Help Me Find Better Alternative To Alesis MMT-8

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Help Me Find Better Alternative To Alesis MMT-8

Postby createsynthesis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Hey so i love my mmt-8, its easy to use and is reliable. That being said, and please correct me if i am wrong, but i dont believe I can record midi tracks in real time live and that is my main goal. like i can record up to 8 tracks and then connect all my synths and play the song but i want to create live for experimental reasons and for shows. For instance Right now I sync my mmt-8 to my analog drums via the clock out of my drum machine into the tape-sync of my mmt-8. this works great for laying down my first track. I start the drum machine the mmt-8 counts down 4 beats then starts recording my midi notes all the while playing them back as i play them. This is great, however i want to do this with all 8 tracks laying down one midi track then another while the song is playing.

so my question to anyone who can or is willing to help me out is: what sequencer will record my midi info and replay it with the ease of my mmt-8 but will also allow me to continue recording more tracks (and loop them back) as i continue to build the song.

Im new at midi stuff i basically want to be able to sequence and create songs in a live setting with 2-3 synths over my drum machines and my bass guitar looped by a boomerang to stay in midi sync.

the gear im syncing/sequencing:
Modular Drum Machine (MFB Seq-1 Sequencing)
Yamaha RX5 Drum Machine
Juno 106
Arturia MiniBrute
Moog Sub Phatty
createsynthesis

Advertisement:

Re: Help Me Find Better Alternative To Alesis MMT-8

Postby wagsauce » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 am

Was thinking about your question. I haven't used an MMT-8 since back when they were "new" so I'm not sure this will work. If I'm understanding your question properly, you may be able to achieve the desired effect by creating each "track" on a different midi channel. I believe the MMT-8 recognizes all 16 midi channels on each of it's eight "tracks". If you set your midi channels accordingly then, theoretically, you can change your midi channel each time you're sending out a new "track" upto 16 total channels. For example, set your drums to midi channel 10. Set your controller to channel 1 and record something to the mmt-8. Change your controller channel to 2 and send something new to the mmt-8. Change your controller to 3 and send something new to the mmt-8, etc. Set the pieces of gear you are controlling to receive from the mmt-8 on their appropriate channel(s) and there you go? I'd be curious to hear back if it works or not.

Best
wagsauce

Re: Help Me Find Better Alternative To Alesis MMT-8

Postby paturn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Im pretty sure you can do that with an mpc .. my mpc500 has recently taken the place of my old mmt8 and the pads are much nicer to trigger then the mmt8 .
paturn

Gear: Quasi Midi Sirius , Waldork Pulse 2 , Korg es-1 , MPC500 , lots of random circuit bent and other wise modded gear .
Band: Morlox, Syphilis Sauna

Return to Buyer's Guide