Xiosynth for standalone beatmaking. Good for Beginner?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Xiosynth for standalone beatmaking. Good for Beginner?

Postby thrilla cam » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 am

Hey guys,

Ive been going crazy trying to work out what to do, the past few weeks.
Ive got a budget of $200 (pitiful I know, but I found some Xio's for sale around that price) and want to make some reggae, reggae dub and gfunk battlecat/ dre style beats, in a stand alone way, not having to use software and DAW's.

Here are some examples of style of music im into.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdO8NBQcB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_pnJQ48m4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1B-EfTzOI

(can it play chords?)
I read about a method to set different semitones on the 3 oscillators which the Xio has, would this allow some skanking reggae chords?

I dont have any synth experience, but a very strong desire to learn, and make some music for years.

The Xiosynth looks good so far. Is this a good entry level machine to do that?

Also I have a basic Roland Digital Piano ep-7. And midi to usb cable, will I be able to use this the control the XIO?

What are your thoughts? I prefer hands on approach, and computer use is not an option, because I sit on them all day for work.

I greatly appreciate any input, and please go easy on me lol

Bless
thrilla cam

Advertisement:

Re: Xiosynth for standalone beatmaking. Good for Beginner?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 am

It can play chords, but you couldn't make a whole track on it without using a computer or some other recording/sequencing device.

If I were you I'd be looking for something like a second-hand Emu Command Station like an XL-7 or MP-7. They can do drums, bass, chords and everything and you can sequence a whole track in one. I sold my XL-7 to a friend and he's made a fair bit of digital dub on it, he's pretty into it. I think a Command Station would be the best bet in your price range, they usually go really cheap. They can take a little bit of getting used to and the manual is pretty thick but that's the trade off for something so cheap.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby thrilla cam » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:48 pm

thanks for the advice,

BUT can i use the sequencer thats on the XIO to just learn the basics? Maybe u forgot it has one, or is it garbage lol?

The XL-7 looks promising so far. User friendly enough for a total beginner, with only a very basic digital piano?

Im browsing the xl-7 manual, right now. :idea:
thrilla cam

Postby Sir Nose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:57 pm

I was going to say the same. Command station XL-7, MP-7, or PX-7.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm

thrilla cam wrote:thanks for the advice,

BUT can i use the sequencer thats on the XIO to just learn the basics? Maybe u forgot it has one, or is it garbage lol?

The XL-7 looks promising so far. User friendly enough for a total beginner, with only a very basic digital piano?

Im browsing the xl-7 manual, right now. :idea:

You can't do a whole song on the xio's sequencer, for a start it only plays one sound at a time, also the sequencer is more like a complicated arpeggiator than a full-blown sequencer.
Stab Frenzy

Postby thrilla cam » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:56 am

With the Xl-7 are the stock sounds good enough, cause the extra roms look expensive and hard to get. Are there soundbanks or patches around to download or do I just have to tweak the sounds myself.

Also can I just hook it up to any midi keyboard ,and amp for a basic setup? The setups in the manual had a lot more equpiment, that I cant afford.

Sorry for the noob questions, but seriously you guys saved my life, I was about to cop that Xio. :oops:
thrilla cam

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 am

thrilla cam wrote:With the Xl-7 are the stock sounds good enough, cause the extra roms look expensive and hard to get. Are there soundbanks or patches around to download or do I just have to tweak the sounds myself.

There's probably a bunch of patches out there you could download and put on the machine if you wanted, otherwise making/tweaking your own patches can be pretty rewarding on one. It is one of those machines that it helps to have an idea of what you want to do in your head before you start tweaking though.
thrilla cam wrote:Also can I just hook it up to any midi keyboard ,and amp for a basic setup? The setups in the manual had a lot more equpiment, that I cant afford.

Yep, in fact if you wanted you could just use it by itself with headphones, the pads on the front act as one octave of keys. It's totally useable without any other gear.
Stab Frenzy

Postby thrilla cam » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:50 am

Yep, in fact if you wanted you could just use it by itself with headphones, the pads on the front act as one octave of keys. It's totally useable without any other gear.

Thats good to know. Just thinking it would feel weird to make beats like that. I always thought you needed a keyboard.

Just to be clear though, if I connect it to a basic keyboard. Will the sounds from the command station be playable with the keyboard, like if I play a note in any octave, or chords etc, is it like basically turning my keyboard into a 76 key synth?

Also, since you owned one, can you tell me its physical weight (approx) because I need to know how much shipping might cost me, when I find one lol.

Thanks for putting up with these inane quesions btw.
thrilla cam

Postby thrilla cam » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Anyone tell me if the Xio can be controlled with a digitial piano?
I have one of those midi to usb adaptor plugs, for my digital piano.
Also anyone know a cheap sequencer.
I only ask becuase I might be able to get a Xio very cheap, and dont have an immediate budget for an xl-7, with shipping costs to my country, which are at least ($130 shipping) to buy an xl-7 from the US
thrilla cam

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 am

thrilla cam wrote:Anyone tell me if the Xio can be controlled with a digitial piano?
I have one of those midi to usb adaptor plugs, for my digital piano.
Also anyone know a cheap sequencer.
I only ask becuase I might be able to get a Xio very cheap, and dont have an immediate budget for an xl-7, with shipping costs to my country, which are at least ($130 shipping) to buy an xl-7 from the US

You can't sequence the Xio without a computer. If you're not going to be using a computer the Xio is not the synth for you. You can't control it with your digital piano without a computer between them.
Stab Frenzy

Postby thrilla cam » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 am

thanks for clearing that up Stab.

As per your recommendation, and my own research ;). I have decided on an Xl-7.
One question I have about this is, what is the cheapest hardware way to add short vocal samples to a beat I made?
Eg a sentence cut out of a movie, or what have you. Maybe even echoed out, as is done in dub.

can you recommend a cheap sampler or something for a beginner?

ps: i know im "pumping" you for info, like a maniac (no homo) but your truly a lifeline right now lol
thrilla cam

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

What's wrong with homos? ;)

Best and cheapest option would be a Roland SP-303 or 404. Or a korg kp mini 2 or whatever it's called. Although on the kp you'd need to trim your sample and upload it from the computer.
Stab Frenzy

Postby thrilla cam » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks bro, what about the sp-202 since its much cheaper.?

Also, do you know how they make the echoes on vocal in dub reggae tracks, or a chheap way for me to do it.
Albeit at a lower quality, is still ok for my basic needs.
thrilla cam

Return to Buyer's Guide