Roland JX8P advise

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Roland JX8P advise

Postby D-Collector » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm

In the case of JX-8P, first press the keys normally, then put an anvil on the keyboard and listen for changes in the sound.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby Scottf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Image This is sellers modified editor software for the enviroment of Logic 9. Notice the PW/PWM. However it seems original editor's tuning capabiltys are lost.
Scottf

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:28 am

Plug the synth into a MIDI interface and check the incoming MIDI to see if aftertouch is working either by looking at the LED's on the MIDI interface or the data coming in...or of course make a sound with aftertouch and route the after touch to something like the filter cutoff
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby Scottf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:55 am

Thanks vinyl_junkie, might need that info.

BTW that screen grab ended up being incorrect editor/ for different synth. I get the whole "PW" and "lack of PWM" now!
Scottf

Postby D-Collector » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

There is a virtual PG-800 DOS and Windows. I have tried it before and it works great. Look here:

http://www.synthzone.com/mschreier/
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ryryoftokyo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Just got a JX8P a few months back...Known issues with them is the aftertouch being nearly useless unless an insane amount of force is applied and it's cranked. This can be fixed by cleaning. I've hear of a few people complaining of stuck keys, but for a 25 year old synth, that's bound to happen.

I use mine without the PG, and though I would prefer it, it's not a deal breaker...I've never had an issue with MIDI either.

As far as the sounds and programming, the sounds are all over the place. You can do weird FX/Drone, lush pads, EPs, thick basses, MASSIVE leads, and great brass. In terms of sound, you can make it whisper quiet or just as impossible to stick in the mix as any memory moog. Programming is fairly straight forward, if not a menu dive, but in comparison to other synths I've had to menu dive on (Alesis Micron), it's a breeze.

There's a lot you can do with modulation like x-mod, two sync types, and a nice LFO section. Filter is nice and warm. Oscillators are a little on the harsh side and have a digital quality to them, but still resemble analog oscillators. You can route the two EGs to volume, filter, and pitch, which is a nice thing to have on such a cheap synth. Quick access to the portamento time which gives you the ability to play with that during performance for dramatic slides.

Lots of play modes too. 2x single poly mode (2 osc per voice) 2x unison modes (4 osc per voice) and 2x solo (or mono) modes, one being 2 osc mono or 12 osc mono.

All in all, I got mine for free, but if I had to pay for it, I would gladly shell out...this thing is great. One of those underrated synths that people ignore because they're not knob laden or being slobbered on by some famous artist.
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Postby Scottf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Cheers for that ryryoftokyo!
Scottf

Postby Rayek » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:31 am

I was also slightly interested in one of these. Although less frequently, I've seen the JX8P and the PG-800 go for about the same as a Juno 6, maybe less, so which would be better? Of course, with the JX8P I could just buy the thing for 300 and worry about the PG-800 later, if I wanted.
Rayek

Gear: Korg DW-8000
Roland JX-3P
Eowave Domino
Roland MC-500
Roland MC "Junkbox" 303
Sony Walkman, a.k.a 'Skippy'
Band: J.J. See, DUMPSTERAC1D

Postby mharris80 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:36 pm

JX8P owner here. There is indeed no PWM, though Sound on Sound has an article featuring a workaround using the crossmod. I'm convinced that a lot of those people who leave comments on VSE have never really used the boards they're commenting on. For programming, I use a Behringer BCR2000. They go for about $149 new, and if you join the BCR Yahoo group, there's a virtual PG that someone uploaded that works great. It even has an aftertouch encoder programmed in. You turn the encoder clockwise, and whatever the aftertouch button is set to, you'll get that mod by simply pressing the keys. As Ninja says, it does have some pretty decent presets, especially the "Soundtrack" one. And "Stab Brass", if you're in an '80s Butt Rock cover band and want to do "The Final Countdown". :lol: Great synth for the money. I got mine for $250 and don't regret buying it a bit.
mharris80

Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Scott, you've gotten some good feedback on the jx8p here, but in that price range, if this is your first synth, I'd advise you to look around at other options too like the dw8000, esq-1, matrix-6 and also newer ones like the korg MS2000, alesis ion, etc... I would personally pick any of these over the 8p which is kind of a class A example of "boring" and redundant in my book. I would also definitely go for something with knobs, just to make the whole learning process easier and fun (VAs are perfect for this and are about the same price. They also will offer more in the long run programming-wise)
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Scottf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Well I know of one going real cheap and I'm impressed at the character of it's sound but then it seems lacking a few features for my "step up" as I've just acquired a Juno 106. I just have some spare cash, nothing huge and thought something with a few more features than the Juno, would compliment the Juno's sound....

Thanks for advise, I'm really not gone on the VA sound from brief investigation...
Scottf

Postby computron » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I just happen to have a jx8p on the way as a part trade for a synth i sold .How is that behringer?
Last edited by computron on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Postby mharris80 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 am

computron wrote:How is that behringer?

No complaints here. The unit will actually do a hell of a lot more than Behringer lets on. Each encoder can be programmed to send either SYS-EX, control changes, or NRPN, plus it has a learn mode that actually works. (What a concept! :D ) So far, I've used it for the JX, MKS50, MicroKorg, and a couple softsynths as well. Having both USB and MIDI jacks is quite handy. The Yahoo group dedicated to it is an invaluable resource. They have a section of downloads from which I got the virtual PG. They've also got a program called BC Manager, which is what I use to program the BC with, though simple CC's can be programmed on the unit itself. All in all, it's definitely worth picking up, especially when the price is taken into consideration.
mharris80

Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby Pro5 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:01 am

The BCR works fine with the 8P (and 3P with the mod). Been using mine with them for years.

8P is not an 'only' synth, especially if you want hands on fun and some proper analog goodness but it has it's own place and as said above can do quite a lot of things, it excells at pads and can do decent smooth leads etc (mainly due to it's features like solo/portamento more than it's intrinsic sound quality - it's no moog!).

I also love using it as my main controller for Pianos (TG500/VSTs etc) as it just feels better for that than anything else I've owned, obviously I'm talking about a bonus here, if you want proper piano action you buy a proper weighted piano controller, or a piano.

Aftertouch isn't too hard to fix if you are good with a screwdriver, mine works perfectly now, the 'elephant touch' jokes are completely wrong ONCE you clean it (and check the resistor is OK), I merely cleaned mine and it's very easy to trigger. Obviously they were already starting to oxidize early on in life so rumor got around that the A-touch was more like after-punch but as I said I'm very happy with the AT on mine, best AT I have in fact. not sure about all this 'hooking up midi' to test it, just turn the synth on, select a preset string patch (soundtrack!) and turn A-touch on (brightness/vibrator) play a chord then press harder to modulate etc... you may find it's not even across the keys but it's not a major problem, if you don't know how to test you probably won't use it anyway, it's not like dodgy velocity.

So cheap it's a no brainer to at least buy n try, sell it on if you don't like it. :mrgreen:
V-SYNTH | AN1x | JX-3P | JD-800 | POLYSIX
HAD: SH101/D-50/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS50/JX8P/JV1080/AX80/SY77/DX100/DX7 MK1,IID,S/TG77/TX802/TX81Z/SY85/TG-500/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/D70/KS-RACK/CZ1/CRUMAR PERFORMER
Pro5

Gear: V-SYNTH | AN1x | JX-3P | JD-800

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide