Akai AX60

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Akai AX60

Postby GuyaGuy » Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 am

tIB wrote:The 13 pin plug is the same as kenwood use on their car stereo leads: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-13-PIN-3- ... 3a60cd1c54

Have one for my AX73/S900 combo.

Interesting. The one you use is 13 pin on both ends, presumably. But I could use that with any sound source into the AX60 for paraphonic tones...Hmm...
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Advertisement:

Postby themilford » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
tIB wrote:The 13 pin plug is the same as kenwood use on their car stereo leads: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-13-PIN-3- ... 3a60cd1c54

Interesting. The one you use is 13 pin on both ends, presumably. But I could use that with any sound source into the AX60 for paraphonic tones...Hmm...

Wonder how a hexaphonic guitar pickup might work with this?
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Postby tIB » Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

Wonder how a hexaphonic guitar pickup might work with this?

Ive no idea how the interfacing works, you could always look for a diagram of the pin layout: service manual might have that info.

I do have a bit of experience in trying to get stuff into another akai synth via its din connector: control voltage into an EWV2000. It was pretty much what you would expect bar some quirks so it might be that straightforward. Either way a service manual would probably help.
tIB

Postby kaeth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 am

I got one of the 13pin-to-audio kenwood cables for the purposes of testing out (other non-S612) audio sources with the filter. Can anyone else attest to this working properly? Here's my experience.

For continuous audio tracks, drum tracks, etc: Works fine, but I got a noticeable noise floor. There is no infinite envelope on the AX-60. Even at it's slowest setting it still starts to taper off the volume after 10 seconds or so, so you either need to hold a key down, or set a fast attack/slow release VCA and turn on the arpeggiator. Not a big deal.

To play/filter another synthesizer: Obviously I had to use the 13pin cable as well as a MIDI cable for anything other than an S612. For this, I got a very high noise floor, but it works. I needed to set the "sampler" fader all the way to "B" so there was no internal AX-60 VCO audible.

To use another synthesizer as a second oscillator: This is where I had some major issues. Still a very high noise floor, and there's something about having audio coming through the 13pin cable that makes the internal oscillators behave very strangely. Volume seems to change randomly from key to key. There is a distortion in both the incoming audio and AX-60 oscillators, so that neither sound very clear. Adjusting the volume on the second synth seemed to change this effect a little, but not correct it. It basically became unusable with the "sampler" fader anywhere other than all the way down to "B".

Does anyone know what the pinout is? Maybe modifying the cable itself by breaking/clipping all of the "extra" pins save the R/L audio and grounds would solve some of the problems. Maybe the audio and ground pins are different in the Kenwood cable too. Maybe rerouting the lugs inside the AX-60 connecting the 13pin jack to 1/4" jacks elsewhere would work better. I'm competent at soldering, but I wouldn't know where to solder the jacks to. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks.
kaeth

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:54 am

kaeth wrote:I got one of the 13pin-to-audio kenwood cables for the purposes of testing out (other non-S612) audio sources with the filter. Can anyone else attest to this working properly? Here's my experience.

Interesting...How did you rig that? Cut off the connector and hardwire new 1/4" ends?
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 am

Oh and FWIW, I'll have an X7000 on the way to me shortly. I got it fairly cheaply--and paid $40 for 3 yrs insurance that includes shipping both ways in the event of repairs. Should be fun!
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby kaeth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
kaeth wrote:I got one of the 13pin-to-audio kenwood cables for the purposes of testing out (other non-S612) audio sources with the filter. Can anyone else attest to this working properly? Here's my experience.

Interesting...How did you rig that? Cut off the connector and hardwire new 1/4" ends?

Got it on ebay. One end was 13pin, the other end was stereo 1/8". I had to use an 1/8" coupler, and then a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono cable.
kaeth

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:49 am

kaeth wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

Got it on ebay. One end was 13pin, the other end was stereo 1/8". I had to use an 1/8" coupler, and then a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono cable.

Oh right, the one posted earlier. I wonder if the noise is from Kenwood using different pins for ground than Akai did.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby kingink » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 pm

i have a non-working akai ax 60 and if any of you need slider caps that own an ax 60 you should let me know. I'm hoping to buy a working one this year. i would prefer an ax 80 but they seem to go for much more any time i find them.
kingink

Postby themilford » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 am

kingink wrote:i have a non-working akai ax 60 and if any of you need slider caps that own an ax 60 you should let me know. I'm hoping to buy a working one this year. i would prefer an ax 80 but they seem to go for much more any time i find them.

wanna sell it cheap? Not so much for me but so I can send a donar to the Kiwi guy and maybe get him started working on some os uprades and mods. If so, it would be nice to get a few folks to chip in on this.

I imagine a few software code hacks might get us chord memory, voice stacks, as well as some others...
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:44 am

:dancer:
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby themilford » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Damn those look sweet! I was gonna ask how they worked out for you. Thanks for the pics!

I'm torn as to if I should use this last set I have for my AX-60 or sell them.
themilford

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:12 am

themilford wrote:Damn those look sweet! I was gonna ask how they worked out for you. Thanks for the pics!

I'm torn as to if I should use this last set I have for my AX-60 or sell them.

They really do class up the joint! You don't have them on yours? Keep those suckers!

I ended up passing on the X7000 because the drive wasn't working. I didn't want to take the risk and I don't have space for another keyboard anyhow! BUT I got an S900 in today. I need to make a trip to Best Buy for some floppy disks tomorrow to test it out...
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide