yamaha dx200 tell me about it

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: yamaha dx200 tell me about it

Postby gordwiebe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 pm

I don't think either my AN or DX skips... but, I've never really bothered to use the internal sequencer on them much (aka: the sequencer stinks).
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Advertisement:

Postby computron » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm

gordwiebe wrote:I don't think either my AN or DX skips... but, I've never really bothered to use the internal sequencer on them much (aka: the sequencer stinks).

if it does not does not skip the first note with a with external seq then I just may grab one in the near future. I like the sounds on the AN and there cheap thats doubble good..
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Postby Villi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Mine does not skip using an external sequencer. It does not skip any notes with the internal either, however I've never really chained any patterns on it, so if it does it in song mode I wouldn't know.
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby gordwiebe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:34 am

oh yeah, absolutely no problems with an external sequencer... grab one!
I love the AN sound/engine (I've got both the AN1X and AN200, and 1 voice in my EX5R!). The AN200 is a great box to fiddle around with - it can be as smooth as you want or as aggressive (the internal distortions/overdrives can really bite into the waveforms and give you some nasty good sounds).
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby novielo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:28 pm

computron wrote:
felis wrote:
computron wrote:

... I heard that both these units SKIP the frist note of a sequence and jump to the second when changing threw them it starts on the second note.Is this true about them or myth ? They say no op was made to fix this ?

I had both the AN200 and the DX200 and neither of mine ever did that. I heard a lot of complaints about it though.
Only thing I didn't care for - like others have said, you need a computer to get at all the editing parameters

Does one realy have one of these that does this note skip ? Or is this a synth myth? heresay ??? This why I keep passing up a AN in my setup.Any solid info on this would be appreacited :D

well, seems like i'm the only one... my units did SKIP the first note. it's why i sold it, because i usualy record live and i always had that annoying skipping note. from pattern to pattern or song to song.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes
novielo

Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band

Postby Dano » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

I had read somewhere that the skipped first note of the sequence only happened in unison mode (4 voice on the DX200). I might have to test this out on mine to see if that's the case or not.
Dano

Postby computron » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 am

Does one realy have one of these that does this note skip ? Or is this a synth myth? heresay ??? This why I keep passing up a AN in my setup.Any solid info on this would be appreacited :D[/quote]

well, seems like i'm the only one... my units did SKIP the first note. it's why i sold it, because i usualy record live and i always had that annoying skipping note. from pattern to pattern or song to song.[/quote]

Now i wonder if this is all units or just some? I dont care if it skips in song mode but i deff do in pattern or unision mode just when I thought it was hersay I get some conformation thanks !!
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Postby novielo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 pm

mine was doing it with pattern. it's the mode i used the most while recording it and not necessary in unison.

it just didn't flow from pattern to patern, even with similar settings of the synth engine.

i remember that i did upgrade the os, but i can't remember from which to which. but it was doing so even after the update.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes
novielo

Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band

Postby ianjhicks » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm

does anyone know if the dx200 is compatible with dx7 editors like dx librarian... or has anyone figured out how to run the dx200 editor on OS X?
ianjhicks

Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Postby bigbadbarns » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am

Weird. I have never heard anyone say their's didn't skip. I just thought it was a universal problem. I've owned two AN-200s and a DX-200, all skipped the first note when you change patterns on the onboard sequencer. There's (obviously) no problem if you're using an external sequencer.

The AN-200 is awesome. The DX-200 sounded awesome, but I never took the time to learn FM synthesis properly, which is a shame.
bigbadbarns

Postby bigbadbarns » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am

Oh, and yeah - it skips regardless of whether you're in pattern or song mode.
bigbadbarns

Postby replicalex » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 pm

yep mine skipped too. I always thought it was a universal well documented bug... :?

I recently sold mine (nothing to do with the skipping issue)
it does sound great however and is a lot fun to play with.
replicalex

Gear: SCI: Pro One / Multitrak
Korg: MonoPoly / EX8000
Roland: Sh101 / Jupiter 6
Oberheim: Xpander / DX
Waldorf: microWave 1 / XT
AS: Semblance

Postby SWAN » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 pm

has the OP considered a TX7 as a cheaper alternative that can be used with any DX7 editor?

Is there many benefits to paying £200 for a DX200 over £50 for a TX7?
SWAN

Postby Villi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:30 am

Well I'm not very familiar with the TX7, so forgive me if it has any of this:

Multimode filter, effects and distortion, knobs, scenes/scene morphing, free egs, sequencer, rhythm parts, noise osc, unison mode, mono mode, portamento, built in one octave "keyboard", better looks ;).
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide