Anyone need a MIDI to SYNC24 interface?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Anyone need a MIDI to SYNC24 interface?

Postby Synthead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I'm guessing that if you feed it anything other than pure clock, it sh*ts the bed. To do it properly you'd need to extract clock pulses, start, stop and continue from your MIDI - which would either require more circuitry, or a processor of some kind. I can't make out what chips you've got in there... so if you are using something programmable already, ignore me! :D

The converter is built around Colin Fraser's excellent m2d2m source code (found here), which was compiled and programmed to a PIC12F629 microchip. So yeah, it decodes the MIDI stream and listens exclusively for the start/stop/continue codes :)

You know, I think I'm just gonna build a few and throw them up online. I'll post links when I have something to sell.
Synthead

Gear: SCI Pro-One
Roland Juno-106
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Casio VL-TONE
Roland TR-606
Roland MC-505
Korg Electribe ESX-1
BOSS DD-220E
Roland MC-500
Band: Maxwell and the Transistors

Advertisement:

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Ah right, I wondered if it might be something like that.

Good luck with the sales. I've made a few bits and pieces for people, but now I only do it if someone's got very particular requirements - bulk making something yourself in that "lo-fi" DIY way is too time-consuming to be profitable.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Synthead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Yeah, it's best to just get boards printed, or even better, already made. I just wanna kill some time and make a couple bucks while I'm at it. I probably won't sell more than 10 or so, I think.
Synthead

Roland Juno-106
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Casio VL-TONE
Roland TR-606
Roland MC-505
Korg Electribe ESX-1
BOSS DD-220E
Roland MC-500

Postby Forax » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:08 am

Add a pot for shuffle to distinguish your product from most of the others out there.. I'd probably buy one then.
Forax

Postby Synthead » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

On second thought, it's not really worth the time. It'll take about one or two hours to make one, and if I make an extra 10 or 20 bucks out of the deal, I just worked for about 15 dollars an hour. I was excited about my project when I started it, but, you know.

What said, if any of you wanted to trade some unique and inexpensive piece of gear for one, like a pedal, we can chat :)
Synthead

Roland Juno-106
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Casio VL-TONE
Roland TR-606
Roland MC-505
Korg Electribe ESX-1
BOSS DD-220E
Roland MC-500

Previous