Polyphonic Workhorse Synth -P08 or something else?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Polyphonic Workhorse Synth -P08 or something else?

Postby Kidney05 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm thinking about getting a nice knobby workhorse synth in the next few months. I keep coming back to the Prophet 08 - I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, but it was too expensive for me before. I'm afraid it overlaps too much with my Tetra and Mopho, but I think I would enjoy it more because of having all the knobs onboard and the ease of use factor. Of course, there's also the P12, but that is definitely too expensive new, so I'd only consider one used down the line, but that would probably be a couple of years.

So what do you guys thing - a knobby workhorse synth, preferably analog. Are there any other contenders to the Prophet 08?
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Advertisement:

Re: Polyphonic Workhorse Synth -P08 or something else?

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm

The P08 technically overlaps with the Tetra and Mopho. However, you'll definitely approach it differently (more voices, more hands, different layout, etc) - which will for sure lead to you to some new sounds!

Its a solid, reliable polysynth. Super compact too (if you happen to gig). I can't think of anything else that beats it out of today's lineup.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Pretty much anything else knobby won't be analog.

A big advantage of the P08 is it can share patches with your other DSI gear and you can chain all three together to act as a 13 voice poly under control of the P08 (less voice stealing with long release sounds) or get 6 voice layers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Kidney05 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Watch on youtube.com

Thanks for the opinion guys. I was watching this video yesterday and thinking of how I don't really play any of my other synths like this, at least yet. I started as a piano player, and this guy is awesome. So I think I'm sold, just a matter of finding a great used deal.

And then, in some time, maybe I'll also pick up the Pro 2 or P12.
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 pm

That guy is a pretty great example of the player's side of a P08. He's almost had me convinced to get one (again, for the 4TH time) But I know, in the end, that the sound just isn't for me!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Kidney05 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Watch on youtube.com

Whoops, actually meant to post this one... but nonetheless, it'll be nice to play something modern, knobby, and reliable, and I think it sounds great. I don't need it to be bassy or anything, I have a ton of monos.
Kidney05

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 am

Sounds like the P08 is the one for you. There is lots of overlap with the MoPho and Tetra though. You might see yourself selling those.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby bhrama » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 am

I've owned a P08..and just didn't mesh with it. Could of been I was always comparing to my P5, which isn't fair. This year I bought my P12 through proaudiostar. They had an "open box" for 2100, offered me 150 more for NIB. Done.

Love this board, but it isn't a do-it-all synth. Like most pieces it excels in some areas immensely, but lacks in others. Honestly, it can sound as analog and/or digital as you desire. Awaiting on the arrival of the Sub37 now. 8-)
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, TR8, Sub37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby corndogssg » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 am

nice vids of the prophet 08, i own a tetra, and if u do pick up a prophet 08 deff spend time hooking the 2 up together for a 12 voice poly analog. i am sure you will love that! i also think that if you have a mopho with keys you can have 5 voice analog poly all ready wich is all ready pretty cool.

my two dave smith instruments i own, the tetra and evolver desktop i use the sound tower programs for, i strongly suggest them, even the free versions are good, the pro (one that cost cash) is of course better, but i really love their programs, and i am sure so do a ton of people :)

ps another option would be getting a juno106 and dropping the kiwi106 board into it, (drop as in spending a whole day de sodering and re sodering) there is a company on ebay which will do it for you for under 200, wich turns the juno106 into the kiwi106 and it is just as good as a modern day poly synth imho as the prophet 08, well to be fair i also have the kiwi patch editor too, so that gives me all the hands on knobyness that i need/love :D
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Return to Buyer's Guide