Akai VX90/AX73

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Akai VX90/AX73

Postby aredj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Im picking up a VX90 on the cheap in a couple days - I could never deal with the huge keyboard ax73 so the fact that I can have this board in a rack is cool...

Now, I assumed there could be some midi editing capabilities on this machine - but poking around reveals that this is not the case (its no deal breaker, I can deal either way..)

So can I have some confirmation on this from the collective of experienced users here...?

Any other tips/qualms/opinions/stories on this board? :happy3:
aredj

Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Advertisement:

Re: Akia VX90/AX73

Postby Z » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I owned one for a bit in the early 90's. Programming it from the front panel is not very difficult.

I wouldn't mind getting another one. After suggesting the AX60 (the first "real" synth I ever bought in the late 80's and sold in mid 90's) to n00bs, I've become a little reminescent of the old Akai synths, but I don't really have the space for more keyboards.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby druzz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:59 pm

you cant control the AX73 parameters with cc ( or anything else ) from midi on the ax73. if you can do it with the vx90 , i would like to kknow

one thing i noticed with the ax73 is an annoying high pitched background sound . i noticed it on two different machines so i guess its common or maybe there all like that now. (i'm not refeering to the background noise from the chorus ). did anyboby else notice this ? i wonder if the VX90 has this problem
druzz

Band: November's Ego

Postby aredj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Well I guess I'll find out soon...
Pity about the external control...
Still, something so comparable to a Juno 6/106 in a rack is still worth it to me...

any comments on the VCO..? or DCO? I imagine its digitally stabilized or something ya?
aredj

Spectralis2!

Postby Z » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:07 pm

aredj wrote:
any comments on the VCO..? or DCO? I imagine its digitally stabilized or something ya?

Just like the AX60: although it's VCO, it's extremely stable. Same raw & nasty filter as the AX60.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby aredj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Off Topic
Buyers guide? I already bought it... Im talking about midi specs and general info... how is this not generalsynth talk?
aredj

Spectralis2!

Postby braincandy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 pm

aredj wrote:
Off Topic
Buyers guide? I already bought it... Im talking about midi specs and general info... how is this not generalsynth talk?

The questions you posed in your original post are along the lines of questions people ask when they're buying gear (and it's not in your possession yet, correct?). They can be helpful for others considering buying a VX90.

Just keep in mind that when posts are moved, it's sometimes a judgement call and it's not personal.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby aredj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Fair enough.. more curious than quirked...
aredj

Spectralis2!

Postby burnt toast » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:37 pm

i have an akai ax73 and i quite like it, its 6 socketed chips in there for 6 voices etc... dont think its a VCO synth but i havent looked that closely. its got a nice sound to it and a quirky filter - its very harsh and flips into fizzy resonance around 38-40 on the slider. not sure how i feel about it, bit of a shame that it flips over so quickly but its still capable of making some nice sounds.

the envelopes are ok on it, editing is fine, unison is great fun :)

im sure you'll enjoy it!

cheers

(hello to anyone who remebers me from a few years ago, nice new site eh)
burnt toast

Return to Buyer's Guide