Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

Postby TaylorBart » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I have a line on a really reasonably priced Jupiter 6. I am pretty unhappy with my Proph 08.
It's lackluster in my humble opinion. I love the way it's laid out but I just don't think it really delivers.
I have played a Jupiter 8 for a few moments in a shop and liked it, but never a 6.
I love all the Demos I have watched on youtube.
Any opinions? Should I sell the Proph 08 and get the JP6 or should I sell the Proph 08 and get a more inexpensive Poly and some effects.

thanks
TaylorBart

Gear: Moog Voyager
Swarmatron
DSI Proph 08
Metasonix TM-1
Band: Moth Mountain

Advertisement:

Re: Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Well if the Jupiter 6 is a good price I say go for it, if you don't like it you could probably make money off it to go towards plan B.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Yeah, anything classic Roland you should at least get your money back on if you don't like it - and from what I've heard of the JP-6, it's a very nice synth.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby TaylorBart » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:Well if the Jupiter 6 is a good price I say go for it, if you don't like it you could probably make money off it to go towards plan B.

commodorejohn wrote:Yeah, anything classic Roland you should at least get your money back on if you don't like it - and from what I've heard of the JP-6, it's a very nice synth.

Thanks!
TaylorBart

Swarmatron
DSI Proph 08
Metasonix TM-1

Postby georgemarauder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 am

Why do you consider the Prophet lackluster? It seems like a very capable synth to me. Have you really dug into it's editing capacity and learned how to get the most out of it?

I just don't see going from that to a Jupiter 6 as being an upgrade. The Jupiter is sexy because it's retro, but you have more capabilities with the Prophet, IMO.
georgemarauder

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 am

georgemarauder wrote:Why do you consider the Prophet lackluster? It seems like a very capable synth to me. Have you really dug into it's editing capacity and learned how to get the most out of it?

I just don't see going from that to a Jupiter 6 as being an upgrade. The Jupiter is sexy because it's retro, but you have more capabilities with the Prophet, IMO.

I have no familiarity with the Prophet, but remember that capabilities != sound. I've used a number of synths that had perfectly decent tech specs but didn't do anything for me sound-wise - I assume the OP feels similarly about the Prophet.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 am

The Prophet '08 is certainly 'more capable,' but the JP6 sounds more unique. At least to these ears!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby TaylorBart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 am

commodorejohn wrote:
georgemarauder wrote:Why do you consider the Prophet lackluster? It seems like a very capable synth to me. Have you really dug into it's editing capacity and learned how to get the most out of it?

I have no familiarity with the Prophet, but remember that capabilities != sound. I've used a number of synths that had perfectly decent tech specs but didn't do anything for me sound-wise - I assume the OP feels similarly about the Prophet.

Exactly. It has plenty of specs. I have dug deeply into it the past few years I have had it. It's not a user error thing.
It just doesn't own it's place in a mix.

Here is the best way to explain it. You go to guitar center and you buy a decent american made telecaster. sure it sounds great but you get a great vintage tele and it is just a light saber in a mix.
I found that my band mates juno 60 although an incredibly boring synth specs wise, just sounds like a record. and it sits in a mix very gracefully. Just the raw oscillators are uninspiring compared to many synths I have owned.
TaylorBart

Swarmatron
DSI Proph 08
Metasonix TM-1

Postby zoomtheline » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:30 am

My theory is that if you initialise a patch or just set it to just raw oscillator and you like the sound and you can happily play the synth at that point then it's a synth for you, soundwise. If that stage on a synth sounds poor to you and you have to dive real deep to find a good sound then it's maybe not right for you. I got rid a my mopho and radias because of this even though they were great once you spent time with them. I just wasn't inspired to even turn them on eventually because I knew the inspiration was too far away inside.
zoomtheline

Postby HideawayStudio » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 am

JP6 any day of the year - real VCOs for a start!
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby philip » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 pm

+1 for Jupiter 6
philip

Postby stf-ran » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 pm

I've played and had access to both of these synths over the years(owned neither). The JP-6 has a certain sweetness to the sound that's hard to put your finger on. JP-6 +1. Though, the Prophet isn't a bad synth at all. If you were gigging, I'd probably go with the newer synth.
stf-ran

Gear: Moog Voyager, Lots of old Roland MKSs and JXs. Yamaha S70xs, TX802, TX81Z. Novation KS4. SQ80, Minibrute, Montribe, Cubase. NI.

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:51 pm

TaylorBart wrote:I found that my band mates juno 60 although an incredibly boring synth specs wise, just sounds like a record.

Tail wagging the dog. An instrument that's been used on lots of records of course sounds like a record ;)

You certainly don't need to ask us whether you should get a JP6, seems to me you have already decided. You'll only get two answers anyway, do it or don't do it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Casshern » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm

A Prophet 600 with a P600FW kit installed, will dance circles around a Prophet 08.
As for comparing against a Jupiter 6, that becomes very subjective.
The Prophet 600 at that point sounds more "raw", whilst the Jupiter 600 (even with Europa mod) is more like "butter."
Casshern

Gear: Too much to list.
-
Ensoniq PARIS Pro V3.

Postby 8bit9bot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 am

i have not owned or used a jupiter 6 but i have had an mks-80... it was a rev5 so maybe this is a stretch... but i dont think the jupiter-6 and mks-80 are very good as a "last synth you will ever need" - if you get the jup6 you will probably want something else later... especially if you like stuff that has strong resonance... the jup6/mks80 have a mellow resonance sound... similar to the alpha junos - if you compare to any american CEM machine... even the new DSI stuff... its no where in the same ball park - that being said.. the MKS-80 had some of the nicest strings and unison bass (without reso) ever - didn't think it rocked brass very well - hope this helps
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts