Yamaha EX5r or Proteus 2500

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Yamaha EX5r or Proteus 2500

Postby rukiddnme29 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Basically I'm looking for a rackmount workstation with a good sequencer for live setup. I have no interest with using a computer on stage. I prefer all hardware. Basically want to use it for drums and bass. (which has better?)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Yamaha EX5r or Proteus 2500?

There doesn't seem to be very many rack workstations. From what I read, the Proteus has the better sequencer but there are next to no sound examples on the internet. I owned a Emu XL-1 and hated the sounds (regret selling it) Also, the Proteus is more expandable.

I have an AN1x and love it to death but have no experience with Yamaha workstations. I have messed around with them at GC and really like the sound. From what I've read though, Yamaha sequencers are difficult. I'm a lazy musician and prefer easy to use sequencers, like the Korg EM-1 (hated the drum sound or I would just get another one.

I'm sure I would be happy with the sound of either one of these so my main question is about the sequencer.

I understand this sight is mostly pure synth enthusiasts, but the knowledge of all keyboard related topics is far superior to other forums, and gets more replies.

So.....basically, which would you choose and why?

I'm not very particular, just can decide. Also, I know there are billions of analog rack sequencers but I want a workstation with pattern based recording to chain to makes songs. I do Depeche/New Order type stuff.

Or should I go for an M1r or 01r/w? Those seem more dated though.
Mmm Hm
rukiddnme29

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha EX5r or Proteus 2500

Postby Ashe37 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:21 pm

To hear the Proteus2500 sounds you'll have to listen to the different ROMs that are in it... the Pop Composer ROM (Proteus 2000), the Techno ROM (XL-1), the Orchestral ROM (Virtuoso), the MoPhatt ROM, Protean Drums, etc etc. I don't remember what the default ROM for the 2500 is.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Angstwulf » Sat May 24, 2014 4:55 am

Ashe37 wrote:To hear the Proteus2500 sounds you'll have to listen to the different ROMs that are in it... the Pop Composer ROM (Proteus 2000), the Techno ROM (XL-1), the Orchestral ROM (Virtuoso), the MoPhatt ROM, Protean Drums, etc etc. I don't remember what the default ROM for the 2500 is.

The 2500 came with a Composer ROM like the Proteus 2000 but with an extra bank of presets. Or something like that.

There are a few YouTube video demos of the Proteus 2000 that will give you a good idea of what it can do. Ashe37 is right: you have four slots so you can pick up some of the other ROMs to give you a huge variety of sounds.

Also: Proteus2500's are relatively hard to come by. The Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PX-7's are way more common and generally cheaper. They have the exact same sequencer and motherboard but with a set of pads to bash or use as a 2 octave keyboard controller. You can rack mount those as well, so long as you have room for six or so spaces. Adding a Composer ROM to one of those is pretty cheap, too. Prices on the more desirable ROMs [World/Vintage/Protean Drums] varies.

For drums AND bass I'd look at a mix of the Protean Drums ROM plus either the Composer or ZR-76 ROMs.

For drum'n'bass, I'd get some Goldie CD's out of the used bin. :drums:
Angstwulf

Postby baz99 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:44 am

rukiddnme29 wrote:Basically I'm looking for a rackmount workstation with a good sequencer for live setup.

The EX5R is not suited for your purpose (it's more geared for studio use), the Proteus 2500 is far better suited for a live setup.

Or even better, get an E-mu Command Station.
baz99

Return to Buyer's Guide