Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12

Postby chiro973 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:07 am

Different creatures in many respects, I understand. I am in a band that essentially covers classic rock and some newer stuff 70s to present. Night Ranger, Styx, Journey, Loverboy, Faith no More, Robert Palmer, Bon Jovi (you get the idea). So...I understand some of the differences between these two boards, but my needs are live cover stuff, intuitive programming/tweaking and great sounds for the genres I am involved with. Understand either would do, but...probably one is better than the other for what I need. Currently using a Yamaha MOX-6, Access Virus TI2 and a Korg Kaosillator Pro. The VIrus is pretty cool, well-built but seems its default sounds are in the NIN, Industrial, Techno, Trance, Hip Hop. et al and that you can get classic VA stuff but it takes a lot of work and is not its strength.
SO...what say you all?
chiro973

Advertisement:

Re: Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

Prophet 08...

Or an Alesis Ion.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:15 pm

The MOX is more than capable of "classic rock" synth sounds. There are a number of third party voice libraries in addition to what's in the factory sounds.

Some links

Vintage Keys

Phat Analog

Phat Analog II

Stage and Studio
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Bitexion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

The MOX should cover your bases pretty well. Some of the third party libraries don't even use new samples, they just created sounds from the onboard samples in really creative ways.

I don't see my Motif XF as a "rompler", but as a subtractive synth with thousands of oscillator waveforms instead of just 3-4. It's voice structure is very similar to any subtractive synth. Can combine up to 8 elements (voices), each with its own waveform, filters and envelopes or a global filter and envelopes. And add in LFO modulations and effects and whatnot.

Just saying maybe you don't need to splurge $2000 on a new synth if you can use your existing equipment better :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby cornutt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:57 pm

It's my understanding that the P12 incorporates at least some of the Evolver functionality, but I haven't dug into it yet to figure out how much. Since all versions of the Poly Evolver are now discontinued, it would be nice if the P12 covered that territory.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby Bitexion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 am

Well, I'm sure Dave could have just remade the P5 with more voices and it'd still sell like warm cookies. But he didn't.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby philip » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 am

NONE!!!

Prophet 5!!!
philip

Postby shaft9000 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:53 am

just brush up on your synth patch know-how.
going analog like the P08 will necessitate adding FX and such. it also doesn't sound very big except in unison mode. i have a ton of analogs, and frankly, the alesis Ion will serve you better for this task. Your MOX and Virus are plenty capable you just need to iron out their idiosyncrasies.
Presets are convenient - when you 'luck out' or narrow your requirements - but there's truly no substitute for the benefit gained from spending hours programming. Sound-On-Sound has a great series for novice-intermediates called Synth Secrets i think. Good luck!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby chiro973 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:39 am

I appreciate all the responses so far, thanks. As to why I don't use the MOX 6 "better", etc is that it is my main axe and I use it even multi timbral fashion for piano, organ, guitar, so when I need the classic synth stuff I need another keyboard, but not to crazy about the Virus.

As to programming I started out in 1976 with a Mini Moog Model D which I still have, had an Oberheim FVS-4 voice that I sold a couple of years ago, so I do understand the analog side pretty well, had a bunch of keys since then - Roland JV8P, Fantom-S and G, Studiologic Sledge, still have a Yamaha AN1X, had a Nord, and I still have a Novation Supernova 2 48 voice.

But from intuitive programming most of these suck (except the Sledge which is like a mini moog panel) and sound wise they were either okay or so-so to my ears. I love the MOX-6, I guess I could buy a second one, but that seems a bit odd and a different brand gives you more sonic possibilities.
chiro973

Return to Synth Shootouts