Arturia Origin Fail/Arturia Fail

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Arturia Origin Fail/Arturia Fail

Postby mmp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I also posted this on another synth forum, please excuse the redundancy if you already saw it.

My Origin rack had a long time issue of not booting until the second power cycle, which seems to be a pretty common condition.

In May 2013, it stopped booting at all and I started conversing with Arturia tech support by their email system. After a number of weeks they had me try a procedure to reprogram something in the USB interface, but that didn't help my unit regain functionality. This was the end of June 2013.

I started trying to get an RMA number with weekly emails so I could ship the unit for repair, but because of it being summertime and long holidays in France, I didn't get the RMA until two months later at the very end of August. The unit was received by the US distributor in October.

After hearing nothing for two months, I got worried that the package might have been misplaced, so I contacted the US distributor in December and found it had indeed been delivered to Arturia US. I was also told in a December email that if the US office couldn't repair it, I would get a replacement.

I began sending weekly inquiries about the status of the instrument and didn't get any replies for six weeks, until today, Feb 7, 2014. I was told in an email that my synth will be shipped to France "next week" for repair as the US office couldn't fix it. It took them nearly four months for this determination...and apparently no promised replacement unit.

I have to say this is the worst experience I have ever had in 40 years of dealing with music equipment manufacturers. I have some sympathy for the fact the company must be growing rapidly, but they really have no viable support system for their customers. No published phone number on their website. All support channelled through email. Average response time by email has been 4-6 weeks.

Please consider this story when attracted by the low prices of their new hardware, support is a corner being cut by Arturia.

Unfortunately, my Origin wasn't low priced at all. It was priced like a synth that might be used in a professional environment. I guess I was silly to expect a professional level of support.

Anyhow, as always, buyer beware.

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com
mmp

Gear: VS VL-1 Varios Andromeda Voyager Prophecy Odyssey SY-2 Kronos Fizmo Virus 2600 Vostok PS3100 MaxiKorg Z1 Chroma A4 XT Blofeld Omega8 Liberation k5K-R

Advertisement:

Re: Arturia Origin Fail/Arturia Fail

Postby adekoyote » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 pm

WOW. I am sorry to hear that.
adekoyote

Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Postby mmp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:59 am

i got an email today saying they are shipping me a new synth.

I really hope this is real, but I kind of have this little voice saying "your check is in the mail" ringing in the back of my head.
www.mm-pro.com
mmp

Gear: VS VL-1 Varios Andromeda Voyager Prophecy Odyssey SY-2 Kronos Fizmo Virus 2600 Vostok PS3100 MaxiKorg Z1 Chroma A4 XT Blofeld Omega8 Liberation k5K-R

Postby mmp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 pm

New synth arrives today.

Issue resolved. Over & out.
www.mm-pro.com
mmp

Return to Buyer's Guide