SCI Drumtraks vs SCI Tom

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

SCI Drumtraks vs SCI Tom

Postby hinotori » Mon May 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi,
I have an SCI Tom with basic percussion cartridge and have the chance to get a Drumtraks from a friend but can't justify (afford) to have both... I'm keen to hear any personal opinions of which is best and what you prefer about each?
thanks
hinotori

Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Advertisement:

Re: SCI Drumtraks vs SCI Tom

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

All I have to say to you is this- Keep the TOM. Sounds very similar, yet wayyyy more flexible. The TOM is one of my favorite drum machines. Out of the two I bought for $20 a piece, I wish I would have kept at least one...
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby THEODICY » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm

I have no experience with the Tom but have a drumtraks. With the traks you can burn your own sounds to eproms and easily swap them out with zif sockets. The whole burning setup will cost around $140 or so to get you started. Plus the sequencer has a nice lazy feel, can't speak for the tom. Depending on what how you process your drums will determine what suits you better. I like chopping up recorded audio in post so swappable sounds of my own custom variety is most important to me. You can also load in DX, DMX and Linn sounds to the traks, same code for the eproms. Off topic here slightly but with a DX you gain more sample time for the bass drum over the traks, but with the traks you get to save pitch data in your programs where the DX has potentiometers for global tuning over all patterns; so pick your poison.
THEODICY

Postby hinotori » Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 pm

thanks for your posts.
Im looking forward to trying out the drumtraks, from the online videos I have seen it looks like the drumtraks is much quicker and intuitive to get patterns with lots of varying pitch and volume data in due to the 2 knobs on the front panel. Also, the drumtraks has swing that is missing on the TOM... but saying that, I love the timing/flow of the TOM and also the "note repeat" and way of nesting patterns within patterns. Of course having both would be best, and a DX, if I can work it out with my accountant ;)
hinotori

Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Thu May 30, 2013 2:28 pm

The TOM has HUMAN FACTOR, dude. :lol:

But srsly, this is the same thing. I wouldn't even be surprised if the algorithm is exactly the same on both machines.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Return to Synth Shootouts