Farfisa VIP 600 vs Farfisa Compact Duo

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Farfisa VIP 600 vs Farfisa Compact Duo

Postby Imraotnh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 am

Hey guys. Happy New Year! Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue.

I have a chance to buy Farfisa VIP 600 for less than 150 $. As far as I was told (as there aren't any decent demos on Youtube with actual playing), the VIPs are closer to Hammond but what I am striving for is early Pink Floyd sound (think A Saucerful of Secrets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9egi4-GjBBc ) and Rick Wright used Farfisa Compact Duo back then. Is the VIP worth it though? I play in psych rock band if it matters. Thanks in advance for your answers!
Imraotnh

Advertisement:

Re: Farfisa VIP 600 vs Farfisa Compact Duo

Postby nvining » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:34 pm

For $150, it's a steal. But the place you should really be reading about such things is http://www.combo-organ.com
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre
nvining

Gear: CS80, Oberheim Matrix-12, Chroma/Expander/Polaris, John Bowen Solaris, AlphaSyntauri, Minimoog, Rhodes Mk I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200B, Elka X902

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:44 pm

If you have a chance to get any Farfisa for less than $150, jump on that mother. There was a lesser model at my local store for $300, and I'm still cheesed off that I didn't have the cash to grab it in the couple days before someone else snagged it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:50 am

At 150 US$ you can´t do wrong... if the unit is in working shape, that is.

I used to have a Compact Duo, and it was a nightmare to maintain after 35 or so years. Worst bit were the keyboard contacts of the upper manual which tend to corrode rather quickly, and it´s nearly impossible to dismantle the keyboard assembly to clean each single one of them. Also, some of the transistors on the voice boards seem to be prone to failure, and tuning the voices can be a bit of a headache as well because the coil trimmers may just crumble apart. When buying a Compact Duo, make sure the external FA/R preamp/spring reverb is included as these seem to have gone walkabout more often than once (I´m not sure whether the organ is playable without one). I sold the Compact Duo (as well as my red Compact with valve preamp) after I had them both fixed.

The VIP-600 is equally great, and if it was good enough for Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream) or Cluster, it should be good enough for you as well :). The sound is a bit more modern and a bit more advanced but there is plenty of outboard stuff to make it sound dated.

The Professional Duo would be the be-all and end-all of Farfisas, I reckon.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby monolith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 am

I've got a compact, it nails the saucerful/floyd sound but if the VIP is fully functional, $150 is a steal!
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Synth Shootouts