Selling Yamaha Electone EX-1

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Selling Yamaha Electone EX-1

Postby Rafow812 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 pm

My mother has a Yamaha EX-1 that her husban bought in the 70's and is now looking to sell. It is in great condition and has original manuals and schematics. They only have one of the TX-3 tone cabinets for it. They live in the Montreal Canada area. I don't know much more about it so I am wondering what is a reasonable value for it. I believe he paid over $30k for it originally.
Rafow812

Advertisement:

Re: Selling Yamaha Electone EX-1

Postby nvining » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Hard to say. At the end of the day, it's still an Electone, even if it is one of the neater ones. There's a lot of garbage and hooplah on the Internet from various people saying that the EX1/EX2/EX42/E70 have the same tone generation stuff as is present in a Yamaha GX1 and CS80, but this isn't true. (For one thing, all of these organs actually generate their internal sounds from wavetables.)

I'm guessing you *could* get between 3-5k to the right collector, but you might be waiting for a bit for Mr. or Ms. Right to show up.

It *is* a neat organ, though!
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre
nvining

Gear: CS80, Oberheim Matrix-12, Chroma/Expander/Polaris, John Bowen Solaris, AlphaSyntauri, Minimoog, Rhodes Mk I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200B, Elka X902

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:05 pm

I once took the hassle of having an EX-1 with two TX cabinets shipped from the USA to Germany. It was fully crated by the forwarding company, weighed in at half a ton, *and* it was shipped in a 40' container -- it was a nightmare. Much to my amazement, the instrument survived that massive journey, and as far as I know, it is still in use today.

The EX-1 and EX-2 are wonderful pieces of art and gorgeous to look at -- the EX-2 is considerably more rare (so I´ve been told), there was one for sale a while ago, priced at roughly 1,500 US$ (with TX cabinet included). I´d reckon something around 2,500 to 3,500 US$ for the EX-1 seems to be realistic but not really likely -- after all, it´s a massive piece of furniture, and only a few people actually want to own something like that (which is a shame as I´d love one of these if I had a spare room for it -- and the TX cabinets are awesome as well).

If you´re looking for a quick (and probably less profitable) sale, you might want to put it up for auction on eBay at a low starting bid. If you want to make sure it will find a good home, try Peter Forrest´s VEMIA auction first (there was an EX-42 up for sale earlier this year).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Rafow812 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:09 am

Thanks for the info/advice. It is very helpfull.
Rafow812

Return to Buyer's Guide