Poly Evolver vs Prophet 12

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Poly Evolver vs Prophet 12

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:37 pm

I've been listening to a session of mine that featured the Poly Evolver I had to let go earlier this year - man, what a freakin noise MACHINE.

But the thing that drove me (and most other people) nuts was the 4 note polyphony. One more voice and I wouldn't even be creating this post.

The Prophet 12 seems to share a lot of similiar capabilities with the PE. And it has 12 note polyphony....

Other than a sequencer, does the Poly Evolver have something over the P12 that I'm not thinking about?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Poly Evolver vs Prophet 12

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm

You could've polychained another EVO desktop and had 5 voices!
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah, but between the volume differences and extra lines, that just seems silly...but essentially you're right!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:20 pm

forgot about this one....any other thoughts?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

well, the PE does have real analog oscillators...bbut the P12 is using a *lot* of DSP power for tis oscs (2 voices per DSP... when most other synths using the same DSPs are sdoing all their oscillators on a single DSP, and usually their filters too)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah, from demos I'm hearing, I don't think the DSP vs analog oscillators is going to be a big deal. Besides a board like this is for out there, not-necessarily-found-in-analog land sounds.

The only bummer about the P12 is that price point....I have a hard enough time justifying $2k on a synth purchase. $3k is just...ugh. A used on is on here for $2200 though....
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 pm

I've been seeing them for sale "new" repeatedly at around $2300 on ebay. If I had the need/more desire, I would have no problem with it at that price. I also feel like this is probably going to sound better than the PEK for even basic analog sounds--the major crutch on all prior DSI stuff was the totally blah filter. It's the same on the P12, but supposedly "improved". The DCOs on other DSI stuff were never anything special anyway (i mean... they're DCOs).
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I've been seeing them for sale "new" repeatedly at around $2300 on ebay. If I had the need/more desire, I would have no problem with it at that price. I also feel like this is probably going to sound better than the PEK for even basic analog sounds--the major crutch on all prior DSI stuff was the totally blah filter. It's the same on the P12, but supposedly "improved". The DCOs on other DSI stuff were never anything special anyway (i mean... they're DCOs).

I know. I've had the P08 3 times, the Tempest twice, and a Mopho. I sold every single one because I just couldn't get into the sound.

But this P12 board totally surrendering its main synthesis engine to the digital side is intriguing to say the least.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Synth Shootouts