Polivox vs DS-2

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Polivox vs DS-2

Postby walkathon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:10 pm

I own a Polivox (and honestly need to give it a lil' more love), but am always hypnotized by DS-2's whenever they pop up (granted most 'of 'em usually appear to need work).

Any opinion on these two head to head? Admittedly have never had any time w/ a DS-2 myself ...
walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Advertisement:

Re: Polivox vs DS-2

Postby tomorrowstops » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:05 am

Other than drooling over them now and then, I haven't had the pleasure either. But they definitely look like fine pieces of machinery. Check out Whitest Boy Alive - Rules. They're a live band: drums, guitar, bass, and keys. The keyboard player just plays a Rhodes and a Ds-2.

fuNkiest shit - EVER.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby philip » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm

what is ds2?
philip

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Crumar Ds-2
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby philip » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I liked DS2 youtube demos
philip

Postby analoglsd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:13 am

My experience with the DS-2 was positive, but at the end of the day, it seemed like a Moog MG-1 on steroids, but what it had in additional features were totally outweighed by the fact that it is huge and very heavy(in size and weight).

A few years ago I went and checked out a Polivox that a guy was selling locally. He knew the synth intimately, and gave me a rather impressive demo. He let me play with it as well, but my lack of experience combined with the language barrier left me just guessing at what I was doing. Regardless, it struck me as one of the more unique mono synths I had ever heard. Unfortunately, due to tight funds, and the fact that it didn't have the top lid, I didn't pull the trigger on it, a decision I still regret.

Anyway, on to the point...the DS-2 is a great and versatile synth, but you're not going to coax any exotic or especially interesting or original sounds out of it. It's got the bread and butter down, and does it well. The Polivox, on the other hand, just by the nature of it's completely over the top filter, is going to give you some crazy effects. The LFO on the Polivox I played would get near audio rates, and sounded so sick modulating the filter. On paper, the DS-2 has more going on, but to my ears the Polivox is more of a force to be reckoned with. In the end, it's kind of apple and oranges. Like comparing the MG-1 to the Micromoog. They just sound so different, and occupy different roles in the production of music. They do have a sort of similar visual aesthetic though.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Return to Synth Shootouts