JX-3P VS Polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

JX-3P VS Polysix

Postby pinksoir » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm thinking about buying one of these two synths. If I were to buy a JX-3P I'd more than likely get the KIWI-3P mod done (and the PG-200). If I were to buy a Polysix I'd get the CHD midi kit for it.

To my ears, judging by the demos on youtube, both are great sounding synths but very different and covering totally different sounds.

The Polysix:

Is quite dark sounding but has a great filter and VCOs.
Only 1 EG
Ensemble/Phase/Chorus
Seperate LFO for PWM

The 3P:

Has a classic Roland tone and 2 DCOs per voice.
Has osc sync.
Only 1 EG
Chorus
No PWM so to speak.

I like them both a lot but could only afford one right now.

How do you rate them?
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Advertisement:

Re: JX-3P VS Polysix

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with the JXes, but I have to admit I've been hella impressed by the Polysix demos I've heard (damn you, whoever beat me to that free one in the Bay area!) Either would be a great choice.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby pinksoir » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 pm

From the demos I've watched online I've heard more interesting sounds and possibilities from the 3P. Like, I'd have a video playing in the background while I do other stuff and every now and again some really cool patch will come up and I'll be really impressed. But the Polysix sounds really great, period. So the conclusion I've come to is that the 3P would be a very versatile and useful synth, but the Polysix would just sound great, no matter what it's doing!
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby synthroom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I have a JX-3P, but not the Poly SIx, so I can't speak to the Korg.

The 3P has two oscillators, and the envelope generator can be inverted giving it a whole extra range of sounds that a lot of synths don't have. It can make some really interesting, grungy, and odd sounds.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby moremagic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 am

if its workin get the polysix
if it aint get em polyfixed
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby pflosi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 am

Both very cool synths. What I really like about the JX3P is its nice poly sequencer. On the P6, love the chord memory.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby pinksoir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:24 pm

I bought a JX-3P. It excites me a bit more than the Polysix, though I still have a soft spot for that synth. But listening to demos, I'm already getting lots of ideas for sounds. I've been using the TAL UNO-LX vsti quite a lot in my stuff lately and find it to be a good workhorse for filling up certain areas sonically.

With that in mind I was considering a Juno 60 or 106, but doing a bit of research on the 3P piqued my interest a lot. The extra DCO is a huge benefit, and the X-mod sounds gorgeous to me. It sounds like it can cover the Juno type sounds pretty well, though it doesn't sound quite as nice as the 60. But unless I had them side by side I doubt I'd hear the difference. The bonus is that it can go places the Junos can't. Slight bummer is the lack of PWM, but it can do pseudo PWM with the cross mod, so all is not lost. Plus the PWM on my CS50 is just amazing, so I'm not too fussed.

I don't think I'd really use the poly sequencer much if at all, but with the KIWI upgrade it has a bunch of possibilities opened up. Chord memory, Unison, portamento, extra LFO, full MIDI implementation...
pinksoir

Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby pinksoir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:20 pm

This is a sweet little demo that shows off quite a lot of the variety of sound available from the 3P. That sync sound that comes in half way through (1.58) is one of the nicest I've ever heard. I was never much of a fan of sync until I heard that! Just gorgeous.

Watch on youtube.com
pinksoir

Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby Pro5 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 am

JX-3P is one of my favourite synths. I also have 2 Polysix, and yes different areas completely!! Polysix sounds gorgeous though, while 3P is very unique sounding and great for a variety of tasks - I use it all the time in my music.

Either are great buys for different reasons but to start with, a 3P is a great choice and more advanced.

I have had all the junos, the 60 is great, the alphas are sweet but NONE of them have brought me the great dual osc sound of the JX-3P (had the 8P too which is pretty poor by comparison to the older 3P), the Junos were always first to go before I ever considered letting the 3P go - you have a much more up-market synth in the 3P but hidden in sheeps clothing (and yes it has some flaws like LFO speed, no PWM, software envs) none of that matters to me and my music, the overall sound when you know how to program one is beautiful. You bought well.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:50 am

pinksoir wrote:This is a sweet little demo that shows off quite a lot of the variety of sound available from the 3P. That sync sound that comes in half way through (1.58) is one of the nicest I've ever heard. I was never much of a fan of sync until I heard that! Just gorgeous.

Oh wow. That almost makes me wish I had a 3P instead of my JX-10...think you made the right choice, man.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby pinksoir » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah, I feel pretty confident about it! There is a JX-10 for sale locally actually, but no PG-800 and the dude is looking for €750 for it. They seem like very different machines though, despite being in the same 'series'. Each have their pros and cons. Some nice pad sounds from the 8P/10, but for me I reckon I'd get a lot more mileage out of the 3P.
pinksoir

Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby Dr. Phibes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:36 pm

I got both too and I think you made the right decision going with the JX-3p. The polysix is great but limited and I don't think it would add much to what you already have. The 3p isn't a Juno and it probably won't do what people love in Junos as well but I offer a much broader sound pallet.

I can vouch for the KIWI mod as well, pain in the arse to install (mostly because of the fiddly desoldering of the PSU) but it really expands your synthesis options.
Dr. Phibes

Postby Pro5 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 am

No Juno, and esp no JX-8P or JX10 sounds like this!

Some of the Juno vibe/filter but with Dual Oscs and unique sounds. 8P/10 are completely different. The tone around 50 seconds is really nice. And for a synth with software envs it doesn't do too badly.

Watch on youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLMK86HE8U

No Juno, no JX-8P or JX10 sounds like this!
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby pinksoir » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 pm

@Dr. Phibes

Good to know the KIWI mod is worth it. I bought the 3P from Modeless Factory and he said he'd install KIWI for no labour charge as he's overhauling the synth anyway. It is ~€200 extra though. I was considering waiting til I get the synth and seeing how it is without the KIWI mod first though. Which would you recommend?

@Pro5

Some very un-Juno like tones in there. It does sound (from videos I've watched) that it can get pretty close to bread and butter Juno sounds.

Watch on youtube.com

This dudes comparison is pretty good. It's cool because roughly half the sounds sound clearly better on the Juno and half on the 3P. That being said, the 3P can achieve stuff that the Juno never could, which I like a lot.
pinksoir

Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 am

I used to have both. Sold the Polysix, bought a second JX3P.

It´s a lot more flexible, has a very nice little on-board sequencer, two oscillators per voice, and a lot more going for it in terms of scope.

The P6 always sounded like a deluxe string synth to me. As nice as the SSM filters are, I grew tired of it very quickly.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts