Korg mono/poly vs Korg polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg mono/poly vs Korg polysix

Postby corndogssg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I seem to not be able to get enough analog lately. besides the monotribe I find myself wanting a korg analog. I got a gut feeling that korg will do a re-release of the polysix soon, much like they are doing the karp ody, and the ms20mini last year.

but what are the real differences between these two besides the obvious 1/4 voice and 6 voice. do they pretty much have the same sound and capabilities?

it also seems to be much harder to find either one of these synths in working order, compared to say roland juno's. So if korg does make a re release of either one of these 2 synths,(I lean towards thinking that they will re make the polysix because that and the ms20 are on the I pad and the software version is on their kronos) If they do i can see myself picking one up asap, as well as several thousands of other synth heads
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Advertisement:

Re: Korg mono/poly vs Korg polysix

Postby Z » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:15 pm

The Korg PolySix is a true 6 voice polyphonic synth with filter and amp for each voice. However, each voice uses a single VCO, but has selectable -1oct or -2 oct sub-oscillator for deep bass, organ timbres or any other sound requiring a doubled octave.

The Mono/Poly can either be used as a 4 osc monosynth, with sync and Xmod capability or as a 4 voice PARAphonic polysynth with all 4 voices sharing the same filter and amp.

Neither have MIDI, but there are retrofit kits for both. I recently had the KiwiSix upgrade added to my PolySix. The MP-4 uses 1v/octave CV scaling which is common with Moog, ARP, Roland and SCI synths instead of the Hz/V scaling that other Korg and Yamaha synths use.

Both have their pros and cons. Polysix has the dreaded leaky battery syndrome, so be sure to check to make sure that has been taken care of before purchase. The price of PolySix synths are just over a grand whereas the Mono/Poly has shot up over $1500. A buddy of mine just sold his Mono/Poly on Vemia this past weekend for $2k!

youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Another note on the Polysix - if you are handy under the hood, you can score a dead Polysix (assuming its the battery issue) for sub-$500 and snag the Kiwisix mod (replaces the defective board) for $400 or another rebuilt battery board for $250. Either way, you can get into a Polysix for less than a grand, if you're patient and/or can perform the work needed!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby moremagic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 pm

the polysix has the ensemble, the phaser, fully articulated voices, and its kinda dirty, not quite breaking up but just about ready to most of the time. oh and the patch memory which is a lot of fun with the arpeggiator
the mono/poly is the most amazing musical instrument ive had the luck to put my hands on and would certainly sell 3 limbs before it, and depending on how good a d-beam -> cv converter, id consider the 4th!!! timbrally its not as gritty as the polysix; its mixer has a bit of headroom after diming everything, filter res is the only way to get it to distort in any serious fashion but with the noise gen and fx (more patching options, really) you dont need to.
if you want to be in a band, get a polysix. if you want to break every window in your neighborhood, get a mono/poly
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 am

Oh and Z - that demo is great by the way!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby corndogssg » Sat May 03, 2014 10:32 am

dam, I wish I would of asked this thread awhile ago, I passed on a near mint polysix for 400 bucks because it was dead, If I would of known a kiwisix board would of fixed her up I would of snagged it. oh well, now I know :) and looks like I am gonna have to get both polysix and monopoly cuz I am a band and I wanna break out all my neighbors windows :)

thanx 4 the info. now I just would be happy with either one, doesn't sway me on either one. they both to me are the cream of the crop to korg analog. is there another korg "top dog" analog synth besides the ms10,20,50 line?
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute

Postby chipaudette » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:35 pm

I have both a Mono/Poly and a Polysix. If I had to keep just one, it would be the Mono/Poly. No question.

The Mono/Poly has:

* Portamento (P6 does not)
* Separate envelopes for VCF and for VCA (P6 has one envelope),
* More waveforms for the LFO (P6 only has triangle)
* The sync/xmod section is bananas...so many awesome sounds in there
* Its speed for the PWM goes slower
* Its arpeggiator is THE BOMB when stepping through the four voices individually (set to different octaves, of course).

In favor of the Polysix...it is polyphonic, if you're into that sort of thing. And, yes, it has patch memory, but this synth isn't very complicated, so I don't usually use it. The P6 also has the chorus/phaser/ensemble effect, but only the ensemble is unique. The chorus/phase wouldn't be necessary if it had 2 oscillators per voice...which it doesn't... it has only one. The P6 also has no velocity sensitivity, which is a bit sad for a poly synth. Finally, it does not have a sustain pedal, which I found surprising for a polysynth.

While it seems like I'm poo-poo'ing on the P6, that's not my intention. I just want you to make sure that you know what you're getting into. While I bad mouth it sometimes, I do like it way more than a Juno 6/60/106. The sound is more alive...maybe it's the VCOs (vs the Juno's DCO) that make it sound better (to me). Or maybe its the SSM filter chips (I love them!). Or maybe it's just the extra amount of circuitry in the P6 signal path that makes it more dirty and lively.

On the downside, you might say that all the extra circuitry makes it sound dark and muddy. It also makes the P6 feel a little less snappy. The envelopes on the P6 are plenty fast, but there's some gain control circuitry later in the signal path that can be slow to open and close...hence, it doesn't feel as fast as the Juno.

With all of these complaints, you might ask why I still have it (and use it regularly). The answer is that the Polysix is pretty easily modified. I've done lots to it...added aftertouch, portamento, controllable detuning, better arp modes, 2-osc per voice mode, sustain pedal, etc. If you're interested, you can check it out at synthhacker.blogspot.com. A good starting place would be:

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... -demo.html

Even with all of these mods, I'd still keep the Mono/Poly instead of the P6.

Chip
Last edited by chipaudette on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipaudette

Postby madtheory » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Those prices are NUTS. They are nice synths. But the prices are NUTS.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby moremagic » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:24 am

switching patches via memory on the polysix while arping is about as cool as using poly mode on the monopoly for arps imo
and yeah , th ensemble is the killer effect but some sounds dont need to be that big so the chorus works better and sometimes a pad needs to be extra spacy and the phasers just the thing
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby corndogssg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:10 pm

yo chipaudette

i feel this site should update your "newbie" status at once after seeing what you have done to your synths by yourself! way to go mang!!!
corndogssg

Postby chipaudette » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey, thanks for the kind words! Modding my P6 was fun!
chipaudette

Postby Pro5 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Still loving my (two) polysix(es).

And the fact it has patch memory makes it even sweeter to me.

I hate not having patch memory, even on a simple synth (why I sold my SH-101s eventually) life's just too short, when you nail a sound to have to redial it each and every time.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby chipaudette » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Pro5 wrote:I hate not having patch memory, even on a simple synth (why I sold my SH-101s eventually) life's just too short, when you nail a sound to have to redial it each and every time.

...and from my personal perspective, life is too short to keep playing the same patches. Having no patch memory (as in the Mono/Poly) or trying to ignore the patch memory capability (as in the P6) forces me to twist a lot of knobs every time I sit down at the synth. Serendipity kicks in and I end up discovering some new cool sound that I've never hit before. That's what really lights me up...some new sound that causes me to generate some new cool riff. That's my personal inspiration.

Different strokes for different folks.

Great discussion!

Chip
chipaudette

Postby moremagic » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Pro5 wrote:Still loving my (two) polysix(es).

And the fact it has patch memory makes it even sweeter to me.

I hate not having patch memory, even on a simple synth (why I sold my SH-101s eventually) life's just too short, when you nail a sound to have to redial it each and every time.

lol i barely touch the keyboard on the monopoly, its all just turning knobs and dials for me
he polysix has a cheaper feeling keybed (or maybe mines just beat) but its definitely more of a keyboard instrument than the monopoly, with the delay on the mg, greater polyphony, footswitchable chord mem. im not particularly adept at using patch memory on the polysix because its easier to dial in a patch than figure out where i saved it ,
moremagic

Postby chipaudette » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm

moremagic wrote: footswitchable chord mem.

How Interesting! I never use it. But, on the Mono/Poly, you have footswitchable portamento, which I use *all* the time.

moremagic wrote:im not particularly adept at using patch memory on the polysix because its easier to dial in a patch than figure out where i saved it ,

I'm with you on that one, brother.
chipaudette

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts