Akai AX60

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Akai AX60

Postby themilford » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:17 am

Caps done and shipped.

Thanks to those the ordered them and waited patiently as guinea pigs.

I can now make them much more quickly now that I have all the templates, bits and jigs made up and sorted out.

I'll post pics soon.
Last edited by themilford on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Advertisement:

Postby urgetoplay » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Recieved mine the other day but haven't had time to install them. They look beautiful :)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby kaeth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Took a little while since it was the first run, but it was well worth the wait. Mine are walnut with a satin tung-oil finish. They look fantastic! The woodwork is incredibly precise, and there is not a single flaw or rough spot on them. They fit nice and snug, and feel a lot more sturdy than the original plastic caps. Mine are thicker than the ones pictured, and I have no problem using them as handles to pick up the synth. Themilford is also a great guy to deal with. He sent progress updates, and always responded quickly. For work of this quality, the price was more than fair as well. Thanks a ton.

I'll try to post pictures if I can find my camera, but it doesn't take the best quality pictures to begin with.
kaeth

Postby themilford » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks guys... Maybe I'll figure a way to post the pics today that I took before I sent them out.

Just a note. The "maple" ones are made from reclaimed 100-ish-year-old hardwood... probably maple. The color is a little uneven because the old varnish or just the age of the wood had added a patina that had penetrated so deeply that I couldn't really remove it... that's why they are slightly deeper in color on the faces. I hope this is ok. I tried to add a little tint to the sides to even it out but after it was all done I really liked the look. If you want me to ever refinish these just send them back and I can give them another round of tint and oil... But over time they may even out more. 100-year-old wood... Cool.

As far as keeping them looking nice. I suggest SC Johnson's Paste Wax... which yours' has a fine coat of already. If you ever decide to refinish you'l just need to remove this wax with mineral spirits then wipe down with Denatured alcohol. This goes for either walnut or maple ones.

Working on some modern looking Baltic birch plywood and some Ipe ones... Need to get more walnut as they look stunning.

Cheers!
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Just bought an AX60 from Z! :keys1:

One question about coupling it with the Akai S-612. Looking at the AX60 manual, it seems like there aren't any advantages to using the S-612 over any other sampler. Basically the AX60 triggers the sampler, the audio of which is fed into the AX60. So, unless I'm going for period-correctness, I can just use any sampler--or any other sound source for that matter.

Can someone confirm or correct that?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Z » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 am

I can't confirm this since I've never tried it, but I think you can run S612, S700, S900 and X7000 through the AX60's VCF & VCA (along with the AX60's VCOs) provided you have the rare 13 pin DIN cable to interface the synth and sampler.

The manual only mentions the S612 since it was their only sampler at the time the AX60 was made.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon May 09, 2011 2:32 am

Ah OK, that makes sense. I didn't know about the oddball 13-pin jack. I found a pic of it:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rScBRKlTdoE/S ... SQ~~_3.JPG
Hm, I wonder if it would be easy to replace that with a normal audio jack...
Milford, want to come over and mod my AX60 when I get it? :lol:
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby urgetoplay » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm

check on line for 13 pin cables AX60. There's someone in florida who still sells them,posts on ebay often.That's where I bought mine.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby themilford » Thu May 12, 2011 11:03 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Ah OK, that makes sense. I didn't know about the oddball 13-pin jack. I found a pic of it:

I found my cable on eBay... my s612 don't worky quite right and honestly I'm not sure I care to try to fix it.

What's a broken S612 worth anyway? I have a ton of discs too. It works sorta, but the sounds load out of sync so there is all this weird clunking noise at the beginning and end of the loop and some sounds won't load at all. It definitely needs a new belt and some adjustment... if it's an easy fix I might keep it... but I have other priorities right now.

You are welcome to my cable if you by me a beer. ;) You around the hood tonight? I gots practice tonight and might consider a beer after at Lock-In or at Pumps if you'd rather hit the strip club. ;)
themilford

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 am

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Ah OK, that makes sense. I didn't know about the oddball 13-pin jack. I found a pic of it:

I found my cable on eBay... my s612 don't worky quite right and honestly I'm not sure I care to try to fix it.

What's a broken S612 worth anyway? I have a ton of discs too. It works sorta, but the sounds load out of sync so there is all this weird clunking noise at the beginning and end of the loop and some sounds won't load at all. It definitely needs a new belt and some adjustment... if it's an easy fix I might keep it... but I have other priorities right now.

You are welcome to my cable if you by me a beer. ;) You around the hood tonight? I gots practice tonight and might consider a beer after at Lock-In or at Pumps if you'd rather hit the strip club. ;)

Hey there! I've moved--to your part of Brooklyn, I think. I'm in Prospect Heights now. I might take a rain check on the cable though! And I might have to get some of the wood cheeks if you're still making them... :idea:
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Nannerfan » Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 am

Any 13 pin Roland cable for their guitar synths will work
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby themilford » Sun May 15, 2011 4:38 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Hey there! I've moved--to your part of Brooklyn, I think. I'm in Prospect Heights now. I might take a rain check on the cable though! And I might have to get some of the wood cheeks if you're still making them... :idea:

I'm in Sunset Park... a bit south of Park Slope. How's the new pad? Your last place was pretty awesome; Spacious and lofty. How are you enjoying the AX-60 anyway?

BTW: I'm in the process of making three more sets of walnut panels. I'll be posting info over in the sales section.
Here's the last set I made for Kaeth:
themilford

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun May 15, 2011 9:07 pm

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Hey there! I've moved--to your part of Brooklyn, I think. I'm in Prospect Heights now. I might take a rain check on the cable though! And I might have to get some of the wood cheeks if you're still making them... :idea:

I'm in Sunset Park... a bit south of Park Slope. How's the new pad? Your last place was pretty awesome; Spacious and lofty. How are you enjoying the AX-60 anyway?

My new place is smaller. I decided to get a smaller pad with a separate painting studio. But my apartment has 2 bedrooms and I use one as a music studio so I'm happy.

I'm really loving the AX60. Thanks for recommending it. I was expecting something like a Juno 106 with an angrier filter but it goes well beyond that. It's a great choice for someone like me who likes VCOs but the digital convenience of MIDI and memory.

Those cheeks look nice! You'll probably hear from me soon about them...
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon May 16, 2011 5:09 am

So it just occurred to me: The 13 pin connector is probably used to feed each of the 6 voices to each of the 6 filters for the AX60's 6 oscillators. Can anyone confirm that?

If that's the case, I wonder if a 1/4" to 13 pin converter would be possible so you can use other samplers--or other sound sources. Does anyone have a schematic?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby tIB » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm

The 13 pin plug is the same as kenwood use on their car stereo leads: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-13-PIN-3- ... 3a60cd1c54

Have one for my AX73/S900 combo.
tIB

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide