Prophet 12 or Solaris?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Prophet 12 or Solaris?

Postby Mac Moog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 am

Can anyone comment on their opinions and why they feel that way, of the strengths and weaknesses of the Prophet 12 and Solaris please?
Mac Moog

Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Advertisement:

Re: Prophet 12 or Solaris?

Postby philip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 pm

+1
philip

Postby Z » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm

My Solaris arrived 2 days ago. I've spent 2-3 hours on it so far and here's what I've got to say about it.

I haven't figured out where to put it in my rig, so I have it set up in the center of my rig (no real access to any other synth). As I was playing the Solaris, I kept looking over at my OB-X thinking "you might be going up for sale soon."

If you can shell out $4500 (price just went up) for the Solaris and can wait a year or so, it will be worth the wait. The Solaris will easily replace 2-3 expensive classic synthesizers: Prophet VS for sure, P5 and/or OB-Xa maybe and PPG 2.x perhaps.

Start with the oscillators: first you select from what type of oscillator you want to use: MM (sine, tri, saw, ramp, square, modsaw, modsquare and jaws [super saw], CEM (tri, saw, pulse, and combinations of these), VS (all 96 Prophet VS waves, WT (64 Waldorf/PPG wavetables) and WAV (user samples). Up to 4 of these can be used. The oscillators can be fed into vector or rotor (kinda like vector). Then you've got filters: MM (4 LPs, 4 HPs, 2BPs, 2 BRs, comb), SSM (LP & HP), Obie (LP, HP, BP & BR), Mini and Vocal (formant). Up to 4 can be used (in serial and parallel, I think, I'm still learning the synth). 5 LFOs, 6 EGs, basic effects (phaser, chorus/flange, Delay, EQ), arpeggiator, step sequencer, joystick (for vectors or whatever you want to assign it to) and ribbon controller. All of this is really just scratching the surface. I haven't done any serious programming - just tweaking presets and making basic single osc patches.

The Solaris sounds incredible. I filmed a demo video yesterday feeding the headphone out straight into my T3i. I tried to keep checking the levels to make sure I wasn't clipping - we'll find out soon when I edit the video. Hopefully, my video's sound will be decent and not get to jacked up by YouTube's compression. There are many SoundCloud demos by users on the Solaris FaceBook page that you can check out, too.

From what I've seen and heard of the P12, it's an impressive synth. I'm sure if I hadn't already paid for my Solaris 2 years ago, I'd have serious GAS for the P12. The P12s are already available to purchase and start using.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby urgetoplay » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:55 am

I've had my Solaris for about 2 years now; amazing synth. Z summed up a lot of the options nicely. The hard part about the comparison is finding someone who has both or at least spent some significant time with both
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby nvining » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 am

I had both on pre-order, then when I decided to scale back on new acquisitions due to moving I cancelled the Prophet 12 and kept my Solaris on pre-order. Make of that data point what you will, but it's another data point nonetheless.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre
nvining

Gear: CS80, Oberheim Matrix-12, Chroma/Expander/Polaris, John Bowen Solaris, AlphaSyntauri, Minimoog, Rhodes Mk I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200B, Elka X902

Postby n3wt15 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 am

prince went up, and they no longer give a discount if you pay in full...that sucks :-/
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Return to Synth Shootouts