How much is an Oberheim OB12 worth nowadays?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: How much is an Oberheim OB12 worth nowadays?

Postby droolmaster0 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 pm

liquidzen wrote:no need to act like a little nancy. as far as the OBMX, yes that is quite the Oberheim Albatross. In fact it's at the shop right now with power supply issues. Does it sound better than the OB12, yes it does... does it work well... not nearly all the time. BUT, Nancy, I never said it was the bomb... you just crafted that on your own. I own an OB8 and a 2 voice... THOSE were what i was speaking about. Talk about jumping the gun. And yes, you can use the synth and get a good idea... the full idea of what it sounds like even if it is buggy, it just sucked when it froze all the time. Man it really sounds like you don't want me to have my own opinion. And I have many VALID reasons to not use the synth... again, what do you not understand about ALL of this being JUST my opinion. At this point I'd like to tell you exactly what you can do with your OB12

Ah, I see it's on to name calling. All in the name of subjectivity. And I don't use these cliches like 'the bomb' and 'beefy', and I don't call people Nancies, and all of this other shit that you talk. Again - only to express your little opinion, while respectfully respecting others. I never said that the ob12 is 'the bomb' for all users. I said that for certain types of use it's a really good synth. You however seem to want to use synths for one particular thing, which is fine. In any case, I think that you can tell pretty much how much I value your opinion, and the way that you express it. Btw - what exactly should I do with my ob12?
droolmaster0

Advertisement:

Postby liquidzen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 pm

dude your ob12 bites... big time... i played yours last night... it is SOOOO not the bomb, it's not even Phat. it smells bad too. you ever heard that song by Johnny Paycheck... it's a country song... It's called Take This Job and Shove It...
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK
liquidzen

Postby droolmaster0 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 pm

liquidzen wrote:dude your ob12 bites... big time... i played yours last night... it is SOOOO not the bomb, it's not even Phat. it smells bad too. you ever heard that song by Johnny Paycheck... it's a country song... It's called Take This Job and Shove It...

A reasoned response, further bolstering your claim that this is 'just' your opinion.
droolmaster0

Postby Joey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:46 pm

The OB12 is quite the oddball...

don't expect anything like the 'oberheim sound' and don't expect a really traditional sounding VA either

it is very very unique, and some people find that a good thing, some don't

people think that because it has the oberheim name it needs to sound a certain way, and even if it may not be a 'real' oberheim, fuck them

it is a great and powerful synth

with its OWN sound.

as for price, there is one on craigslist here in nyc for 6 or 750 (i forget)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby lumanikus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Well theres so much muck to comment on this thread where to start. How about the OP question. I guess they are worth whatever we are willing to pay for them. I like them and i have owned several of the namesakes and sold them as well. Its your instrument, your sound, so you get to decide if its for u.

Take for example the Pro One, man a lot of people just think that's a great mono synth. I got some good sounds out of mine but the quirkiness wasn't for me. DO i bash them? Nope, would i own one again? Nope..n4m.

On to the comments of "just wouldn't pay X amount for one" fair enough not worth it to you. I base my $ decisions on what its worth to me. Sometimes i WOULD pay X amount but alas i just don't have it $$. I have passed on so many ob8 in the past for very little cash because to me they weren't my thing. So unless it was free i didnt see the point in owning one. And i could of made a massive profit because they have gone through the roof in price... Im not one to just amass instruments just to have em. They get played or they go away...

Point is are you a technician or a Musician? If your a musician youll just work around the instruments shortcoming and thous making your own path and sound. Take Jimi for example...
If your a technician your always going to be annoyed about something and focus so much on the instruments shortcoming you simply don't create with it. Tao [-o<
lumanikus

Gear: Oscar, Korg Z1, PodXT

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide