iPad vs Android tablets

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

iPad vs Android tablets

Postby gmeredith » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi everyone, I'm at the point where I want to consider what portable tablet I should choose if I want to go down the live performance route with these devices.

As I know very little about the pros and cons of each, could we make a list of these for the iPad vs Android tablets? It might be helpful as a repository that others can refer to, perhaps even become a sticky.

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered - I did a quick search and didn't find anything specific or similar.

I would like to concentrate on each of the 2 devices' hardware ability in live performances to run soft synths, connectivity (to a master keyboard or controller), faults and limitations. Also, al list of freeware apps would be nice, for each, too.

Please moderators feel free to move this to another section - I put it in here because although these are software devices I wanted to discuss the hardware aspect of them.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Advertisement:

Re: iPad vs Android tablets

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 am

The number one thing you should be considering is what software is available for each platform. I know a lot of stuff is available for iOS but not that much for Android. There might be more though, I just don't use that platform. Have a look at this and see if there's anything you like the look of.

http://www.androidmusician.com/

I wouldn't be limiting yourself to freeware BTW, if you're willing to spend $500+ on a tablet you should spend the $5-10 to buy decent apps to run on it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby stephen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am

I think for music, ipad wins easily. Better instruments, low latency, more choice, etc.

But for general use I prefer android. I sold my ipad to get a Nexus 7, no regrets. I *do* regret selling other things to fund the ipad in the first place....

I just didn't get along with it, both with instruments and general use - the biggest problem I had was connecting to my wifi router, in the end I just got annoyed with it and let it go. But having said that if somebody dropped me off at One-Synth Island, held a gun to my head and said, "You must choose a music tablet" it would have to the the ipad.

Maybe its better with some sort of midi controller/keyboard attached.
Stephen(2)
stephen

Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Postby gmeredith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 am

OK this is great! Yes definitely will get into non-freeware apps too, freeware ones are good just to get my head around a new device, that's all.

Connections: I'd be interested in a hardware connection - OK, so what are the options out there for both types?

iPad:

I saw an IPad to USB connector - can it be used to plug in a standard MIDI to USB adapter (Uno, edirol etc) and then use a MIDI keyboard as a controller? Anyone sucessfully tried this/ what were some issues along the way??

Android:

Do most android tablets have a USB port? If so, will they run a MIDI to USB adapter and MIDI keyboard setup as per above?

At the end of all this I'd like to make up a summary sticky or something from all this knowledge gleaned!

Cheers, Graham
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70215&start=15#p684455

Ipads will work with any class compliant midi usb hardware. I don't know about android, maybe have a read of that link I posted before and you can tell us all.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby th0mas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 am

If you end up with an Android device, you should get an app I wrote called OSCPad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cpad&hl=en

It's.. a clone of TouchOSC. Even loads TouchOSC layouts directly.

I also wrote one of the better DJ apps for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... smod.djpad

Both have free trial versions with advertising.

On a whole, though, ipad has a ton more mature apps for music making than Android, no doubt about it.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby natrixgli » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 am

Android rules, I use it on my phone. But for music making, it's very grim. For live purposes, fuggedaboudit. The iPad dominates for now, and I doubt android will catch up any time soon. However I could see dedicated music hardware running android at some point. Problem is that audio apps require precise coordination between hardware and software. There are simply so many different android devices and versions that getting apps to properly support a good, useable low latency audio experience is quite difficult.
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby gmeredith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 am

Hmm, interesting to know where it's at. Are any able to run some sort of vst host so you could run your favourite vst plugin synth?? That would change the whole scene if you could.
gmeredith

Postby natrixgli » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 am

gmeredith wrote:Hmm, interesting to know where it's at. Are any able to run some sort of vst host so you could run your favourite vst plugin synth?? That would change the whole scene if you could.

Nope. But there's good stuff on the iPad. Samplr is outstanding. IPolysix and iMS-20 are a blast. On Android the only decent apps I've found are not real time or suitable for live playing. Caustic 2, Nanoloop, and Sunvox are android apps that stand out to me. Though I got bored with Caustic pretty fast.

Audiobus is a real game changer for IPad. Really turns it into a powerful tool.
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby Carey M » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm

gmeredith wrote:I saw an IPad to USB connector - can it be used to plug in a standard MIDI to USB adapter (Uno, edirol etc) and then use a MIDI keyboard as a controller? Anyone sucessfully tried this/ what were some issues along the way??

I have no idea how up to date this list is, but here it is anyway:

http://iosmidi.com/devices/

But like Stabby wrote, any class compliant usb midi interface or controller should work. I have an Esi Midimate II hooked up via the camera connection kit and it works as advertised.

I'm not a big fan of iOS, but at the moment it offers so much in the music making tablet world.

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby Infrasound » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't know for certain having not tried myself, but I have heard that the Android operating system has very high latency and that this is a hardware and not software problem (i.e can't be fixed with just an OS update).

The iPad has very low latency. I don't notice any, and I'm running my system wirelessly. You can (and most likely will) ger network dropouts at some point. For some reason the iPad connections can be quite flaky - for the most part mine is good but without warning I get random dropouts.

It looks like there are apps for music on the Android but if the latency is as bad as I've heard I would question the usefulness of them. The iPad has a lot of apps and unfortunately there are a lot of crap ones that cannot be tried before being bought. Even though they're cheap it does add up. I spent $5.99 (I think) on a controller app for my desktop Evolver last year, and I never got it to work. I felt a bit pissed off over that one; the developer had a melt-down and pulled the app I think. There was a write-up at Synthtopia and from reading the comments I got the impression no-one felt any sympathy for the developer (justifiably so IMO)

Midi Touch is an excellent program which gives Midi controller functionality and IMO it's easier to use than the Novation. The developer has a fairly active forum and appears to listen to user feedback.

The other program I use a fair bit is TouchAble. An Ableton Controller, it does a fairly good job although I feel it crams too much into a small space. There's a lot of functionality built-in but I tend to use it mostly as a clip launcher, like a giant remote control. I use neither the drum pads, nor the keys, but have been playing around with the Operator template they put in and that's useful.
I suspect I will buy Push this year, but I may still use TouchAble. Ableton has worked well for me with multiple controllers and I see no need for this to change unless Push is just so good that it can do everything well. I think Push will be an excellent piece of hardware, but not the be-all/end-all of controllers.
Infrasound

Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Postby th0mas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Infrasound wrote:I don't know for certain having not tried myself, but I have heard that the Android operating system has very high latency and that this is a hardware and not software problem (i.e can't be fixed with just an OS update).

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434. First reported in 2009, still having people requesting a fix this week. It's brutal, and no it's not a hardware issue.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Carey M » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

th0mas wrote:http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434. First reported in 2009, still having people requesting a fix this week. It's brutal, and no it's not a hardware issue.

Wow. That really is rather depressing :|
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby gmeredith » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:00 am

Yes, it is :(

I was really hoping to see an alternative to the iPad; lots of open source synth projects running reliably on android platforms like you get with PC (sometimes!), ASIO support, VST support etc. Doesn't seem so.

I brought this topic up because I have access to an iPad I can borrow but before I start investing money in it and apps I wanted to see if I was better off going down an android route. Seems not so at the moment.

cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Postby Infrasound » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 am

If it's a software issue then it's worse than depressing; it's sad.
Infrasound

Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts