Korg Karma questions, thoughts?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg Karma questions, thoughts?

Postby supermel74 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 am

I've done some research but I'd like to get a first hand opinion or 2. I was thinking about getting a Karma to replace an RM1x for sequencing and the added benefit of a full sized keyboard, better sound, and the phrase generating stuff looks pretty intriguing too. Would I be losing anything in terms of sequencing abilities with the Karma over the RM1x? Any other opinions on the Karma would be helpful too.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Karma questions, thoughts?

Postby synapsecollapse » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 pm

the sequencer in the karma is the sequencer in the triton LE, so while technically you could sequence in the same way you sequence the RM1X, you can do that with any workstation. (granted, korg's workstation sequencer is pretty easy to use, but i think the yamaha one's are too once you know what you are doing)

i think the karma engine itself is really neat, but am not sure that in the end its much more than a really fancy arpegiator.

would you be using this to drive other gear, or just for internal sounds?
synapsecollapse

Gear: MS20 Mini, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Postby supermel74 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:54 pm

synapsecollapse wrote:
would you be using this to drive other gear, or just for internal sounds?
I would be using it to drive other gear.
supermel74

Postby shaft9000 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:12 am

if you can swing it, get. karma's are great fun, and i sold mine for more than i paid for it.
everyone should get to play w/ karma for at least a little while. :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby supermel74 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 am

shaft9000 wrote:if you can swing it, get. karma's are great fun, and i sold mine for more than i paid for it.
everyone should get to play w/ karma for at least a little while. :)
that's kind of what I'm thinking. I'm not in a hurry to get one really, but it's on the list of gear I need to at least try. The concept seems great.
supermel74

Postby crystalmsc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:52 am

the benefit of working with Karma sequencer is to use the Karma function and the combi using some karmas set up. that what's unique about it. otherwise the 1st generation or Karma is a bit on the unpredictable side, unless you are using the editor. While on the rm1x, the midi functions knobs are standard. I found that working with midi is more straightforward using the RS7k, while the Karma is more powerful. imho, If you love the RM1x sequencer, it will take some time to get used to as the RM1x is more into Dance/modern music oriented while the Karma is more into broader range/general music type. But as other mentioned, the Karma will get the jobs done and it's quiet a capable sequencer.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 pm

If you like the way the RM1x works and want a keyboard that's similar you should look into one of the Motif family since the sequencer is essentially a superset...patterns, chains, songs, etc....and the synth architecture is the same (with 4 elements instead of 2). I bought a Motif ES after intially looking at the Karma, partly because I thought it sounded much better (YMMV) and could sample.

I couldn't quite get my head around how Karma worked, it is sort of like an arpeggiator with artificial intelligence 8) but that doesn't really completely explain it. You can generate some amazing stuff with it but I just didn't understand how to control it.

The Motif arpeggiator is very sophisticated and unlike the RM1x you can actually take your own sequences and convert them into arpeggio patterns. They needn't be notes, arps can contain just controller data. While in the end Karma is probably more flexible (esp. if you buy the software), the Yamaha arpeggiators are easier to understand and capable of some phenomenal stuff.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Return to Buyer's Guide