Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:31 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
No wonder moderator behaviour at VSE is laughed at other gear forums.

No wonder I can't stop rolling my eyes whenever I read eggheaded claptrap such as this.

nvbrkr wrote:None of this is at issue here and you're simply just trying to put words into other people's mouths. Nevertheless, If you are willing to deem opportunism as an unavoidable aspect of contemporary form of capitalism, you should be also prepared to accept that people are also going to complain about the various forms of excesses that are observable to them. Of course, the transaction of items at any price that suits either end of the deal isn't in most cases prohibited by the law - there are some instances where overpricing items is actually attempted to be controlled by the state[s] though. However, it is only the outsider reactions to such procedures that can bring forth a change. These reactions will vary from person to person. Some have apparently been also more extreme in their nature (such as the one VSE'er telling the seller to "die"). I am myself mainly protesting against the efforts at suppressing discussion when it's clearly in order.

People having a legal right to do whatever they want with their property is not the issue here. Any action that is carried out in the public will nevertheless grant the right for other people to criticize its consequences on a larger scale. That's how societies and also smaller communities have operated for ages. "Ownership", "transaction" and "consequences" are entirely different things, so don't lump them together based on such a vague basis. My own comments concern only the last two.

Care to elaborate a bit more how the inflation of the bidding prices of synths is a "non-issue" on a synth forum? Also, please use a fair amount of logic in your argumentation this time around.

Nobody here is trying to 'suppress' your discussion, so grow up. I am simply marveling at how people think bitching makes on iota of difference. You are either willing to pay that much or not, that is the only logic to it, no matter how much logorrheic nonsense you slather on top. If people are willing to pay that much, then people should ask that much, and you should get used to the idea that you are going to have to pay that much if you care to own said piece of gear. All of the pawnshops I have ever been to ask far too much for used gear, all music stores I have ever been too ask too much for used gear, etc. In no way do those people "need to face my disdain" when they can simply have said piece of gear sit on the shelf for decades at a time, then they may get the point, but it doesn't matter either way. You are giving people far too much credit if you think they won't ask the maximum amount they can squeeze out without any shame. "Consequences" mean zero to 85% of the population on the internet, and I can tell you that much since the other mods and I spend inordinate amounts of time cleaning up the obvious consequences of people not giving a shit about consequences.

Oh, and just like you can take your observations that people who repeatedly list gear for high prices and put the asshole jacket on them, others can take that same jacket and put it on people on the squeaky wheels. Just like you have the 'right' to criticize, I have the 'right' to believe it's still simply spoiled complaining or petty jealousy disguised with an obscene amount of verbose self justification.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Advertisement:

Postby polar69 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:07 pm

"jacket" "wheels" eh ?

:?
polar69

Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:22 am

Oh jeez, will some mod please just lock this damned thread - this is getting embarrassing for VSE :oops:

I think the point has been argued to extinction, surely I can't be the only one that's thinking this.

enough already...
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby futureworlder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:16 am

Surprisingly enough, noone has taken into consideration the fact that we are all guilty of jacking up the prices on vintage gear, ALL OF US. every single thread about "who used what to create the fart-sound synth brass on Howard Jones' last album" (who cares?), posting samples of FM vs AM modulation, etc. the bottom line is that people can't command a price for something there's no interest in; arguably, they could, but nobody would buy it. right?

The more synth-geeks post to forums like VSE, the more buzz is generated about this shit, and the more demand goes up. the people selling this shit are doing so under the pretenses that people are willing to pay for it because of the "rarity" and such, but the fact of the matter is, if there's enough of something to generate a buzz, chances are there's enough to go 'round; you just have to be patient.

Case in point; people cry about the VCS3 and how it's "rare as hen's teeth" but i personally know about 5(!) producers who each have one and that's just in Brooklyn alone.

The BIN is a means of convenience, and as such, you pay for it. If you want something badly enough, if you're unwilling to wait it out and must have it, then buy it, if not, then STFU about how much it costs. seriously. The exorbitant prices are simply bringing about a need for these devices to be reincarnated or resurrected by cottage industry and I for one think that's fucking awesome.

Here's an idea; instead of bitching and whining about the prices of "vintage" gear, why not take your hard-earned money and support new outfits like AcidLab, AdaFruit, Malekko, Makenoise, or Tom Oberheim, STS, Buchla, etc? Better build quality, better materials, and you won't have to siphon money from your kids' college fund to keep it in good nick. NEWS FLASH; Roland, Korg and Yamaha aren't going to make anymore analog shit, so you might as well support the people who are.

</rant>.
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister
futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Postby space6oy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 am

posted this in the "interesting" thread, but it really belongs here...

space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 pm

space6oy wrote:posted this in the "interesting" thread, but it really belongs here...

Good lord, you'd have to be desperate - oh well, there goes someone's kids' future inheritance :lol:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Roland TR-909 - $5600?!!!

Postby Non-Digital Tom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:05 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Non-Digital Tom

Gear: Chroma, OB-Xa, A6, Minimoog, Octave Cat, Pro One, Mini-Korg, Pro Soloist, Solina SE-IV, RMI 368x, M-101, Baldwin Harpsichord, Mellotron 400D, etc

Re: Roland TR-909 - $5600?!!!

Postby pflosi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:09 pm

that's just ridiculous
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby minime123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 pm

note the cs80 and tr909 auctions ended with no bidder. people can ask what they want, it doesnt mean its gonna sell.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- http://www.123synthland.com (redirects)
minime123

Postby space6oy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 pm

pretty crazy how high this is getting:

space6oy

Postby space6oy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 am

space6oy

Postby cprescott08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Not sure if it is a Ridiculous price for one of these?
But, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

cprescott08

Postby space6oy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 pm

must've just been relisted, Z & sir ruff were joking about it in the other ebay thread.

Sir Ruff wrote:
Z wrote:$75K or Best Offer

Unit has never been restored and is being sold AS-IS without any guarantees or returns.

You think he'll take $75?

I think for that kind of money, you could pay someone, oh... mmm.. $1k? to spend a few days with it to make sure the fucker actually works! Anyways Z, I'll beat your offer.. $750. :lol:
space6oy

Postby Solderman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 pm

High synth prices don't bug me so much anymore. This is actually the only kind of thing that bugs the shit outta me:

That translates to $440 USD for a goddam programmer. Ultra-rare? No power supply? Yep, this officially pisses me off.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), α Juno, Virus b

Postby space6oy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 pm

space6oy

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide