$200 + Korg Prophecy VS Korg Z1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

$200 + Korg Prophecy VS Korg Z1

Postby corndogssg » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:33 pm

just wondering what you guys would rather have, considering a z1 is about 500 and the prophecy is 300. is it worth spending the extra 2 bills for a z1 ? yeah I know all the specs ones mono ones not blah blah blah. plz only give info if you have, had or at least spent some time playing either synth. thanks
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Advertisement:

Re: $200 + Korg Prophecy VS Korg Z1

Postby thehighesttree » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 pm

You should ask yourself the more abstract questions at this point, things like:

-Are you okay with a monosynth for the sounds you're looking to create? Specifically, are you going to be using it more for evolving pads, or phat lead/solo sounds? There's overlap here, but the Prophecy is generally considered to sound phatter than the Z1 (check their respective Waveshaping sections)
-Do you prefer the workflow of multi-timbral synths when it comes to making patches? How about dedicated controls for the more basic functions like the envelope? Are you okay with a multitimbral synth with a single pair of outputs?
-Do you need the additional models of the Z1? Think about whether or not you're happy with the electric piano, organ, and bowed-style string sounds your other gear can produce.
-Would you rather have that sweet 4-controller logwheel, or would you be happy with a kaoss pad built into more traditional synth controls?
-Is this gonna be more of a fixed, studio piece, or are you a gigging musician?
-The big one: are you a trained/experienced pianist, or are you more of a synth-tweaker?

The last 3 plus the fact that the Z1 I had access to was twice as much swung me in favour of picking up the Prophecy, but if I didn't already have an AN1x things may have been different. Hope that at least gives you something to think about!
thehighesttree

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I have a Korg Prophecy and I've bought three of them. I love it. However, there are some issues you need to be aware of. Really check the output jack. It's been known to disconnect from the circuit board and the fix is a bit of a chore. Also, check the log wheel. The ribbon especially, for bubbles or anything that interrupts the flow of sound mod in the log.

Regarding Z1 v/s Prophecy, Prophecys are more common than the Z1. It might be easier to find another Prophecy than a Z1. I don't own a Z1 but though both the Prophecy and Z1 share similar characteristics, the Z1 is not a polyphonic Prophecy. It has similarities in sound, but not quite the same. At some point, I'd like to have a Z1, (to drive my M3), but it's not urgent.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Postby corndogssg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

thanx guys, well I got a prophecy as the mono digital synth sound was something different but sadly, although the one if got sounds great the problem being is that it's messed up in a way that won't let me use the 5 knobs to tweak, edit and make patches, and although it sounds great I didn't spend 250 bucks on 128 sounds that I can't tweak and or make my own. so it's going back to the seller tomorrow.

but on the flipside I just delivered pizza to some dude tonight that has a ronland jx10 for sale for the same price!!!! :D
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm

The knobs do multiple changes and they change the display if you don't tweak them and as soon as you do, they affect the parameter that's on display. If this is what is happening, it's normal. Also, there are some sites, I forget where. that you can download via sys ex, new patches.

Maybe have a look at youtube videos to see if anyone else is doing what you're trying to accomplish. The Prophecy is not an easy synth to program without some outboard help.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Postby thehighesttree » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Corndog: Are you sure you're in Editing mode? You need to select the patch you want and then hit the arrow button in the upper-left side of the pushbutton matrix to toggle modes, THEN you can hit the parameter buttons (osc, mixer, etc) to make patch changes. Be sure you're doing this right before you give up on it: JXs are nice synths (with a programmer), but they don't give you nearly the sound design options of the Proph.

Phollop: Crazy to see a prominent member from NS! That's awesome! Have you checked kijiji? There's someone looking for a Prophecy right now on there. When I saw that, I knew I'd have to bite the bullet after over a years' searching and sign up for eBay. There seems to be a general resurgence of popularity for the Prophecy, so it might not be so common soon. I think for what you pay, even as a controller it's a great value if you get one in good condition!
thehighesttree

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:11 pm

thehighesttree wrote:…..
Phollop: Crazy to see a prominent member from NS! That's awesome! Have you checked kijiji? There's someone looking for a Prophecy right now on there. When I saw that, I knew I'd have to bite the bullet after over a years' searching and sign up for <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ebay.com"><span>eBay</span></a>. There seems to be a general resurgence of popularity for the Prophecy, so it might not be so common soon. I think for what you pay, even as a controller it's a great value if you get one in good condition!

That was my ad. I try to keep one spare for live etc. I have two right now, but the 2nd one has lost its voices due to an intermittent jack and simultaneous static electricity build up with the jack cord still in. I use the 2nd one to drive my modular when needed since the sounds are no longer there.
Phollop Willing PA

Postby thehighesttree » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Wow, that's really rough. :( Even though I heard this was a known issue with them, I didn't consider the fact that it's got an internal power supply so I figured it might just be a simple PCB resolder, but if it's enough to decommission the voice chips then that's....troubling. Makes me think twice about doing a keytar mod for it...

I'm not on here too often, but if you're ever in desperate need of one for a one-off gig or something, PM me some contact info and I could probably loan you mine. I don't wanna derail the thread too much, but I'm just curious if you're mainly a hobbiest or if you play locally.
thehighesttree

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks that very kind, but I have a working one. I took the log out of the 2nd one and put it on the first since the ribbon had a bubble. It works great.

It was totally my fault for doing something I normally don't do, that is, move a keyboard with the jack cord trailing on a carpet and then plugging it back in.

My first Prophecy was bought new and still has been in my setup ever since.

As long as the Prophecy has no issues in the jacks, I see no reaon why you couldn't use it as keytar but it might be better to get a keytar and just midi it up to the Prophecy if you want those sounds.

I hope the OP got his Prophecy worked out.
Phollop Willing PA

Postby corndogssg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 am

well I did buy the jx10, it's a dam bargain for under 300 in pristine condition if you ask me, but... so about the prophecy, in editing mode, is it normal that it seems like the right arrow button is constantly stuck on? so the bottom half of the parameters that you can adjust keeps flashing from page 1 to 2 to 3 then back again?? and when I try to menu dive deeper it keeps wanting to go to the right like literally someone is clicking the right arrow button ever second. it will let me tweak it and will stop flashing while a use one of the 5 knobs but as soon as I let go it's back to flashing to the next page, next page, next page, ect, I can't even have time enough to read what the parameter abreviations mean before it goes to the next page. is that normal prophecy menu behavior? where the bottom half of the screen keeps flashing going on to the next menu page every second?

if it is, that's pretty lame, but I won't ship it back to e bay. I really do love it's sounds, 1st digi mono synth I've ever owned. and the big mod wheel with the ribbon in it is something more synths should have if you ask me.
corndogssg

Postby thehighesttree » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

You select your patch with the left+right arrow buttons on the right of the display (the ones to the left are more ofa "page" select that skips past 6 patches at a time). If you wanna dive into a given patch, take a look at all the buttons to the right...the 2nd one in the top row is what you need to hit to open it up. Check my crummy diagram below...

OxOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO

The blinking you're describing is when the synth is in Performance mode and you can make tweaks to pre-defined parameters assigned to the 5 knobs, and the button i've pointed to you will toggle between Performance and Editor modes. Once you hit this button, if you want to delete the patch, hit the "Common" button...

OOOOOOOOOOxO
OOOOOOOOOOOO

...and use the page buttons to the left of the screen to find the screen i think is called "CMN-10" which lets you initialize a patch. This thing is a beast when it coems to programming, so I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with all the parameters, so download a copy of the parameter guide! It's not too bad to program, but there are 6 EGs and 4 LFOs, and getting familiar with everything and where it is will take time. Good luck!
thehighesttree

Return to Synth Shootouts