hear the "stepping" in the LFO. That's really the first legitimate design flaw I've encountered.

Still loving that I can get passable Model D sounds from this 100 dollar tank. Probably has to do with the 3 osc design. I might move on from SAW sounds at some point, but I could see myself making variations on the detuned saw patch for the next couple months. Ah...the healing power of the saw...so much power...

haha... you can definitely get a lot of mileage from that one wave! And it does some great moog-y basses. The key to true analog (or at least polymoog) nirvana is to use subtle LFO modulation on each osc (using all 3 LFOs). Ridiculous mega-string sounds to be had, and you will certainly not be hearing individual artifacts at that point!
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts