iPad vs Android tablets

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: iPad vs Android tablets

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 am

IMO the Android problems are twofold: lack of a unified low-latency audio standard, and lack of natively compiled applications.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Advertisement:

Postby th0mas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Ashe37 wrote:IMO the Android problems are twofold: lack of a unified low-latency audio standard, and lack of natively compiled applications.

With the NDK you can write natively compiled code, my apps are written in C++ with just a java shim layer to set up the GL window.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 pm

th0mas wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:IMO the Android problems are twofold: lack of a unified low-latency audio standard, and lack of natively compiled applications.

With the NDK you can write natively compiled code, my apps are written in C++ with just a java shim layer to set up the GL window.

but still no unified ll audio standard?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby th0mas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 am

Ashe37 wrote:
th0mas wrote:

but still no unified ll audio standard?

Correct. You end up with sizeable latency. I fake my dj app's GUI to act like it's playing one audio buffer earlier than what was last delivered so the GUI lines up with what you're hearing.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Mac Moog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:16 am

If you want frustration or just like to write code or tinker with technology, then get Android. If you want to just use it and have it work, with lots of apps, but have less control over the actual code that runs it, then get Apple.

I found that preferred to spend more of my time making music that tinkering with the technology. Therefore I have 3 iPads linked together with my hardware synths for my live rig.
Mac Moog

Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Postby Bitexion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:52 am

Aye, the Android world is not for musicians or musician wannabe's. There's just so many synths and sequencer apps for the iOS, and the big hardware suppliers seem to prefer Apple too, with the iRig midi interface or mini keyboards.

I for one am happy using Android for my smart phones (never want an iPhone), and my iPad 4 as an expensive toy for games and synths and other apps.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby madmarkmagee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Has anyone considered using a windows 8 tablet as a performance synth? I can imagine if you had a decent sized tablet you would have awesome control over softsynths like the Arturia CS 80V? Only problem is you can't make some like the CS 80 full screen can you? :?
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm

no but you don't have to play the cs80v on its native keyboard, you could use any MIDI app/sequencer with bigger keys. But the cs80v is already too small to operate on a 26" pc screen, can't imagine trying to hit the right buttons on a tablet eww
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby muhammed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:30 pm

think twice , I made same mistake of buying i pad4 two weeks ago, yes there are a lot of apps. for i pad but nothing is free, it will cost to you double ipad price. you should buy nexus 10.
consequently ipad performs better but no free application:(
muhammed

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm

But since the developers expect people to actually pay for the apps they make, they are usually good quality, whereas 50% of the Android market stuff is garbage.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby natrixgli » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:36 pm

muhammed wrote:ipad performs better but no free application:(

The same is true for the few decent music apps on Google Play. If you want quality music apps, you have to pay for them. Sunvox, Nanoloop, Caustic, etc all cost money.

But whereas there's maybe 10 good Android music apps, there's hundreds of good iPad ones. They range from $1.99 up to $50 but they have much better interfaces, lower latency, and MIDI/Audiobus/Jack support.

Like I said earlier, Android for music is a barren desert, mostly because iPad offers better I/O and real time audio support. Android lacks severely in this department.
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby gmeredith » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:02 am

Yes, now that I've been looking at various iPad apps, I'm actually surprised at how cheap they are! Most are only a couple of dollars, and in my books, that pretty much free as far as I'm concerned. A walk to work 2 days a week instead of catching the bus is going to get me something every week for it ;)

Would I be correct in assuming Garageband is a must have for an iPad - I mean, at $6, have I got much to lose?? :lol: I see you can load vst plugins into it - that's worth it as a vst host in itself!

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby natrixgli » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:53 am

gmeredith wrote:Would I be correct in assuming Garageband is a must have for an iPad - I mean, at $6, have I got much to lose?? :lol: I see you can load vst plugins into it - that's worth it as a vst host in itself!

Cheers, Graham

For me GarageBand is useful for fake guitar and fake strings. Apart from that I avoid it. Since I don't have a Mac, getting projects out of it is a PITA since it can't do multitrack export or Audiobus support.
natrixgli

Postby gmeredith » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 am

I'd probably be more interested in it as a cheap vst host for vst softsynths/drum machines that I could use live, and run from an external sequencer - I probably wouldn't be doing so much project work on it itself.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby natrixgli » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 am

gmeredith wrote:I'd probably be more interested in it as a cheap vst host for vst softsynths/drum machines that I could use live, and run from an external sequencer - I probably wouldn't be doing so much project work on it itself.

I'm pretty sure Garageband for iPad doesn't support VSTs.
natrixgli

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts