Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

Postby knolan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:48 pm

plikestechno wrote:
8bit9bot wrote:
I don't find my Jupiter 6 tame at all. It has way more balls than the Prophet T8 (not 08, T8) that I finally gathered up the guts to sell off and ship. Don't miss it whatsoever and will never grab another Prophet (old or new) again. Unless a rev2 Prophet 5 fell into my hands for cheap LOL. I liked the capabilities of the T8 but could never get into its sound and it's worth a lot so out it went.

Have to say I don't agree with this at all. I may program and experiment with my J6 more than my Prophet T8s (I use two of them) - but the Prophet T8 can, for me, range from pure velvet to outright gargantuan. Playing a sawtooth with velocity and aftertouch on filter and velocity is as sweet as it gets, but layering two programs together makes this thing a monster. I have one brassy program on it - don't know how I made it - that uses Poly-mod; and when put through a little chorus and reverb it is absolutely gigantic. it responds to velocity an aftertouch, and all I can say is, it transcends analogue synthesis. It may as well be a virtual acoustic sound. It's so brassy and so responsive, I have never come across anything like it. Epic and symphonic. The Prophet T8 gets a hard time because it has the curtis chips, but I can tell you, I find it absolutely stunning.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby dswo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 am

I've never played a Jupiter 6. I do have a Prophet 08 and, last month, I bought a Juno 6 on eBay. I know it's not the same as a Jupiter anything, but my brain was wired to like the Juno, simply by growing up in the 1980s (I graduated from high school in 1988). That said, owning the Juno has helped me to appreciate the P08. It's not just that the Prophet can do more things (though it certainly can). Rather, working with the Juno has taught me a couple things that have carried over to the Prophet; AND it's made me realize how surgical the Prophet can be. I know that one man's "surgical" is another man's "clinical." There's no question in my mind that the Juno's one DCO is hairier than the Prophet's two. But now that I have hairy in my studio, I'm learning that I don't want it all the time.

I'd like to say more (because I'm an English professor and talking about intangibles is what I do best). But as soon as I write something about one synth, I feel disloyal to the other. The Juno is everything I wanted it to be; and I love the P08 more than ever.
dswo

Postby padmonster » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 am

I've gathered a JP6 and a pair of v5 MKS-80's in addition to a 5-voice Poly Evolver rig. I've played the P08 next to a Poly Evolver - I'd take the PE any day of the week. I've done the calibrations on the JP6 and both MKS-80's a bit differently than the procedure calls out with respect to the resonance adjustments - it's a huge change. If you calibrate the resonance to spec, it's very smooth, but pretty tame (especially when you listen to a v5 MKS-80 versus a v4). But, by adjusting the calibration, the resonance gets much more punchy, and will distort if you push it hard enough (especially on the JP6's HPF and BPF modes).
padmonster

Postby Carey M » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 am

knolan wrote:The Prophet T8 gets a hard time because it has the curtis chips, but I can tell you, I find it absolutely stunning.

The old Prophet T8 is rather different sounding than the new Prophet 08 though, and with a distinctly different set of CEMs. And VCOs!

;)
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts