READ THIS if you're looking at choosing a new synth!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

preset vs. user

Postby subtle_nuance » Sat May 28, 2005 11:49 pm

When looking at the specs on some keyboards, I keep seeing, for example, 'comes with 150 'preset sounds' and 100 'user sounds.' What's the difference? When all you do is page through a list to hear completed sounds that someone else created and stored on the keybaord, like a violin or snare drum, I consider that to be a 'preset'. But once you finish paging through their 'preset' list, you go to the 'user' list and it's more of the same. Is the difference generally that the 'presets' are on a ROM chip and not editable? If both presets and user sounds allow you to change parameters and save the new sound with a different name, then I don't know the difference. When I think of a ROM sound, I think of the inability to change a parameter and store the altered sound in exactly the same place, which is a good thing if you don't want to lose or write over that initial patch provided from the factory - something I would never want to do, no matter how bad it is. I think I accidentally did that on my ENSONIQ when it was SUPPOSE to be read-only. Read-only isn't always what it says.
subtle_nuance

Advertisement:

Postby aeon » Sun May 29, 2005 6:43 am

stillearning wrote:A rompler is a keyboard that is playing back samples of waveforms recorded into rom memory...

By that definition, the Yamaha DX7 is a ROMpler. :roll:

ROMplers were sample-playback boxes with limited parametric/timbral control created to serve a market hungry for the "realistic" 16-bit sounds being produced by the first 16-bit samplers with large memories and libraries (and pricetags!), circa 1990. Examples: E-mu Proteus, Roland U-20.

In the modern context, we might call a S+S (samples plus synthesis) box that makes use of long-loop samples of acoustic, electric and electro-acoustic instruments a ROMpler (though I consider this to be a misuse of the term). Consider that the term "ROMpler" was derived from the word "sampler"...this gives excellent context as to its original use.

ROMpler does not mean "any box that plays back a PCM sample from ROM" IMHO.

cheers,
aeon
aeon

name some bands i know

Postby subtle_nuance » Tue May 31, 2005 9:24 pm

OK, I think this is a great site, and the Synth Finder and write ups on many synths is a great way help decide whether to rule one out or investigate it further, but I have just one problem here. When they give examples of bands who have used the synths listed, I don't see anyone I've heard of before. How does Genesis get their string sounds in 'Hold On My Heart? How did Sting get his pipe-organ sounds in 'If I Ever Lose My Faith In You?' They must be using SOMETHING. Is it because the musicians keep it hush hush? I think they should list every synth by make and model in their song credits if we are gonna pay big bucks for their CD. I don't subscribed to Billboard, but I know they publish mic and board info for selected records. Do they give synth info as well? I've never seen it. I know that I've even seen Stevie Wonder on Tv cover up the brand of keyboard with black tape or paint. I guess they wouldn't pay him an endorsement royalty or give him free gear but he needed their unique sounds anyway.
subtle_nuance

Postby frekwah » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 am

How does Genesis get their string sounds in 'Hold On My Heart? How did Sting get his pipe-organ sounds in 'If I Ever Lose My Faith In You?' They must be using SOMETHING

funnily enough, once you are rich you can afford to play musicians that play instruments, as opposed to emulating it yourself...

dunno if it applies to the above, but don't forget about original analogue... as in instruments
frekwah

Postby sas » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:33 pm

funnily enough

True :lol:
Korg Mono/Poly . Korg Z1 . SCI Prophet 600 . Oberheim Matrix 6r . Akai MPC 2000XL . Yamaha A4000 . Roland MC 303 . Odds/Ends

"If you don't want filberts, then don't buy mixed nuts. Buy something else, like a bag of cashews."
sas

Postby GeoUNStationary » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:24 am

Anonymous wrote:'how angry the missus/girl(boy)friend/bank manager will be'

Thank you! (for not making assumptions)
GeoUNStationary

Postby Kakhi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:00 am

hello...
is the third time i write in this forum and if i can, and if you aren't disagree, i will become an active member...
but i have a little problem, i want to buy a synth like many people and i have a little money..., i wrote in the area of HELP a little question but just one guy answered, now i understand why, i didn't known that all people asks the same here around :)
now i can write all those 24 thinks that you need to know to tell me which synth to buy..., but my quesiton is if i can write that in this same topic or i have to open another in this section or in the section of HELP?

Kakhi

Postby stillearning » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Welcome to VSE, I would ask in the "General Synthesizer" section. Even though these kinds of question get asked a lot, if you give enough information about yourself, I'm sure people will help. This is generally a nice place to ask and learn.

Be sure to include:

your budget
synth experience level
what kind of music/sounds you want to create

Feel free to include anything else you think may be helpful to narrow the choices down.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.
stillearning

Postby Kakhi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm

thank you very much, i really fill goo here around...
about the information i can give that and more, and yes i will create a little topic to get some help because i really need it...
thank you and see you around :wink:
Kakhi

Postby MrFrodo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:03 am

stillearning wrote:A rompler is a keyboard that is playing back samples of waveforms recorded into rom memory, instead of generating waveforms via circuitry as in an analog or a virtual analog. Some people do not consider romplers synthesizers in the pure sense of the word. Romplers are better at sounding like acoustic instruments because it usually is recordings(samples) of real instruments. Current examples are Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, Yamaha Motif, and Kurzweil K2661. In your price range, you will likely be looking for an older one. Now go forth and do some reading on this site, and other websites mentioned above.

For all my knowledge, it's easy to call the Roland D-50 / 550, Yamaha SY series, PPG Wave 2, Korg M1, DSS-1 and 01W series "romplers." The reason being that they're waveform-based synthesizers that happen to base many of their waveforms on acoustic instruments. It's not the same as the E-Mu Emulators, Ensoniq Mirage, Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000, or Oberheim DPX, which are all samplers with onboard VCF and VCA. And, it's not the same as the Roland JV / XV series, the Korg Triton Series, Alesis QS series or Yamaha series. To the best of my knowledge, those are all based on the Emulator II concept, though far more advanced. At least, with the units I originally mentioned, you can possibly concoct a sound all your own, as opposed to sampling it from an external source. You can't really do that on a dedicated sampler.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
MrFrodo
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: READ THIS if your looking at choosing a new synth!

Postby Matt91 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:26 am

Synthacon wrote:Right, this forum is slowly turning in to "What should I buy???"

So how about following a few of these tips....

1- What is the MOST you could spend?

2- Is there a more powerful choice just over your budget? If so, save a little more!

3- What type of music are you going to make?

4- Is a Keyboard a priority or would a rack do?

5- Are you prepared for repair bills? If not then DO NOT buy a Vintage unit.

6- Is the synth you are looking at capable of been expanded?

7- Are there more features than you need, if so this is GOOD!!!

8- Read as many REVIEWS as possible, these are not always as subjective as personal views.

9- TRY one out, not always possible, but you can HIRE stuff you know!

10- Dont think that a new synth will cure your musical faliures.

11- Most synths, and I will say that again "MOST" synths can produce the SAME sounds as each other!!!

12- Have you already got this type of synth in your set up? Do you need another?

13- Lusting after the latest in technology is a BAD thing.

14- Get to know what gear you have already, you will then know EXACTLY what you are missing/in need of!

15- Dont worry about what gear other people have, it does you NO GOOD!!

Sorry, mini rant over!

Thanks
Alesis Ion
Matt91

Re: READ THIS if your looking at choosing a new synth!

Postby Dissolution_99 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:15 pm

Synthacon wrote:Right, this forum is slowly turning in to "What should I buy???"

So how about following a few of these tips....

1- What is the MOST you could spend?

2- Is there a more powerful choice just over your budget? If so, save a little more!

3- What type of music are you going to make?

4- Is a Keyboard a priority or would a rack do?

5- Are you prepared for repair bills? If not then DO NOT buy a Vintage unit.

6- Is the synth you are looking at capable of been expanded?

7- Are there more features than you need, if so this is GOOD!!!

8- Read as many REVIEWS as possible, these are not always as subjective as personal views.

9- TRY one out, not always possible, but you can HIRE stuff you know!

10- Dont think that a new synth will cure your musical faliures.

11- Most synths, and I will say that again "MOST" synths can produce the SAME sounds as each other!!!

12- Have you already got this type of synth in your set up? Do you need another?

13- Lusting after the latest in technology is a BAD thing.

14- Get to know what gear you have already, you will then know EXACTLY what you are missing/in need of!

15- Dont worry about what gear other people have, it does you NO GOOD!!

Sorry, mini rant over!

rule 16, if you are LOADED and spend money like it grows on trees, a moog is always a good choice!
TBA
Dissolution_99

Postby monk_volcano » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:01 pm

rule 16, if you are LOADED and spend money like it grows on trees, a moog is always a good choice!

:lol:

i don't think people like that really do anyresearch.. it's more like just trial and error.. from my experience they just keep buying more and more stuff and blaming the fact that their music sucks on not having the right gear..[/quote]
monk_volcano

Be Lucky??

Postby mrPyburn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 pm

or you could just try and do what i did! Go into your local secondary school, ask if they have any 'old' music tech equipment not being used. Ask to look at it. Make them a cash offer that is below what it is worth and pray they don't know better!!!
i managed to blag my Korg MS2000 for £120 cash and it had only been used for about 5 months.
Not bad going! Sorry to sound smug, but sometimes you can just get equipment from the most unlikeliest of places. Seriously, there are people buying this type of equipment without having the faintest clue how to use it. Give them cash! Teachers love it!!!!
Mr P
You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
mrPyburn

Be Lucky??

Postby mrPyburn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 pm

or you could just try and do what i did! Go into your local secondary school, ask if they have any 'old' music tech equipment not being used. Ask to look at it. Make them a cash offer that is below what it is worth and pray they don't know better!!!
i managed to blag my Korg MS2000 for £120 cash and it had only been used for about 5 months.
Not bad going! Sorry to sound smug, but sometimes you can just get equipment from the most unlikeliest of places. Seriously, there are people buying this type of equipment without having the faintest clue how to use it. Give them cash! Teachers love it!!!!
Mr P
You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
mrPyburn

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide