Ok, so I'm looking for a 8x8 rackmount MIDI patchbay able to merge inputs. I probably also will do with a 6 ins/8 outs.
- Ability to run standalone is A MUST; as is standalone configurability (no computer should be used - just me and the box).
- If it happens to have any computer connectivity, it should be USB and should be able to run on XP and Win7 - be it a full computer-to-MIDI interface, or just patch management.
- Memory-wise: ability to store at least 10-12 patch settings. Dozens = good, hundreds = not needed.
- User interface: something non-spartan and visual is welcome.
- Timing stability: well, the less jitter/slipping, the better.
- I'd prefer one with an external PSU (to avoid all the usual 110/220 hassle), but that's of less importance.
- Channel/event filtering doesn't matter (but good as an option).
So far I have the following on the list:
- Roland A880 (too expensive?)
- Edirol UM880 (too expensive?)
- MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV (with or without USB)
- Digital Music Corp MX-8
- JL Cooper MSB 8x8
- Akai ME80P
Speaking of budget, I'd prefer keeping it within US$100-150 (extendable if any really good reasons).
Would you guys please share any comments, caveats or advice?
Do I miss/omit anything?
Should I look into M-Audio Midisport 8x8 or eMagic Unitor amt8 or any generation of MOTU Midi Express XT, if they happen to be properly manageable from a Windows7/XP PC?
P.S. - yes I did scan the related threads on GS.