iPad vs Android tablets

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: iPad vs Android tablets

Postby clubbedtodeath » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:40 pm

gmeredith wrote:
Why the fixation on VSTs though?

1) Because I already have a stack of vst synths that I really like

2) because I'm making my own VST synts, such as this

Curious. An iPad can be a decent sketchpad to jot down musical ideas on, exporting them later to the studio PC -- but do you really want it to be anything else? It's true that there are virtual synths (such as Thor), which can you link to sequencing programs running on the same iPad, but that sounds like a lot of fuss. I just want to open up my iPad and press a button to start making music, immediately. For anything more complex, I'd buy a laptop.*

[*] Take aforementioned grumping with pinch of salt. Had an 11-hour day at work, and as I write this I've got a manic infant trying to kick the door down. :happy3:
clubbedtodeath

Advertisement:

Postby Carey M » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Curious. An iPad can be a decent sketchpad to jot down musical ideas on, exporting them later to the studio PC -- but do you really want it to be anything else?: [/size]

Well, if you do so desire, it can be! Besides using my iPad as a sketchpad (DM1, Tabletop) and a musical toy (Yellofier!) I also use it as a sort of Nord Electro module replacement (Neo Soul Keys and now Galileo) and/or VA (Magellan/Sunrizer). More portable than a laptop and with less fuss.
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby gmeredith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 am

but do you really want it to be anything else

Well, yes, I guess. I was kind of hoping it could be a live performance synth module of my choice, to replace my rack synths as far as possible. I don't really want to use it to create work, but to play back created work live - more reliably than a laptop, with all the "instantness" that an iPad brings. I have a variety of vst synths that can replace the synths I have in hardware. The only other outboard piece of equipment I would use would be a sequencer to run the iPad synths via MIDI, and a controller keyboard, and maybe a drum pad setup

For anything more complex, I'd buy a laptop

Yes, already have that, and wanted to move away from it.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts