FRAUD ALERT: Yamaha CS-80 on ebay

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

FRAUD ALERT: Yamaha CS-80 on ebay

Postby panther » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Fairly obvious fraud. Zero-feedback seller using pictures from another listing. Random other high dollar items for sale.

Current Listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-CS-80-cs ... 2335c0bb10

Original listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-CS-80- ... 7675.l2557
panther

Advertisement:

Re: FRAUD ALERT: Yamaha CS-80 on ebay

Postby Bitexion » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Wondering, if I wanted to sell my modular system, I make a new account on eBay cos I've never sold anything there before. Would I be labeled as a fraud instantly?
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:28 pm

It´s a fraud. The instrument shown was originally sold a couple of months ago. It was located in South Africa (which seemed a bit fishy but the seller was legit, and very kind to deal with as well). This CS80 found a new home in the Netherlands.

If not only the pictures but also the description have been lifted from another auction, fraud seems to be a safe bet.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Z » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Not sure how long ago they started doing this (they didn't do it 10+ years ago when I first signed up for eBay), but eBay/PayPal holds funds for sales by new members until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

There should be little to no risk bidding on that listing. However, since the photos and description were lifted form another listing and the "seller" has other high-dollar items listed for sale is very suspicious.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 pm

alot of synth sales on ebay feature descriptions lifted directly from VSE
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby synthparts » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 am

Anyone who would bid on a CS80 or other very expensive synth from a 0-feedbacker ain't right in the head...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby Solderman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

The nonchalant brevity of the "original owner" description, along with the use of "keyboardinstrument" and "studioinstrument" are enough to not only alude suspicion, but that this is an amateur attempt at fraud, as well. I wonder if people actually go to jail for this kind of nitwit behavior.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b

Postby Bitexion » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 am

But how does one acquire feedbacks if one never used ebay before? I've been thinking of selling my modular, but have no idea..is ebay simply off-limits since I have not 1273 positive feedbacks? How would I possibly be able to sell anything?

Do I have to "grind" feedback by buying cheap shit for ages?
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Z » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:17 am

Bitexion wrote:But how does one acquire feedbacks if one never used ebay before? I've been thinking of selling my modular, but have no idea..is ebay simply off-limits since I have not 1273 positive feedbacks? How would I possibly be able to sell anything?

Pretty much. Since just about everything you can think of is for sale on eBay, next few times you need to buy personal electronics, books, CDs (fuck iTunes, I want to hold something in my hand) or whatever, buy them on eBay. Get your rating up to 5 or 10 - something showing that you've been around a little bit and have no intention of leaving any time soon.

None of my business, but REALLY, you've never bought anything on eBay in the past 15+ years it's been a forefront online marketplace?
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby phesago » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 am

If youre going to sell your modular on ebay without any seller feedback, sell the cheap modules first(to build up rep). Try and sell some more cheap stuff too. When u have no feedback, its a bitch to sell at a reasonable price.
Time for updates: pro-1 x2, Xpander, 808, mopho, SEM, PolyE, Voyager, Fr-Revo x2, XS, DRM MK3, KP3x2, mf104z x2, mf105m, mf103, space/time-factor, t3, nord g1..(plus other effects/sequencers/samplers and other shit).
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby Solderman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 am

Bitexion wrote:Do I have to "grind" feedback by buying cheap shit for ages?

I met this stipulation by buying alot of vinyl and paying for it immediately, myself. But yeah, any sort of regular exchanges will do.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 am

Solderman wrote:The nonchalant brevity of the "original owner" description, along with the use of "keyboardinstrument" and "studioinstrument" are enough to not only alude suspicion, but that this is an amateur attempt at fraud, as well. I wonder if people actually go to jail for this kind of nitwit behavior.

In fact, these hideously Teutonic bits were lifted directly from the original auction (which was legit), even down to the same serial number (which was 1266).

Let´s wait and see how eBay will proceed (or not).

@Bitexion: It must be pretty naive to try and sell something like a CS80 as a first-time auction, if it were legit. This would automatically raise an eyebrow or two, especially if questions could not be answered satisfyingly.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby panther » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 am

I received a call from the seller and based on the background he gave, I believe this is a fraud. He represented that he has the instrument and it was given to him by the seller from the original instrument in lieu of money owed to him. He offered to seller it but knows nothing about it. Apparently others have contacted him as well regarding the providence of the instrument.

Caveat emptor
panther

Postby mute » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 am

Z wrote:
Bitexion wrote:But how does one acquire feedbacks if one never used ebay before? I've been thinking of selling my modular, but have no idea..is ebay simply off-limits since I have not 1273 positive feedbacks? How would I possibly be able to sell anything?

Pretty much. Since just about everything you can think of is for sale on eBay, next few times you need to buy personal electronics, books, CDs (fuck iTunes, I want to hold something in my hand) or whatever, buy them on eBay. Get your rating up to 5 or 10 - something showing that you've been around a little bit and have no intention of leaving any time soon.

None of my business, but REALLY, you've never bought anything on eBay in the past 15+ years it's been a forefront online marketplace?

That's good advice, but I started off in your position Bitexion and didn't bother with that. If you start with a high value item before you have any feedback, just put in your sales information/details that any potential buyer interested can contact you and speak to you by phone if they are uncomfortable. Granted, people can lie by phone too, but you can also get a read from them and illegitimate sellers are unlikely to bother calling a stickler back. I sent multiple cellphone pics to people before..
mute

Postby sounddoctorin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:19 am

Yup and this is another thing about ebay. HOW LONG DID I KEEP PLEADING with them..to simply have an admin put searches in for

*Rhodes Chroma
* Yamaha CS-80
* Roland Jupiter

..at least... and ..my favorite treatment would have been to put the fake accounts in a SHILL ENVIRONMENT. LOL. Where they could just be eternally tormented with fake bids, replies etc. lol

I'm kinda mean huh.

But I mean... the ones that say "Contact me first before bidding! We can arrange safe transaction! Buy it now 1200 dollars!"

LOL
sounddoctorin

Return to Buyer's Guide