READ THIS if you're looking at choosing a new synth!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: READ THIS if you're looking at choosing a new synth!

Postby Music Bird » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:07 pm

1. What is you budget? Unsure. But probably in the 400-500 range.
2. What are you into? (music, sounds, etc) 80's synth music (Duran Duran) and anything with weird sounding synthesizers and foreign music.
3. Live, studio, or personal home use? Personal home.
4. Level of synth expertise? (beginner, intermediate, etc) intermediate
5. List what gear you already have. Casio CTK-6200, Casio CTK-1100 for its vocal bass sound, RadioShack LK-1161 for its auto accompaniment (I have not thought about getting a drum machine, I would rather use an auto accompaniment keyboard for drums).
I wish I could get something with (preferably polyphonic, but I don't think monophonic is so bad) type of sounds. So mainly leads and stabs.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio CTK-6200 Arranger

Re: READ THIS if you're looking at choosing a new synth!

Postby UpTop » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:58 am

1- What is the MOST you could spend? - Around $1000. I could go to $1200 though

2- Is there a more powerful choice just over your budget? If so, save a little more! - Not sure. Will wait for some answers as I'm not quite sure what my options are.

3- What type of music are you going to make? - Electronic w/vocals and maybe electric guitar eventually - Think 15 Step and other heavy Electronica Radiohead songs, as well as The Crystal Method for those crazy bass arps (Trip Like I do)

4- Is a Keyboard a priority or would a rack do? - A want keys! I also like knobs 8-)

5- Are you prepared for repair bills? If not then DO NOT buy a Vintage unit. - I'm actually looking at expanding my current setup to include some analog gear since I have none. I basically need to know what a good first analog synth might be for what I want to do. Maybe SH101 for that bass I mentioned above? I think I've got the spacey pads and leads covered with my other stuff, but I'm not against another analog synth that I might be able to get some low frequency stuff with.

6- Is the synth you are looking at capable of been expanded? - Not too concerned with this. The older analog stuff goes up in price for a reason, and I'm guessing it's partly because the sounds are unique to that instrument.

12- Have you already got this type of synth in your set up? Do you need another? - I have no analog synths.
derp derp derp hey! derp derp derp
UpTop

Gear: Roland XP-80
Roland JP-8000
Roland D-50
Korg KP3+
Yamaha P-105

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide