sub phatty vs. bass station II

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

sub phatty vs. bass station II

Postby _dan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 pm

probably a little early, and they aren't exactly vintage, but why not?
any thoughts on the subject?
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Advertisement:

Re: sub phatty vs. bass station II

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 am

They sound quite different, get the one you like the sound of more.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby _dan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

They do. from what I can glean off of youtube, the Novation bass station is more my speed, hard to be certain without hands on, but if/when I do pick one up it will be the novation.

I started the topic because i figured this shoot out would be inevitable... the two synths arrived at similar times and have a somewhat similar feature set. So yeah I'm just interested in what people think. From the lack of responses I'm guessing its just too soon (or its just not an interesting topic :)
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
========================
_dan

Postby Kenneth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:21 pm

May not be an issue for some, but build quality is a big issue for me. In this respect, the Sub is far superior to the Novation. Sub Phatty is built like a tank out of metal and rubber, while the Novation is all plastic.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Sub Phatty if you want:

Moog filter (main reason)
CV inputs
Precise control over VCO phase and detuning (unusual for analog)
VST plugin

Bass Station II if you want:

multimode filter, 303 filter
step sequencer
save money ;)

P.S. seeing used Sub Phattys for $800 already
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby _dan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Kenneth: Yeah, I've had the k-station and xio, both with broken/missing knobs, but never resulting in a loss of function. I'm pretty careful with my keys too. Still, I've always been very happy with the sound/features/price (stacked fx on k station and xio :) )so no regrets there. Are the BS2 knobs the kind that pull off?

I'm really happy with the direction that the vendors have been moving in regarding size. One could very easily set two or three of these new mono synths side by side and have a huge/tweakable sonic pallet within ergonomic reach. Plus being able to just zone out with one and not be nailed to the 'studio'.And obviously if a larger/ better set of keys is required just set a controller underneath.

Are you planning on getting the sub phatty as well, or maybe a different mono? .. Maybe I should have titled the thread mono y mono y mono et all :) there really are so many options out right now, each with merit.

..meatballfulton:.that seems like a fair summary, im thinking about checking the manuals for modulation differences, but it may be hair splitting... sub phatty for eight hundred, on sale or eBay/Craig's list?
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
========================
_dan

Postby Kenneth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:30 pm

_dan wrote:Kenneth: Yeah, I've had the k-station and xio, both with broken/missing knobs, but never resulting in a loss of function. I'm pretty careful with my keys too. Still, I've always been very happy with the sound/features/price (stacked fx on k station and xio :) )so no regrets there. Are the BS2 knobs the kind that pull off?

I'm really happy with the direction that the vendors have been moving in regarding size. One could very easily set two or three of these new mono synths side by side and have a huge/tweakable sonic pallet within ergonomic reach. Plus being able to just zone out with one and not be nailed to the 'studio'.And obviously if a larger/ better set of keys is required just set a controller underneath.

Are you planning on getting the sub phatty as well, or maybe a different mono? .. Maybe I should have titled the thread mono y mono y mono et all :) there really are so many options out right now, each with merit.

..meatballfulton:.that seems like a fair summary, im thinking about checking the manuals for modulation differences, but it may be hair splitting... sub phatty for eight hundred, on sale or eBay/Craig's list?

Neither the Sub Phatty or the Bass Station 2 have particularly captured my interest. I own a Voyager, so I feel like buying a Sub would be redundant and pointless. I have spent a good deal of time with the Bass Station 2 as well, and I don't like it. The panel layout is confusing and unintuitive, and the sound is bland to my ears. The one new mono that really has my attention is the MS-20 mini. I have also spent a lot of time playing with one of these, and I have only this to say: I will have one. When, I don't know. I'm not wealthy, so I can't just buy things like that as I wish, but I know that at some point I will own an MS-20 mini. The sound of it is completely unique, and there is no other synthesizer (apart from the original of course) that can come close. The fact that the high-pass filter and low-pass filter can be deployed simultaneously makes way for some truly mind-blowingly awesome sound. It must be experienced to be believed.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby Alphacode » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Kenneth wrote:May not be an issue for some, but build quality is a big issue for me. In this respect, the Sub is far superior to the Novation. Sub Phatty is built like a tank out of metal and rubber, while the Novation is all plastic.

You are absolutely wrong , novation is built from Hard plastic and all it's knobs are mounted to the chassis and have a good bit of resistance in them so no woobly knobs here , the sub fatty knobs (especially selectors ) felt very cheap for me. Also novation is half the price with probably twice as much features :) !
My Gear : SYNTHS : Access Virus TI2 Polar, Novation Bass Station 2, Novation K-Station, Arturia SparkLe VST.
OTHER EQUIPEMENT : Fostex Pm1 MkII Monitors, Focusrite 18i8, Rhode NT-2

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alphacode909
Alphacode

Postby DemianMusic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Alphacode wrote:
Kenneth wrote:May not be an issue for some, but build quality is a big issue for me. In this respect, the Sub is far superior to the Novation. Sub Phatty is built like a tank out of metal and rubber, while the Novation is all plastic.

You are absolutely wrong , novation is built from Hard plastic and all it's knobs are mounted to the chassis and have a good bit of resistance in them so no woobly knobs here , the sub fatty knobs (especially selectors ) felt very cheap for me. Also novation is half the price with probably twice as much features :) !

As an owner of a Sub Phatty, I'm really not sure what you mean by the knobs feeling cheap. Out of anything in my studio they're the highest quality knobs by a long shot.

Most of the reviews also mention the impressive quality of the knobs, sturdy mount, smooth action....

Maybe you played one that had been abused?
Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator
DemianMusic

Gear: Moog Sub Phatty : Korg SV-1 : DSI Mopho : Camel Audio Alchemy : NI Razor : Operator
Band: DEMIAN

Postby JamesAC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 pm

I feel I'm always the one sitting reading other people's advice but after almost 6 months of YouTube demos and forums I finally got in a shop with these two, I was also pitting them against the Mini/MicroBrute an MS-20 and a few others.
I must add this will be by first real analogue synth and I'd said £500 to my self, I spent a whole day with one unlucky but exceptionally knowledgeable bloke who guided me through everything.
The bass station had some great functions and the keys felt great, I just couldn't help feel something was missing. Same with the Brutes, who's sound I actually prefer. But when I touched the Phatty it was over, I'm a one knob per function kinda guy, so it was right up my street. The sound was incomparable, it blew everything out the water, just so rich and creamy, I couldn't get a bad sound out of it (unlike with the others). It was a few hundred quid more but well worth it, one of those things you'd live to regret if you buy BSII. I'm not hating on the BSII, I love the ultra nova and it's sequencer but this was unfriendly and needed a good deal of tweaking to come anywhere near the Brutes. As for the MS-20, that was also a massive letdown, just average sounds and a confusing patch panel. The only thing I looked at for a moment was the OP-1, which I hope I can persuade a bandmate to get!
When push comes to shove and sound is the only thing that matters, the Phatty is, without question the top dog, I loved the Minitaur too but the Phatty does more and has a key board which feels better than the Nord with which I was playing the Minitaur. The layout with give you infinite pleasure, it just begs to be played with and that filter, have mercy!
JamesAC

Postby Psy_Free » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:31 pm

JamesAC wrote:As for the MS-20, that was also a massive letdown, just average sounds and a confusing patch panel.

Yeah right. :roll: Learn to program it first or preface your statement with IMO.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby JamesAC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Psy_Free wrote:Learn to program it first or preface your statement with IMO.

I totally agree, I would never comment without having heard someone who knew what he was doing play it too. Hence if you'd read my post you would have seen I wrote that I tested them all with probably the most knowledgeable man I've ever met.
He totally agreed and he explained the patch panel, demonstrated it and got some good sounds. It's just they were nothing special and in comparison to the Sub Phatty there was no question ... Have you played them side by side?
JamesAC

Postby Psy_Free » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:54 pm

JamesAC wrote:
Psy_Free wrote:Learn to program it first or preface your statement with IMO.

I totally agree, I would never comment without having heard someone who knew what he was doing play it too. Hence if you'd read my post you would have seen I wrote that I tested them all with probably the most knowledgeable man I've ever met.
He totally agreed and he explained the patch panel, demonstrated it and got some good sounds. It's just they were nothing special and in comparison to the Sub Phatty there was no question ... Have you played them side by side?

I've owned an MS-20 for 20 years & have had a few hours on a Sub-Phatty. They are very different synths & comparing them is pretty pointless as they have very different sonic & timbral capabilities. To merely dismiss the MS-20 as 'nothing special' is pretty arrogant given the high regard it has been viewed with by many many synthesists over a period of 35 odd years.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby clubbedtodeath » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Seconded. You can get dull sounds out of the MS-20, but delve deeper, use the patchbay, and it'll do complex, subtle sounds. It's a little short-sighted to dismiss it after 5 minutes in a shop.

(Apologies to _Dan, I'll duck out of this thread now)
clubbedtodeath

Postby JamesAC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Psy_Free wrote:MS-20...35 odd years.

I just wanted to clarify, I'm talking MS-20 Mini, the new one, I'm sure the original is a fair sight better, though I've never played one. Actually price wise I should have compared an original MS-20 to a Sub, but I didn't, though I'd certainly be curious to track one down later. This is so off topic!
SP - Sound, feel and build
BS - Features (arp, memory, after touch) and price
JamesAC

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts