HELP US GROW - WRITE REVIEWS FOR VSE!

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

HELP US GROW - WRITE REVIEWS FOR VSE!

Postby Board Admin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,

As some of you may be aware, in the past, we have asked our members to contribute to the VSE website by sending in their reviews. We are now looking to add some more awesome reviews, and who better to ask than your vintage synth knowledgeable selves again! :P

If you would like to have a bash at writing a review (and your submission is approved), you will be given a ‘VSE Contributor’ ranking in the forum, as well as a $30 Amazon Gift Card, just because we’re nice like that. ;) HOWEVER, there are certain criteria to be met in order for a review to be published:

- We want NEW reviews; please check which synth reviews are already listed on the website.
- It must be informative and impartial and provide as many links & facts about the instrument as possible.
- It must be articulate, and based on first hand experience of the instrument.
- The review itself must be a minimum of 500 words.

We will be proofreading and checking the facts of each submission, before (hopefully) approving and publishing. You will receive full credit as the author of the article on the page, if it is added.

There are two ways to submit a review, either via the submissions form on the VSE website, which you can find here: submission.php Or, if you run into any issues with this form, you can use the link below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tMrGWw ... =send_form

It is important that you fill out as many of the form fields as possible, as of course, we want to offer as much information about the synths to our readers as we can.

So, in summary, if you have experience with a synth that isn’t featured at the VSE, and you feel this synth justifies some praise (or not as the case may be), we would be more than happy to add it to the VSE collection. Furthermore, if you have any questions, please feel free to send us a private message.

Thanks guys, and we look forward to receiving your synth reviews soon!

P.S. It sounds obvious, but please ONLY use the submission form for submitting serious reviews! Submissions will be immediately rejected if they are used simply to recommend adding an instrument, if information from other sites is copied and pasted in, if they are fairly incomplete or if they do not meet our standards. If you are not able to write a review of a synth and provide some basic specs and links then this is not for you.
Board Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Advertisement:

Re: HELP US GROW - WRITE REVIEWS FOR VSE!

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:41 pm

I've submitted one for the Volca Beats and if that is accepted, I'll do one for the Keys as well.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Board Admin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Awesome! Gratefully received, thank you.
Board Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adekoyote » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 am

Honestly your website also needs to update some of the reviews that you already have there...
adekoyote

Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Postby Jorvik » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Oh dammit :oops: :cry:

I've just put the finishing touches to my reviews of all three Volcas (been working on them since October!) – would've had them finished three weeks ago but family issues cropped up.

I'm really bummed now as I've put a lot of work into them (there's about 3800 words between them, not including the tech specs for the sidebar) and they were written together so that they complement each other (as the Volcas themselves do). :cry:

ETA: any other instrument and it wouldn't be so bad, I was beaten to it and a bit of time and effort goes down the drain. The reason I'm so bummed is because Sequential's one review renders all three I've written, and many, many hours' work, redundant. There could do with being some mechanism for informing who's working on what reviews so that effort isn't duplicated.
Jorvik

Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 am

Jorvik wrote:Oh dammit :oops: :cry:

I've just put the finishing touches to my reviews of all three Volcas (been working on them since October!) – would've had them finished three weeks ago but family issues cropped up.

I'm really bummed now as I've put a lot of work into them (there's about 3800 words between them, not including the tech specs for the sidebar) and they were written together so that they complement each other (as the Volcas themselves do). :cry:

ETA: any other instrument and it wouldn't be so bad, I was beaten to it and a bit of time and effort goes down the drain. The reason I'm so bummed is because Sequential's one review renders all three I've written, and many, many hours' work, redundant. There could do with being some mechanism for informing who's working on what reviews so that effort isn't duplicated.

I imagine they'll choose the best one, so yours very well may be it. Especially if they all go together. If you do win, can I take the Volca Sample when it comes out ? :D
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby scottrod » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Somebody needs to do one for the Korg T1.

And, it would be great if there was a field for the original MSRP.
Last edited by scottrod on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottrod
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby db0451 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:35 pm

adekoyote wrote:Honestly your website also needs to update some of the reviews that you already have there...
Yeah, sorry, but there are quite a lot of reviews containing misinformation, biased personal opinions, uncited speculation, useless weasel words (‘Most listeners agree that Product X does not sound as good as Widget Y’), bad grammar, etc.… The latter and its ilk I’m not so worried about as I’d not want to exclude non-native English speakers – but the other things? They need to go.

Can there be some form of community review process? Going full wiki is presumably not on the table, but I would say there does need to be some sort of evaluation process, rather than just accepting the first review that’s long enough and assuming the person actually knows what they’re talking about.

Of course, plenty of reviews are perfectly fine. But the ones that aren’t – need to be addressed. Especially because so many people listing on eBay just copy and paste whatever is written here. If it’s not true, that means it gets spread everywhere regardless. Wikipedia is terrible for that as other pages harvest snapshots of content, regardless of truth value. Here there’s a chance to add measures that prevent propagation of bad info.

Just my 2p…
db0451

Return to Synth Shootouts