Moog MG-1 vs DSI Mopho vs ?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Moog MG-1 vs DSI Mopho vs ?

Postby xanadu97 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 am

I know they're completely different synths, but I can only spend about $400 and these are the only synths for the price that I'm interested in. It will be used mostly for leads, but also some bass. I play mostly prog rock like Rush, ELP, Yes, and Pink Floyd. I basically just want a simple 2 osc synth with a good filter. Which one would be better for me? Any other suggestions?
xanadu97

Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Advertisement:

Re: Moog MG-1 vs DSI Mopho vs ?

Postby GuyaGuy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 am

Based on your criteria, the MG-1 would probably better suit you, although they are getting harder to find at $400. The MoPho is great but its strength lies in its complex routing and onboard sequencer, which are more complex than the "simple 2 osc synth with a good filter" that you're looking for. And the non-keyboard version is not fun to program. Another option would be the Arturia MiniBrute--a bit over budget but not by much if you buy used or find a coupon.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby bochelli » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 am

You will be better with the Realistic MG-1, for the moment if you are lucky you might get one at a good price , for now at least, i think they are better than a Moog Rogue , but thats only my view its the sort of cheapo ring modulator / organ poly in effect a 3 vco synth for peanuts.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Postby cgren72 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I am personally not that impressed with the mg-1, but liked mine for certain things like osc sync, ring mod, etc. It looks and feels cheep, but is okay for a couple sounds. The mopho will probably have a wider range of sounds
cgren72

Postby walkathon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

purely FYI ... $400 BIN

walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Return to Synth Shootouts