Moog Minitaur vs Dave Smith DSI Mopho

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Moog Minitaur vs Dave Smith DSI Mopho

Postby lockah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi all,

First new thread. I'm an electronic producer and have recently quit my office job to pursue music full time.

As a result, right now I've been considering doing a little buying/selling and streamlining my setup.

Aside from VSTs, my only straight up synth is the DSI Mopho. I like the grit of it, find it fairly versatile, but seem to find myself mostly just mucking about with the presets as the interface is pretty dull for experimenting with. I am not an experienced synth programmer but quite happy to dial in sounds on most gear. With the Mopho for some reason I just find myself skipping this process unless to modify an existing preset. I have the free version of the Mopho editor and found it pretty clunky, although the step sequencing part is a great function.

Having owned a Realistic Concertmate MG-1 many years ago I do find myself yearning for the responsiveness of physical controls and there is something incredibly desirable about the Moog badge, of course. I had also overestimated the used cost of these units. However, even more interesting is the firmware update (Revolution 2) which very few online/user type reviews seem to mention, having sort of written off the initial lack of functionality. The free editor is apparently pretty decent too. The depth of the Moog tone seems to be a little more highly regarded.

So what do people think about me 'upgrading' from the Mopho with the help of a little extra cash?

Given the price of a used Minitaur vs Mopho (a hundred dollars more?) what do people think about this swap? Would it be an
lockah

Advertisement:

Re: Moog Minitaur vs Dave Smith DSI Mopho

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Minitaur is limited to bass duties, it has a high note limit preventing using it much for leads.

If you like the Mopho, consider trading up into a desktop Evolver.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby lockah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Minitaur is limited to bass duties, it has a high note limit preventing using it much for leads.

If you like the Mopho, consider trading up into a desktop Evolver.

Hey, good point but it will still reach C5 which is a reasonable upper limit for leads, right?

Also the Evolver is probably even less 'hands on' than the Mopho which at least has 4 assignable knobs to work with real-time physical control. I will have a look at the prices/availability though. Thanks
lockah

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 pm

lockah wrote:it will still reach C5 which is a reasonable upper limit for leads

That's only one octave above middle C. Your mileage may vary.

lockah wrote:Evolver is probably even less 'hands on' than the Mopho which at least has 4 assignable knobs

????

Evolver has 8 knobs which control everything in the synth...no menus, etc. It's far more hands on than Mopho.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby lockah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:That's only one octave above middle C. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, fair point. I guess I should try and get my hands on one and see how I feel about that.

meatballfulton wrote:????

Evolver has 8 knobs which control everything in the synth...no menus, etc. It's far more hands on than Mopho.

Alright, just commenting on how it looks as I've never used one. Would you say it was totally usable for tweaking sounds in a live environment? And how would you say it fares up against the Minitaur for bass tone? Thanks
lockah

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Evolver is super easy for live tweaks because it has encoders. They are always at the current value, even after changing presets. Just like the assignables on your Mopho. Buttons switch what 8 parameters are active at any one time. The desktop encoders do not have the "jumping" issues found on the Evolver keyboards.

Bass? Well, an Evolver is not a Moog! I used to have a Slim Phatty and now have a Voyager. A Moog is just, um, Moog...you want that bass sound you need a Moog. The DSI sound is just different. The Evolver sounds pretty much like the Mopho does...it lacks subs but you can use the two digital oscs for that (and much more). Same filter, but in stereo 8-)

The Minitaur is just very limited compared to the other Moogs...not just note range. A great choice if you want it just for bass duties.
meatballfulton

Postby corndogssg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 am

I used to own the desktop mopho, I sold it after buying the tetra, witch although having 4 mopho voices in it still has the same style of interface. I used to hate the interface until I bought the sound tower programs, (not the free ones) and now I used my sound tower programs when ever I'm making up a patch on my tetra or desktop evolver and I use a midi keyboard to control them both. both are great desktop synths, and with the sound tower programs it really makes them more hands on (all though using a mouse to turn a encoder is way lame compared to using your fingers) but the programs deff make the synths easier to use and create your own patches with big time. the evolver desktop to me is better than the mopho and is laid out fairly well but again the sound tower program makes it so much more fun to make and edit sounds with. I use a 5 octave midi keyboard and set the evolver to the bottom 2 octaves and the tetra to the top 3 octaves and it's supper bad ass and fun to play with.

I have never used a moog minitaur before but it does seem like the most stripped down moog instrument they make, but that being said it's still a moog and moogs are the shit. I have a little phatty stage 2 and would love a voyager but am content with the LP for now. i do not however have the little phatty sound tower program, because it's a waste of money, as you can edit and make your own patches just fine on the little phatty by itself.

just go sell your car and buy a prophet 08 or 12 and a moog voyager and be one of the happiest dudes ridding the bus :thumbsup:
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Return to Synth Shootouts