Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Jupiter 6 Vs Proph 08

Postby knolan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:05 am

I own a Jupiter 6 and I love it. It's rock solid, got buckets of options and capability, absolutely classic Roland sound. I have a prophet T8 too and love it - but find that because of the lay out of the control surface I tend not to experiment as much with it as I do with the J6. The J6 overflows with buttons, knobs and faders that just invites you to use them and experiment. Can't comment on the 08 - but you will not be disappointed with Jupiter 6 if you get a good quality one.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby spock » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:46 pm

What he said :agree: I love mine. The Europa mod is fantastic, and brings it into the 21st Century 8-)
Then of course you'll want some nice effects too... :wink:
JP-6 JX-3P+PG200 SQ80 MW1 CZ101 S3200XL ME35T ME80P BCR2000
126 565 H949 SuperPrimeTime Vortex DPS-R7+F7 MU-R201 M1-XL D2
Palindrometer FunctionJunction dbx DB8000S Tango24 HDSP ARC32S
PhenomX6+16GB Debian GNU/Linux Ardour JACK Piano Percussion Bowls
spock

Gear: Piano, flutes, koncovka,
analogue+digital synths+FX,
African drums, percussion,
Tibetan singing bowls, gongs...

Postby Alphacode » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Definitely go with the Jupiter, The Prophet 8 was the worst synth after the Evolver that i ever got and i got many synths in the past.

It has a very slim sound and is very uninspiring.
My Gear : SYNTHS : Novation Bass Station 2, Novation K-Station, Korg Ms20, Arturia Microbrute, Roland Tr8, Arturia SparkLe VST.
OTHER EQUIPEMENT : Fostex Pm1 MkII Monitors, Focusrite 18i8, Rhode NT-2

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alphacode909
Alphacode

Postby plikestechno » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:01 pm

8bit9bot wrote:It was a rev5 so maybe this is a stretch...

It's a pretty big stretch. The Jupe 6 is more like a rev 4. not rev 5 MKS-80. The rev 5s use the filter chips from MKS-70s which I agree has a much more tame, but still great sound. There are also other sound shaping options on the Jupiter 6, especially with Europa, that you cannot do on the MKS-80.

I don't find my Jupiter 6 tame at all. It has way more balls than the Prophet T8 (not 08, T8) that I finally gathered up the guts to sell off and ship. Don't miss it whatsoever and will never grab another Prophet (old or new) again. Unless a rev2 Prophet 5 fell into my hands for cheap LOL. I liked the capabilities of the T8 but could never get into its sound and it's worth a lot so out it went.

I think the Jupiter 6 has been compared to the Jupiter 8 for too long and people are finally getting into what the Jupiter 6 does best. It is the ultimate techno, electro machine IMHO. Reminds me of having six SH-101s but with many more options.

I'd run and buy that Jupe 6 as fast as you can if it's on sale for cheap. Someone else will grab it if you don't and great synth deals are getting fewer and more far between these days.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:15 pm

I'd go for the Prophet over the Jupiter.
I love the sound of old Roland. But not so much the maintenance.
I also do not like getting too reliant on gear that can't be replaced easily.
Mostly because of several major thefts and 2 house fires, I've learned to value gear for what it does not it's cool factor.

OTOH I do agree that some older synths do seem to just have a better timbre to the Oscs, and the line output often has a certain 'magic' that give it a beefier sound.
I'm not certain, but I would not be surprised if some of the old upper tier Rolands have discrete opamps and/or transformers on the line out. This combination is pretty well known to impart 'heft' or what the kids call 'phat'.
Or maybe not?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Bitexion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Watch on youtube.com

Well this video ignited my GAS for a JP6 for sure..love this guy. Make sure to turn on subtitles.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby IronPizza » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Just by watching the videos, to me the Jupiter looks like a super fancy DX7 while the Prophet sounds really full and seems to have a bit more grit to it. I kinda want to try these synths now.
-Iron Pizza
IronPizza

Gear: Yamaha DX7
Waldorf Pulse 2
Casiotone MT-100
Yamaha DGX-520
Band: Iron Pizza

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 am

Man, if the Jupiters weren't as pricey as they are I'd be all over that...

And yeah, Ujiie is just the best. He always looks like he's having a total blast.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby synthparts » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 am

commodorejohn wrote:Man, if the Jupiters weren't as pricey as they are I'd be all over that...

Jupiter-8s are "pricey" but Jupiter-6s are still a good bargain.

Too bad in that demo vid he doesn't mention the 2 things that separate the JP-6 from all the other Jupiters - the ability to combine waveforms on both VCOs and the multimode LP/BP/HP resonant filters.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby zoomtheline » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:08 am

I prefer the look of the JP6 to the JP8 It's like a Decepticon while the JP8 is an Autobot.

JP6

JP8
zoomtheline

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 pm

synthparts wrote:Jupiter-8s are "pricey" but Jupiter-6s are still a good bargain.

Oh? Last I saw they were up to $2500-3500 on eBay...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm

I remember not too long ago when they were a tad over a grand, everything was cheaper. Then people who saw an investment opportunity got involved and ruined everything, oh well.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Walter Ego » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

synthparts wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Man, if the Jupiters weren't as pricey as they are I'd be all over that...

Jupiter-8s are "pricey" but Jupiter-6s are still a good bargain.

Too bad in that demo vid he doesn't mention the 2 things that separate the JP-6 from all the other Jupiters - the ability to combine waveforms on both VCOs and the multimode LP/BP/HP resonant filters.

Yeah--it's the most powerful synth I've ever played (though I haven't played a JP-8). You can punch in all the waveforms in VCO 2 simultaneously, and 2 waveforms in VCO 1, if I recall correctly. Not much to compare that to. It feels like you're playing a electrical storm, but in a very musical way. Among other things, it excels at sharp stabbing sounds. It has an enormous filter sweet spot. I have a Juno 60 now, and it can do a few of the things that a JP can do, but has no split mode and only one VCO.

One of my favorite things to do with the 6 is set the LFO on VCO 2 at a low rate so it detunes slowly against the VCO 1--do this in Unison mode and detune away to your heart's content--it's a very musical and useable detune that just sounds absolutely massive; whether in the upper range or in an arpeggiated bassline with the cutoff frequency set low and the LFO modulating the cut as well. It's all incredibly easy and intuitive as well; nothing hidden, just grab them knobs and go at it. Magic.

I've never played a Prophet '08, but I've never heard a demo of it that compares to the Jupe 6 in terms of that feeling of raw power.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby Walter Ego » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:01 pm

^^^
Mega-derp. I don't think you can do the LFO'd VCO thing in Unison mode. Oops. That would not make any sense.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby CfNorENa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I have a Juno 60 now, and it can do a few of the things that a JP can do, but has no split mode and only one VCO.

DCO
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts