Waldorf Micro Q/Blofeld(Q is here and first impressions)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Waldorf Micro Q/Blofeld

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't really run into any bugs apart from the skippy encoders on my keyboard version. The desktop has been great. I don't use the effects though and don't really sync it to anything. I have used it live but i'm not confinent in it enough to do a lot of work. In the studio it is invaluable.
zoomtheline

Advertisement:

Postby Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Everything I do is by hand, so MIDI sync and whatever will never be a problem. I will use multi-mode though and I will be using it out and about, so that was the only thing with the Blofeld. The Blofeld would be preferable just due to size, but I don't want something that'll give me Hell all of the time either.

Been looking around and there's also the Micron that'd fit the bill as far as VA goes, always overlooked it since it was only 37 keys without after-touch. Since I'd be using it as a module none of that matters, just what looks like a terrible editing interface in the way.

Long story short I want something that'll take the place of the AN1x(and if it does more, even better) that'll fit on top of the VFX for in the studio and I can throw along with my KX5 for small gigs where I'm only doing bass/lead or rhythm work. I've worn out YouTube, they all sound good it just comes down to reliability and quality of the units.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:12 pm

The micron is so terrible to edit that I never use mine. The knobs also get scratchy, which is a pain. I never had a MULTI issue with my Blofeld, but I've only used it live once. The blofeld fits perfectly on the side of my EPS16, which I think uses the same casing as the VFX. Also, none of these will take the place of the An1x. All sound very different, and with less functionality.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Rezisehtnys » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm

It is the same casing, just a lot more buttons on the VFX. :P I know they won't be sonic copies of the AN1x, but I just want some other VA that's portable to use with my KX5 and to also use with the VFX. Just going through manuals the Waldorfs are more capable than the AN1x, and at one point I had an Ion which I know is more so. Of course they're not as hands on, but the Micro Q doesn't seem too bad. Yesterday I found myself wishing Yamaha had made a rack or desktop unit of the AN1x, no the AN200 doesn't count, since I do like it so much. The one thing I don't like about the AN1x is the lack of a weighted keyboard, where as the VFX has a nice keyboard with Poly after-touch. Turns out the Waldorfs and the Micron respond to Poly AT, so that'd be really nice to have. Was thinking since really more so looking for another VA to grab a Micron since they're so cheap, but the interface I'm just not entirely sure about... If I could find a Micron with a smashed keyboard for dirt cheap I could convert it to a desktop unit and keep the AN1x I suppose. This is what I hate, can't try anything out until after you've already bought it... Really should be selling stuff, not buying more.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm

I can wholeheartedly recommend the blofeld regarding sound and it definitely fits logistically but I couldn't go as far to say that it will work with your live requirements as I do not use it that way. I'd be afraid that it would let you down. I can't actually remember your initial criteria but what about the Elektron Monomachine as a module? More expensive obviously. or even a Nova?
zoomtheline

Postby vicd » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Question: ain't Micron/Miniak a bitch to edit externally? Like, it's all done only via sysex, and there are really not so many suitable MIDI controllers able of doing so; not even speaking of some ready-to-go Micron templates/presets for them?
I might be wrong here but that's what my memory serves...

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:11 pm

vicd wrote:Question: ain't Micron/Miniak a bitch to edit externally? Like, it's all done only via sysex, and there are really not so many suitable MIDI controllers able of doing so; not even speaking of some ready-to-go Micron templates/presets for them?
I might be wrong here but that's what my memory serves...

The Micron/Miniak is a bitch to edit externally because it all uses *NRPNs*, not just sysex.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Rezisehtnys » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:14 pm

That's what bothers me, it'd seem the Blofeld is a great match but potential problems is discouraging. Really the basic criteria is a rack or desktop VA to take with my KX5 on small gigs where I'd only be using one hand for playing anyway, suppose would bring on the bigger stuff too when I feel like being out from behind keyboard stands. That and to be used with my VFX to take the place of my AN1x. So that way I also have a 61 weighted keyboard with Poly AT for my VA. That and it'll downsize things some since I'll go from a keyed synth to a rack/desktop. So three birds with one stone really. I had looked into the Novation and Access units, but I'm not really wanting to spend more than what the AN1x will bring. What made the Micron tempting despite the interface. Also what started the initial thread, was the Micro Q and Blofeld seemed to offer the most for the money.

I'm not sure, the only thing happening through MIDI would be what's coming from the VFX. I'm, eh, very old school when it comes to my approach with synthesizers. If it can't be done without the aid of a computer it doesn't get done. :P
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:19 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I don't really run into any bugs apart from the skippy encoders on my keyboard version.

The fix for the encoders is stupid simple. Waldorf neglected to put caps in the circuit to smooth the encoder's output. You can google info on how to fix it yourself for about $5 in parts. It does make you wonder about the corners some mfrs cut for no good reason.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm not sure why, but my desktop doesn't have any encoder issues. I wonder if they fixed it along the way.

Have you tried the Virus, Rezi? Or perhaps go for something like a microkorg even.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 am

Sadly don't have the chance to try much of anything in person before buying, limited to YouTube videos and reviews. The Virus KB/Classic would probably fit the bill though, was reading through its manual earlier and it also responds to poly after-touch like the Waldorf units and Micron. Only thing with the MicroKorg is that 4 voices just isn't enough, otherwise I'd grab a MS2000.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby zoomtheline » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 am

meatballfulton wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:I don't really run into any bugs apart from the skippy encoders on my keyboard version.

The fix for the encoders is stupid simple. Waldorf neglected to put caps in the circuit to smooth the encoder's output. You can google info on how to fix it yourself for about $5 in parts. It does make you wonder about the corners some mfrs cut for no good reason.

Yeah I have done that and it's pretty much fixed apart from one that is intermittent but yeah, I should get around to sorting that. I was just pointing out that it's a problem you may run into if you buy a blofeld, moreso a second hand one.
I put caps from an old radio in that have the same code as the online instructions so maybe that particular cap was not working.
zoomtheline

Postby Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Really odd since it was made in Germany and not in China, if they really wanted to cut corners they'd outsource. Anyhow it's nothing I couldn't fix myself, just about every synth I've owned has gone under the iron at one point or another.

In addition to the Micro Q/Blofeld I'm considering the Micron(can deal with interface just because of how cheap it is) and the Virus B/Classic. It's just a matter of what pops up as from least common to to most it seems: Micro Q>Virus B>Blofeld>Micron. Yes you can still buy the Blofeld new, but I'm talking used units. For some reason something inside me says to wait out for a Micro Q or Virus.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 am

Just bought a nice blue Waldorf Micro Q, comes with the original manual too. I can't wait for it to arrive! Have the manual and will read it from front to back versus skimming it. Suppose will do a factory reset once it arrives and go through it all, then start making my own sounds. Then have to start selling things, wooo....
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77