The Dotcom Project

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

The Dotcom Project

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 pm

EDIT 9/15/14 - since this thread has evolved into me starting a 5u modular, see posts starting on the second page or so if you're interested in following my progress!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

I'm looking for a companion to the magical CS-50. I've never had so much pleasure derived from a single synth before. Timbrally, it's definitely Japanese. Silky smooth like the Jupiter 6 and SH-1000 I've had.

I'd like something to counter it - something a bit bolder.

It's got to be analog, all voltage controlled, no memory. It can be either mono or poly. Something I can sit down and spend quality time with. It doesn't need a dozen LFO's or crazy modulation routing. The ability to create interesting timbres is more important (filter/osc fm, osc sync type stuff) I'm a less-is-more type of guy.

I'm toying around with the idea of something super simple like a Rogue/MG-1. I dunno, might be too simple.

Next stop would be an ARP Solus. Definitely bold and harsh. Price is reasonable.

Ultimately I'd love to have a Model D, but the prices keep psyching me out.

I've spent some time with the old Korg stuff (MS20, 770) - great stuff, but a class of its own and not what I'm looking for. I have a broken Polysix here that I've never heard, but I have my doubts about that one as well.
Last edited by tomorrowstops on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Looking for a second lover

Postby Swayze » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Have you ever considered going modular? A Dotcom system might satisfy that Moog appetite of yours. I've actually considered building one myself, however lately the AX80 has been surprising the shit outta me. I know it's DCO, but damn, it just sounds massive. Thick and punchy basses and great analog piano sounds. Strings, brass and pads sound amazingly smooth yet buzzy with that insane resonance. Definitely a different vibe than the yammie and might be the perfect compliment to the more elegant sounds of your CS50.
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, Microbrute, AX80, JX3P, VSynth, CZ101, Drumtraks

Postby skunk3 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Roland SH-5 / SH-7.
skunk3

Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Postby silikon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Not vintage, but the Analogue Solutions Leipzig might be something you should look at.

Quite aggressive, and not one of those machines you'll see around everywhere. Nice compliment of CV options, and a reasonable routing matrix. The other thing I'd suggest is finding a Future Retro XS (You didn't mention keyboard being a necessity) and having a go with that too. It's quite fun, and can be aggressive as well.

Too bad you're limiting to Analogue only... the Microwave XTk is amazingly deep, can get downright visceral and also find it's way into precise, cleanliness.

..I also find that doing recommendations like this make me miss my kit that much more.

Off to go swallow a bit of scotch and feel sorry for myself. ;)

Edit: Forgot one -- Pro One. Don't know if you've played one... That's the one monosynth that even people who didn't give two shits about what I was playing on (mates, random birds) would comment on how 'heavy' it sounded.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby monolith » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:30 am

tomorrowstops wrote:
It's got to be analog, all voltage controlled, no memory. It can be either mono or poly. Something I can sit down and spend quality time with. It doesn't need a dozen LFO's or crazy modulation routing. The ability to create interesting timbres is more important (filter/osc fm, osc sync type stuff) I'm a less-is-more type of guy.

Sounds like a Korg Mono/Poly would fit the bill perfectly.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Swayze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:44 am

monolith wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:

If you've got $1,500+ to spend, I'd have to agree. Absolutely love mine. But he's already got a broken polysix on the bench. I'd recommend fixing that first to see if he digs that particular Korg sound. I personally love the sound of those ssm filters with a healthy dose of sync/crossmod. Keeps me occupied for hours.
:keys1:

The Pro-One is a great suggestion, always wanted one myself. Don't rule out a Prophet 600 either. I was gonna replace my AX80 with one, but like I said before, I'm enjoying the 30 year-old Akai way too much these days to let it go now.
Swayze

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:17 am

Sounds like time you went modular.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Synthacon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 am

I would see what happens regards the Korg Odyssey, very flexible and a nice contrast to the Yamaha timbre.
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Postby Swayze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:50 am

Synthacon wrote:I would see what happens regards the Korg Odyssey, very flexible and a nice contrast to the Yamaha timbre.

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot about the Kodyssey. The Korg website says it's release is scheduled for next month.
Swayze

Postby tomorrowstops » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I've had a Pro One. It was cool. I wasn't super wild about it though. It's like once you go Prophet 5, everything else Sequential is...meh. Although the P600 was super cool. I have been thinking about that one again.

Either of those Rolands (SH-5/7) would be badass....the money though....ahhhh

The Mono/Poly looks cool, but yeah, I should get the Polysix up and running first.

Modular is that big scary whole-other-hobby-unto-itself thing. I've been thinking about that for a loooong time. You guys are right, it might actually be time to start a Dotcom rig. Or some Mos-Lab (DROOL).

I know it seems kind of religious - 'analog only' - but of my history, the most positive and impactful experiences have been what I described. I certainly enjoy the sounds synths like the Microwave produce, but working with something like that is another thing entirely.

Twisting knobs (or adjusting sliders) doesn't feel like programming to me, more like building something from raw materials.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby moremagic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Swayze wrote:
monolith wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:

If you've got $1,500+ to spend, I'd have to agree. Absolutely love mine. But he's already got a broken polysix on the bench. I'd recommend fixing that first to see if he digs that particular Korg sound. I personally love the sound of those ssm filters with a healthy dose of sync/crossmod. Keeps me occupied for hours.
:keys1:

The Pro-One is a great suggestion, always wanted one myself. Don't rule out a Prophet 600 either. I was gonna replace my AX80 with one, but like I said before, I'm enjoying the 30 year-old Akai way too much these days to let it go now.
yes the mono/polys worth the price imo, but it sounds nothing like the polysix. the polysix uses the same filter chips but in a different circuit that actually gets dirty and o/d's; you can dime all the oscs and the noise and the mono/poly's 2044 is happy and clean and asking for more, so much headroom. t. it can still sound mean as hell with noise and modulation and all, but it always sounds extreme; its cold or hot, where the polysix will be cool or warm.

as far as the solus goes, arent those things more for collectors now? they seem to be about as much as an odyssey these days, and i think an odyssey would cover more ground than the solus if youre going the arp route.
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby moremagic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Twisting knobs (or adjusting sliders) doesn't feel like programming to me, more like building something from raw materials.

thats because it aint programming, its performing :D
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 pm

excellent notion, moremagic.

So I just purchased a Solus....which, by the way, was priced less than half of what Odysseys go for. I'm sure I still paid more than I could have, but these things don't float around too often. Which is even cooler. If I recall from my Solus thread a few months ago, shaft9000 might be the only other user (on here) of this funky beast!

During my re-reading up on it, I discovered that the Solus makes a great controller for a modular, with its full set of CV ins/outs. Maybe its a sign!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Synthacon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 pm

I had a Solus for a while, great little synth, only sold it as I had a 2600 :D
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:49 pm

The Solus finally came to my door yesterday. Badass little thing. Sounds phenomenal!

Unfortunately its got some major tuning issues after a couple of hours being on. We'll see what it does today, but I'm thinking it might need to get some service. Bummer, as I've finally got a musical project in my sights and I'd love to pull the trigger! But what's another month or so?

Speaking of projects, although this one equipment related, I think I might start looking into the modular thing again. The Solus seems to have the proper gate/cv/trigger ins/outs to act as a controller. Like I've said in other threads, I'd like to formulate a solid plan for this project, as to not get caught up in the buying/trying/selling economy of it all.

So far, I really like the idea of working within the limitations of what was initially available back in the day. I've been staring at the back of various Tomita records where he lists exactly what modules he had in his various incarnations of Moog IIIp systems.

The natural inclination is to copy that somewhat and go the 5u route. I know the 'one' function per module thing isn't the most cost effective, but I do like the look and feel of that size. I can build cabinets, so that will save on the costs a bit.

Being in the States, the most obvious manufacturer to go with would be DotCom. From reading, my only fears are 'too vanilla' and being stuck staring at that ridiculous name on every module.

Mos Lab is my dream choice, from the demos I've watched, it really seems to nail the character of the original Moog stuff. Of course, that and the whole shipping from France thing is going to cost me dearly.

Then there's what, the COTK, Moon, and MOTM? IIRC, those three companys offer what the others don't, especially in the way of unique modules. At least one or two of those is the 'other' 5u format, so I'm not sure what that means, as far as ease of integration with others.

Thoughts?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide