POST ANY INTERESTING EBAY / CRAIGSLIST LISTINGS HERE!!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: POST ANY INTERESTING EBAY / CRAIGSLIST LISTINGS HERE!!!

Postby fh991586 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:36 am

vicd wrote:I've recently had a rather pleasant time hearing a ebay person at a software conference here (...) trying to explain why they had removed the wildcard search...

Would you care to elaborate on that?

The only way I'd be pleased to hear an ebay person would be if he involontarily pooped his pants on stage.
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
-Korg Poly61M, M1R, MicroKorg, Micro, Kaossilator/Pro, Monotron X3
-Yamaha DX7, TX816, TX81Z
-Crumar Performer, DSI Mopho, SCI Prophet 2002
fh991586

Gear: Too much to handle...

Advertisement:

Postby walkathon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Jesus christ... Ebay really want to screw themselves over as much as possible. Whereas before, you could conveniently look at all electronic music equipment in one catch-all category, they've now disseminated it into the "appropriate" categories, e.g., synths are now in "pro audio equipment" and drum machines are in a totally different "drums>electronic percussion" category! It's literally like going back in time. Why do these companies feel the constant need to change what already works perfectly well?!

I guarantee they will not make as many sales this way... how many times were you scrolling through looking for one thing, and happened upon something else? I, for one, cannot be fucked to pick out all these different categories just to browse stuff.

I imagine I'm not the only one this would irritate, so feel free to send them a comment as to how much it sucks!

+1 this ... complete pain in the ass. Sadly, eBay is one monolith that will never, ever, ever go away. :(
walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Postby perfectdefect » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:55 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote: FWIW, I think this is more stupid than interesting. 5 grand, OK, but this? :roll:

Mostly interesting to see the full kit together - but yes, a ridiculous price

Re: eBay::.. my pet theory: eBay's purpose was originally to sell quality/collectible/vintage/antique (desirable secondary market) used items. They were very good at it for a long time because you typed in what you wanted and either found it or not. Then they went public and shareholders demand a growing business so they have to grow. The amount of quality/collectible goods coming on the market increases slightly (decreasing pool of such goods meets increasing % of population online), but not enough to keep pace with shareholder demanded growth (5% at least??). Their response? Give big corporate sellers a price break to add more new stuff to compete with Amazon. Works for a while, but again, growth is slow in this area because Amazon and just about everyone else does new goods much better than eBay. Wave 2 of growth seems to be trying to reposition their categories so they can have big sellers list as much crap as possible beside those desirable secondary market items at a discount, to drive up banner ad views and increase page views and general click through volume (hello google search results - I see you). Now when I type in Honda CB77 in eBay motors I get ~90% unrelated "suggestions" and I have to spend a bunch of time sorting through 1100 items trying to find the relevant 100 items that used to be all that came up, or filterable with the now disabled wildcard. I'd be willing to bet someone has calculated exactly the ratio of filler crap to quality goods their customers will endure. Etsy has eaten into their vintage clothing and household items and reverb.com may have a chance of getting some of their vintage musical instruments if we support them. Synths and Drum Machines used to be a category refreshingly on topic, but you watch, the ratio of vintage synths to covers and power supplies and stands and other new crap you can get cheaper at Guitar Center will go way up.

The other side of that all? If I wanted to liquidate my studio on the quick due to some emergency need for $, I'd put it all on eBay because like it or not, they get the most eyeballs and in most cases the highest sale price...

eBay very likely is a monolith that will never go away.

Did I just type all that??
perfectdefect

Gear: MPC1000 2823 2471 2475 Kingston SX210 MS20 PE1000P Poly61 EPS1 203A 341A 2090 OBXa JP4 JP6 JU6 JU106 MSQ100 TR66 VP330 P5 P600 400 200A CS50 DX7 YC30
Band: infinite now

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:34 pm

perfectdefect wrote:
The other side of that all? If I wanted to liquidate my studio on the quick due to some emergency need for $, I'd put it all on eBay because like it or not, they get the most eyeballs and in most cases the highest sale price...

...at the cost of 10% (final value fees) AND 2.7% (paypal fees)...yeesh

But again, I still end up using ebay 95% of the time I sell stuff. Because its FASTER.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby fh991586 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Also, us few in Canada (or elsewhere outside the USA) don't really like the international transaction fees + brokerage related to selling/buying to the USA through eBay & Paypal...
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
fh991586

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:05 pm

perfectdefect wrote:Did I just type all that??

Yes, apparently you did :) But I think that's a well-informed take on what's happened. Anecdotally, there does seem to be more and more pure retailers trying to sell the same product with a million different listings with only a title change ("power supply for XXX, YYY and ZZZ). That ebay comes up in google is also really irritating--free advertising, even when the product isn't even available.

Well, anyway, maybe this is a good thing. I need any excuse to look at ebay less. It's pretty wallet damaging.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby perfectdefect » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:ebay comes up in google is also really irritating--free advertising, even when the product isn't even available.

Well, anyway, maybe this is a good thing. I need any excuse to look at ebay less. It's pretty wallet damaging.

I was thinking also about how google results now are much more about sending you somewhere to buy something than to give you information. It's 'the most relevant retailer' as response rather than 'the most relevant information'. I'm working on a project now that requires a LOT of web searches and google is nearly useless.

Yeah - I stopped using eBay to find classic motorcycle and car parts when it got too cumbersome. I suppose synths and drums will go that way too. I wish someone would build a 'mom and pop' only 'vintage only' auction site that would gain some traction...

Anyone looked at/have an opinion about reverb.com? Looks good to me, but is at its core a retail site - not unlike Amazon -though they seem to understand the musical instrument vertical. $1000 Juno 60's etc.

Enough off topic from me!
perfectdefect

Gear: MPC1000 2823 2471 2475 Kingston SX210 MS20 PE1000P Poly61 EPS1 203A 341A 2090 OBXa JP4 JP6 JU6 JU106 MSQ100 TR66 VP330 P5 P600 400 200A CS50 DX7 YC30
Band: infinite now

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

perfectdefect wrote:
Ned Bouhalassa wrote: FWIW, I think this is more stupid than interesting. 5 grand, OK, but this? :roll:

Mostly interesting to see the full kit together - but yes, a ridiculous price

Yes but as they say, try finding another one. No question the complete set is rarer than say a Jupiter 8 which has gone up significantly over the last few years... Not to mention the condition this system is in, I agree it's a lot to pay for what it is, but seems someone did just that. :geek:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 am

DEAR LORD SOMEONE BUY THIS

That module in the upper left is a fairly rare detachable drum machine with those great analog flip-flop percussion presets.

symphonytron 8000
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby megamanx » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 am

I actually ran in to that drum machine a couple of months ago at a swapmeet and didn't buy because it had a rare plug to that I didn't really know anything about (if my memory doesn't fail me).
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, leipzig, analog4, t.oberheim sem, Chroma polaris,
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

megamanx wrote:I actually ran in to that drum machine a couple of months ago at a swapmeet and didn't buy because it had a rare plug to that I didn't really know anything about (if my memory doesn't fail me).

Well now you probably know the reason for the plug...it plugs into the keyboard next to it?

I saw the top tier of this setup selling on eBay by itself a while back...I guess I just have a soft spot for early to mid 80s Casiotone...it's not something I'm terribly proud of. I'm still looking for a good deal on a KX-101 if you know what that is (hint...it's my avatar).
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah I love that old Casio stuff too, but hell be proud of that, not often you see stuff that is so crappy that it is actually cool :D
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby supermel74 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Jesus christ... Ebay really want to screw themselves over as much as possible. Whereas before, you could conveniently look at all electronic music equipment in one catch-all category, they've now disseminated it into the "appropriate" categories, e.g., synths are now in "pro audio equipment" and drum machines are in a totally different "drums>electronic percussion" category! It's literally like going back in time. Why do these companies feel the constant need to change what already works perfectly well?!

I guarantee they will not make as many sales this way... how many times were you scrolling through looking for one thing, and happened upon something else? I, for one, cannot be fucked to pick out all these different categories just to browse stuff.

I imagine I'm not the only one this would irritate, so feel free to send them a comment as to how much it sucks!
They totally ruined it. My impulse buys on Ebay are going to be down 99%
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby fh991586 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 am

I can't say it's ridiculous because there is no price listed... But seriously, who can afford all of this?
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et- ... Z527017486

1-EML Electrocomp 200
2-EML Electrocomp 300
3-EML Synkey
4-Ms20 (avec filtre korg35)
5-Maxikorg
6-EWI Steiner Parker ( cv/gate)
7-EWI Steiner Crumar
8-ETI 4600
9-Starkey hearing science laboratory modular
10-SC pro-one
11-Oberheim 4V

Sale or trade
fh991586

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:05 pm

fh991586 wrote:I can't say it's ridiculous because there is no price listed... But seriously, who can afford all of this?
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et- ... Z527017486

1-EML Electrocomp 200
2-EML Electrocomp 300
3-EML Synkey
4-Ms20 (avec filtre korg35)
5-Maxikorg
6-EWI Steiner Parker ( cv/gate)
7-EWI Steiner Crumar
8-ETI 4600
9-Starkey hearing science laboratory modular
10-SC pro-one
11-Oberheim 4V

Sale or trade

Unfortunately, his prices are pretty high. Not quite into the "ridiculous" realm, but definitely the upper end of the spectrum. Also kind of a PIA to deal with if attempting any sort of trade (lots of waffling about prices).
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide