Akai Miniak vs. Korg R3

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Akai Miniak vs. Korg R3

Postby Antimatter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 pm

I really want to get my hands on the Akai Miniak (or Alesis Micron, they're the same thing pretty much), but I'm debating between it and the Korg R3.

The Miniak is cheaper and has more multi-timbral parts, and seems to have more features than the R3. I also like its sound better. The Miniak also has drum sequencing and semi-weighted keys.

In regards to menu-diving, I don't mind having to deal with slow patch programming.

I mainly produce electro house, progressive house, and trance.

Which synth is better?
Antimatter

Advertisement:

Re: Akai Miniak vs. Korg R3

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:55 pm

the MiniAK has almost the same controls as a Micron. Patch programming is *very* slow compared to the R3, and it is very had to 'tweak' patch settings when you have to navigate back and forth and back and forth (a common 'f'rinstance' would be adjusting cutoff and resonance on the filter.)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby madmarkmagee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:01 pm

I've got an R3. It's pretty difficult to do any serious editing from the front panel, but there is a free korg pc editor. While I don't have a minak, from what I've read its front panel editing is much, much worse then the R3, it doesn't have an official editor or a usb port.

That is what both the used and new VA market is like. You have to put up with some aspect of the synth that isn't ideal or pay top dollar.
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby _dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:05 pm

+1 for miniak, but if you don't need more than 4parts multitimbal and onboard sequencing I'd say get an Ion. If you need more then 8 voices then don't get the miniak or ion. Editing is doable on the miniak with shortcuts and the assignables, but only in singal voice (program) mode. Voice editing is pretty much non existent in multitimbral mode. Voice editing on the ion is a breeze in single and multi, but sometimes I felt like the knobs were to slow... Super smooth but a little slow. The three assignable wheels on the ion, plus mod matrix and expression pedal make up for that. Also I have mixed feelings about trs connectors as they are not compatible with alot of inputs.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Return to Synth Shootouts