SH-101 -VS- Microbrute

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: SH-101 -VS- Microbrute

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:Remember when the tempest was supposed to wield a mighty blow against the 808? :lol:

No. I never saw it compared to the 808, most of the talk was that it would be an 'MPC-killer'. Guess that was pretty far off the mark though.
Yup, I remember that too! I was hoping to be able to get an mpc a bit cheaper after it came out, until I realized that the market for such things doesn't work that way.

man-009 wrote: A lot of cocky people here of late..lol. I will keep away.

You started a loaded topic, mainly because:
shaft9000 wrote:this is effectively a rehash of minibrute threads.
People are very passionate about roland, for and against. The "new gear from roland" thread is already locked, and they haven't come out yet. Some have been grinding axes for quite some time, and there is typically a lot of uncalled for gear trashing when certain instruments come up for discussion.

That aside, for me the sh101 would be one of the last things to go on my gearlist. I can get exactly the sound I'm looking for from it immediately. And I'm such a big fan of old platipus records, harthouse, mfs, TIP, blue room & dragonfly, that it was pretty much a no brainer.

When I sit down in front of the 101, I'm inspired - I want to make its music - I can explore more deeply the music of my favorite artists. The musical historicity helps me better imagine the context of the sounds around the patch I'm working on, the way the smell of the ocean brings to mind a favorite beach house at the beginning of a vacation. It doesn't just get the job done: just working with it lends creative inertia that keeps the ball rolling. And I know many people feel the same way about the minimoog, the mpc-60, and a number of other instruments both vintage and modern.

There's a lot of talk on the forum about functionality, but functionality only matters in a context of creation or live use, so to sacrifice context for functionality is absurd. On a grander scale you can't even really tease the two apart. Using an sh101 doesn't matter. Knowing why you're using what your using matters, even if the answer to that why is exploration. You're crazy if you think I'm not going to enjoy the fruits of the brutes, but your crazy if you think I'm going to sell my 101 to do it! :D
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 am

I guess the other massive difference between the microbrute and the 101 is the cost. For what your average 101 is going for on ebay you could get four microbrutes. Add a Midipal or something from expert sleepers (or even just set them up right in software) and you've got a four-voice analogue synth, like this:

Watch on youtube.com
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Kenneth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
man-009 wrote:A lot of cocky people here of late..

Probably the result of a lot of pointless questions being posted.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:clap:

Also, on a side note: The video Stab posted makes me long for a polyphonic Brute.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. JP-8000. Microbrute. Monotribe. Machinedrum
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby edfunction » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 am

to the OP:

I bought the micro-brute so that I wouldn't have to take my 101 out for live shows while retaining most of the functionality (mostly the sequencer). I think there is a nod to the 101 in terms of features and I think that was intentional on Arturia's part.
They do sound wildly different though. Micro has a wider range than the 101 to my ears and has some interesting tone-shaping features but it also takes a little more effort to dial in the classic simple bass and bleep sounds that 101 does so easily.
The micro's sequencer needs a couple of updates to be a complete replacement for me (apparently an update could fix this). If you don't care about the sequencer I'd suggest the bassstation2 it sounds much more similar to the 101 but with its own quirks...
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts